TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
pardoal54

Cable Card Required?

Hey folks. I am thinking of getting rid of Dish Network. My current cable provider carries the internet and tv signal on the same cable. That tv signal has analog channels, digital channels and a handful of HD channels with no cable box attached. When plugging the cable from the cable company that provides my internet service, I get all of the channels listed above on my tv. Will I still have to get a cable card for the Tivo unit in order to get the same channels? Thanks AP
pardoal54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardoal54 View Post
Hey folks. I am thinking of getting rid of Dish Network. My current cable provider carries the internet and tv signal on the same cable. That tv signal has analog channels, digital channels and a handful of HD channels with no cable box attached. When plugging the cable from the cable company that provides my internet service, I get all of the channels listed above on my tv. Will I still have to get a cable card for the Tivo unit in order to get the same channels? Thanks AP
Give us more info:
Cable Co, someone here may be able to help.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
pardoal54

located in Virgina, cable provider is Metrocast.
pardoal54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Jonathan_S

You'd be able to tune those channels without a cable-card, but my understanding is that without the cable card to provide the channel mapping the TiVo doesn't know that which clear-QAM channel maps to (for example) "CBS". And it doesn't have any manual remapping functionality; so you can't tell it that yourself.

If the TiVo can't map the channels it won't know what guide data goes with each channel and things like season passes and wishlists won't work. I believe you'd still be able to schedule manual recordings by time and channel; but most of the usefulness of the TiVo relies on accurate guide data/channel mapping.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I have a similar cable setup and have found that without the CableCard, I was able to tune and get Guide Data for the analog channels only. I could manually select some of the ClearQAM channels but there was no Guide Data for them. I am paying for the HD level service (i.e.: standard channels but in HD) and the CableCard was necessary to get those channels because they are encrypted.