TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
pmyers

Spike TV almost got me..or..Is anybody watching World's Worst Tenants?

A friend turned me onto this show and said I just HAD to watch it.

Here is a link: www.spike.com/shows/worlds-worst-tenants

They basically follow around these 3 people who work for a property management company and evict people from residential and commercial properties.

Almost immediately my "spidey senses" were going off as it reminded me of Operation Repo on TrueTV and how that is fake.

The only thing that almost had me convinced was the ever presence of police, so I went internet searching and of course found out it's just as fake as Operation Repo. Nothing but reinactments of actual stories.

I found this post about the latest episode with the guy shooting the automatic weapons and the police:
Quote:
OK if your going to fake a show do it right. First off “AR 15″ or “M4″ do not have on and off switches on the magazines. “TOY GUN” When the bolt action is back the dust cover for the ejection port will be open. Two, La county sheriff’s and all law enforcement ” C H P ” must have identifying patches on there Uniforms. ” C H P ” badges are seven points not six. As for la county sherriff’s are sex point whit small ball’s on the tip’s of the star. You will not have dispatch get a hold of dispatch if that is how you are talking too???????????
So I guess even the "cops" are actors!

SP deleted!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
sieglinde

I hate those. There are enough good real reality shows on TV. The Navajo Cops one for example. There is fire fighter show on OWN. I was taken in by the Black Gold one though it seemed to be a real oil rig etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Thanks for confirming it is fake, I saw an ad for it, and it felt like it belonged on TruTv.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
RonDawg

Quote:
C H P ” must have identifying patches on there Uniforms. ” C H P ” badges are seven points not six.
While I have not seen the show, this makes it obvious the show is faked. The California Highway Patrol does not get involved in evictions. In California, it is the exclusive domain of the County Marshal (or Sheriff, if there is no separate Marshall's Office) as they are the court's law enforcement arm. Even a municipal police officer does not get involved in evictions, though once evicted if the person returns he/she can be arrested for trespass by any peace officer.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
vertigo235

I hate that, this should be illegal... They should have to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the show or risk huge fines IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
sieglinde

It is just entertainment. I was suckered in by the one about the biker bar. I quit watching once I realized it was fake.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde
It is just entertainment. I was suckered in by the one about the biker bar. I quit watching once I realized it was fake.
Which biker bar one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
sharkster

I agree - they should have to provide full disclosure on fake, or re-created, so-called 'reality' shows. It is truly irksome to find out you were not watching what you thought you were watching.

First, reality shows got huge. Now fake reality shows seem to be the norm.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
magath12

Worlds Worst Tenants is fake

I just watched the same episode with the automatic rifles. When they show the M4/AR15 on the table its clearly a prop gun or airsoft. the buffer tube has no castle nut and it appears that the buffer tube and receiver are molded together, there is no magazine release and no safety indicator on the right side. Totally 100% fake. not to mention the police aren't even correct. bummer that so much bull is on TV now a days. Even reality tv isn't real.
magath12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I assume your talking about that bs show about the Laughing Devils motorcycle club??? I stopped watching it as well when I realized it was all fake too.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

We used to be huge Lizard Lick Towing fans.. Ronnie even married me and my wife and we live about a mile from their shop. When it was on All Worked Up, I do think there was a shred of truth to what took place. Sometimes it seemed "out there" but knowing how people are around here, the repo part is perfectly believable.

However

As the segment was spun off into its own show, it started departing more and more from any sense of reality. We watched Season 1 of their show and we made it through 2 episodes of season 2 and decided there was no way it was real being so far out in left field. We have a town police officer across the street and Lizard Lick Towing is considered to be in our small town and I asked him how often they get called over there for disturbances and he said "Never." That and the terrible "acting" of some of the people they have brought it on the show convinced me its fake.

Heres the odd part tho. Ron's injuries are for the most part real. When he married us, he had a broken arm from a repo gone bad. You should see what was going on in his arm big time.. he said he wasnt going to get a cast on it until after our wedding tho as he didnt want to marry us with a cast on his arm. And I see him in the grocery store pretty regularly and sometimes dude looks like someone has taken a baseball bat to him. For something that's fake, someone forgot to tell someone.

Good for them cashing in on their 15 minutes. I guess at one point they were on or tried out for Wife Swap as well.

Last edited by KungFuCow : 06-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I assume your talking about that bs show about the Laughing Devils motorcycle club??? I stopped watching it as well when I realized it was all fake too.
I think she's talking about Full Throttle Saloon. It's mostly real but they throw in some fake drama, just like with Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
vertigo235

Yeah, Full Throttle is definetly not one of the main offenders. However, I'm sure much of it is manufactured.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Ment

If OP is interested in watching a tenant/landlord type of reality show 'The Super' on HDNet is much better. You learn 1) The super guy is actually trying to help people 2) Some people can't be helped.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
verdugan

Quote:
Almost immediately my "spidey senses" were going off as it reminded me of Operation Repo on TrueTV and how that is fake.SP deleted!
Thank you for not making me waste time on this fake crap.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
sieglinde

The biker bar was the one with bikini contests. Ma's Roadhouse
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Can we just spin this thread off to talk about various other reality shows out there and which we know/suspect to be fake & where the slight possibilities are that they're real? :P

Definitely had my doubts about Lizard Lick. Like KungFuCow, I started by saying "well these are certainly things that COULD be encountered in that part of the country and in that type of work" but there was definitely a lot of over-the-top shenanigans that placed some doubt.

Same with Duck Dynasty. On the surface, these guys are just a bunch of rich-beyond-their-comfort-zone rednecks so you'd expect that they'd do some pretty off-the-wall things to step up the redneckery because they can, and those duck calls are clearly selling without them having to be out there doing much work so they've got to fill the time somehow.

Even Bridezillas, I can see the insane eyes and words of girlfriends I've had in the past on display for "thank God that's not me dealing with it this time" enjoyment, but sane thought would convince me that either they're hamming it up cause the camera's there or they'd go the other way and be on their best behavior for the camera so they don't come off nationally as crazies they truly are.
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
sean67854
Why?

I watched a little bit of Duck Dynasty. It doesn't come across to me as "fake", but rather "manufactured". Which I still don't like. I used to watch Family Jewels until it became obvious most of the situations were setups.

Are there any "reality" shows out there that are real in the sense that the producers or whoever don't prep the principles and don't pre-scout locations and set up cameras?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
If OP is interested in watching a tenant/landlord type of reality show 'The Super' on HDNet is much better. You learn 1) The super guy is actually trying to help people 2) Some people can't be helped.
Thanks for that. Just out of the sake of curiosity, I'm going to check this out. HDNet is pretty new to me, so I hadn't noticed this one yet. Set up a couple of recordings to see if it is interesting.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
pmyers

I certainly think they should be required to put

"Reenactment of actual events" as the show is starting.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
vertigo235

Quote:

Yeah but I'm not even sure that's even true. I think much of it is straight up scripted. Not from actual events.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
sharkster

Quote:

At least they do that on the many true crime shows I watch on the ID channel. I agree that it s/b a requirement.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
I watched a little bit of Duck Dynasty. It doesn't come across to me as "fake", but rather "manufactured". Which I still don't like...
Yeah...I'm a HUGE Duck Dynasty fan but for some reason I give that show a pass. I don't think they are really trying to present themselves as a reality show. Maybe it's just because I find them so likeable, but I'm ok with the "manufactured" aspect of the show.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
sieglinde

I think the one about the Alaskan taxadermists was OK. Also Dream Cars and Monster Men were OK. I suspect there were fake parts in them but not too bad. Even the one with Sarah Palin was not too bad. The worst ones are the totally scripted ones.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
pmyers

I did start a seperate thread to continue the conversation here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=488806
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
TimViper

Isn't a dead give away with shows like these if the "crazy" people on it don't have their faces blurred out? If someone came in your home and you're rolling around in your own feces or whatever and then you start screaming and get thrown to the floor, would you really approve your face being used on the show?
TimViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
mattack

Not really.. Except for LONG ago, when Bunnell was on it (or was that on his post "Cops" "Cops" ripoff show?), I don't think there have been allegations that Cops was faked.... and PLENTY of them (the vast majority of what they show) sign releases.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
sg525

I have to say that this show almost tricked me also until the episode with the guy stuck in the bathtub. As an EMT in Los Angeles I am very familiar with LAFD personnel, vehicles, and response algorithms and as soon as the "paramedics" arrived I knew it was fake. Here's what I observed:
  • LAFD uniforms are dark navy, not white
  • LAFD personnel do not have generic "Paramedic" patches on their uniforms, but rather have official LAFD patches
  • LAFD would send a fire engine along with the ambulance for a call of this nature
  • LAFD uses Ferno stretchers, not Stryker stretchers as shown in this episode
  • LAFD uniforms include badges
  • It would have taken more than 2 "paramedics" to remove this patient from the tub

Honestly, I was willing to give the show a pass despite all of this as I rationalized with myself that they must have reenacted this because finding a person who has been stuck in a tub for several days would have been maybe a little too much to show for TV.

That, of course, made me suspicious about other episodes and when I saw the "police" and the way they behaved I knew it was fake. For instance, in the episode with the "peeping Tom," LAPD would not have rushed two officers to the door at gunpoint when presumably they had been called only for a fight with no reports of weapons and information that the suspect had been placed under citizens arrest. Also, LAPD usually sends more than one car for lots of the types of cases that caused them to call 911.

Then there was the episode with the horse that supposedly had not been let out of a small room in months. The horse just looked too healthy to be abused/neglected.

I needn't continue.

The truth is, had they just put up the normal disclaimer at the beginning of the show saying that these were reenactments of actual events I'd still watch it. It's definitely entertaining and the acting is actually quite good for a reality show of this sort. It's a shame they felt it necessary to mislead the public, they had a good thing going.
sg525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Any idea if this show will be picked up for a 2nd season? I know its fake as all get out but still entertaining.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
locadora

1- I feel very stupid for having spent 2 hours watching this show without realizing it's fake. Even though the scenarios were too good to be true (japanese guy with bloody knife, doctor with no license escaping through a window, "terrorists" shooting assault rifles)

2- Why do they blur the faces of only a few people if everyone is an actor if not to deliberately confuse people as to the "realness" of the show? That's one thing that i find most insulting with this show
locadora is offline   Reply With Quote