TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
nessie

Editing out commercials

I did some research on this topic and think I basically understand it. But I still have a couple questions.

1. It seems like most people use VideoReDo to edit out the commercials, but you also need Tivo Desktop. I only have Tivo Basic so I can't use Tivo Desktop. Does that mean I'm out of luck unless I upgrade to Tivo Plus?

2. When you transfer a show from Tivo to your computer, edit out the commercials, then transfer it back to Tivo, will the Tivo show the shortened time? For example, will it say a show that was formerly 1:00 be 0:41?

3. Are most TV shows protected, so you can't transfer them?

On a different subject, I'd like to transfer some Tivo programs to my VCR. Is it as simple as pressing play on the Tivo program and record on the VCR? Will I be able to do this with Tivo Basic?

Thanks!

Last edited by nessie : 10-14-2012 at 08:52 PM.
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

To help others help you please give:
1. Your location
2. Your cable co.
3. Your TiVo Model -- please give the model #, not just a name.

What is "TiVo basic"? The free version of Desktop will transfer recordings unless they are copy protected. Even Desktop plus will not transfer copy protected recordings.

How many of your channels are copy protected depends entirely on your Cable co. Time Warner is the worst, with all channels except local broadcast stations (the ones you could get with just an antenna) copy protected.

You can free trial VideoReDo uncrippled for 15 days so why not do some experimenting?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie View Post
I did some research on this topic and think I basically understand it. But I still have a couple questions.

1. It seems like most people use VideoReDo to edit out the commercials, but you also need Tivo Desktop. I only have Tivo Basic so I can't use Tivo Desktop. Does that mean I'm out of luck unless I upgrade to Tivo Plus?
Yes. You will have to subscribe to get the networking features.

Quote:
2. When you transfer a show from Tivo to your computer, edit out the commercials, then transfer it back to Tivo, will the Tivo show the shortened time? For example, will it say a show that was formerly 1:00 be 0:41?
Yes, in a way. The progress bar will still show a one hour span but the content (green area) will be shortened.
Quote:
3. Are most TV shows protected, so you can't transfer them?
Depends on how you get your programming. Anything recorded via OTA is not copy protected.
If you have cable, it depends on your cable company.

Quote:
On a different subject, I'd like to transfer some Tivo programs to my VCR. Is it as simple as pressing play on the Tivo program and record on the VCR? Will I be able to do this with Tivo Basic?
You should be able to if your Tivo gives you the 'record to VCR' option on the program screen.
Again, if you are using cable with a cable box, recordings could be protected with Macrovision which will render the VCR recordings useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What is "TiVo basic"?
Tivo Basic was provided on some early models that don't require a subscription. It allows you basic recording features with 3 days of guide data (IIRC), but none of the other features.
Most prevalent on the models integrated with DVD.

Edit: As per another thread, the OP has a Toshiba Series 2 SD-H400

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

If you are only using standard definition, you can record on a ReplayTv DVR that has automatic commercial deletion. (Or actually I should say 'suppression' as the commercials are still there, you just don't see them.) But it you recorded off the output with another recording device then you wouldn't have the commercials.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote