TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
The Great Inert

Drive Re-use Question

I'm thinking seriously of upgrading to a Premiere soon and have two questions.

1. Does the Premiere support external enclosures, and if it does, does it have a drive size limit?

2. The 1TB drive I have in my series 2 is about half full. If I put this drive in an external and hooked it up to a Premiere, would I be able to watch the shows I've already recorded?

3. If the Premiere wouldn't immediately allow me to watch the shows, is there a hack I could apply to the kernel that would?

Many thanks!
The Great Inert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Inert View Post
1. Does the Premiere support external enclosures
No. Only certain WD extrernal drives are supported. One can, however, upgrade the internal drive, which is what I would recommend in any case.

Quote:
2. The 1TB drive I have in my series 2 is about half full. If I put this drive in an external and hooked it up to a Premiere, would I be able to watch the shows I've already recorded?
No, but you could copy the shows over to a PC via TiVoToGo using kmttg, Galleon, a web browser, etc., or you could copy them to the Premier via MRV.

Quote:
3. If the Premiere wouldn't immediately allow me to watch the shows, is there a hack I could apply to the kernel that would?
No. No one has successfully hacked a Premier. If you want to consider mopdifying a TiVo, you need to go with a Series III class machine, not a Premier. Indeed, that is one reason I do not recommend the Premier. The S3 is a much more capable platform if one is willing to break out a soldering iron and a PC running Linux.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The S3 is a much more capable platform if one is willing to break out a soldering iron and a PC running Linux.
LOL, you make it sound easy. Replacing the capacitors on the power supply is easy.
SMD soldering is a little more complicated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'd say you should copy the shows to a PC, then they are available on any TiVo on your network. You also won't be wasting 500 gigs of your new TiVo's drive on SD shows.

P.S. Calling it a "Premier" over and over and over is not going to change the fact that it is, in fact, called a Premiere.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
LOL, you make it sound easy. Replacing the capacitors on the power supply is easy.
Yes, although the PROM is not one of the gawdawful high denisty, high pin count SMD devices. It's well within the capability of anyone who is good with a soldering iron, and people who are good enough with a soldering iron are within arm's reach of everyone. One can always have a friend do it or pay someone to do it. It's not like trying to find someone who can build a jet fighter.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
P.S. Calling it a "Premier" over and over and over is not going to change the fact that it is, in fact, called a Premiere.
Huh. I never noticed that.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

[quote=Arcady;9325346]I'd say you should copy the shows to a PC, then they are available on any TiVo on your network. You also won't be wasting 500 gigs of your new TiVo's drive on SD shows.
QUOTE]

That only works if the shows have the CCI byte=0x00. It sounds like from other posts that some cable companies may be setting it to 0x02 even for the analog versions of their channels.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Having done both, I'd call swapping out SMD devices a little more than a little more complicated.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
poppagene
User

[quote=lillevig;9325570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I'd say you should copy the shows to a PC, then they are available on any TiVo on your network. You also won't be wasting 500 gigs of your new TiVo's drive on SD shows.
QUOTE]

That only works if the shows have the CCI byte=0x00. It sounds like from other posts that some cable companies may be setting it to 0x02 even for the analog versions of their channels.
AFAIK CCI values don't affect recordings made on a series 2 tivo.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, although the PROM is not one of the gawdawful high denisty, high pin count SMD devices. It's well within the capability of anyone who is good with a soldering iron, and people who are good enough with a soldering iron are within arm's reach of everyone. One can always have a friend do it or pay someone to do it. It's not like trying to find someone who can build a jet fighter.
What about the security chip? (whatever the lifetime-ness is tied to)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What about the security chip? (whatever the lifetime-ness is tied to)
The TiVo Service Number is what's in the TiVo, Inc., database next to where it has a record of the account status for that TiVo.

Up through the original Series 3 it was contained on the "crypto chip", which is a square Surface Mount Device with 8 or 10 pins on each of the 4 sides.

Moving this to another of the same model motherboard turns the new motherboard into the old TiVo, so to speak.

When the Series 3 HD and HD XL came along, the crypto chip was no longer a discrete integrated circuit but had been "integrated" into another larger more complicated chip which requires considerably more sophisticated equipment to solder and de-solder and re-solder, so that's no longer a realistic option.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
alansh

I believe the serial number is actually in the CPU from the Series3 forward.

Starting with the Premiere, the CPU has an internal boot ROM that's executed first that does a signature check on the main ROM, which makes replacing the ROM unworkable. And the CPU is a 34x34 ball grid array chip. Good luck unsoldering that.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
... And the CPU is a 34x34 ball grid array chip. Good luck unsoldering that.
Or in the case of certain laptop computers, good luck keeping it soldered.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Up through the original Series 3 it was contained on the "crypto chip", which is a square Surface Mount Device with 8 or 10 pins on each of the 4 sides.
Sorry, I was really indirectly asking if moving that was "well within the capability of anyone who is good with a soldering iron".

We've talked of this before.. I guess I should go find my dead S3 drive (but it spins when it gets power) and try to buy an equivalent drive to swap controller boards, hoping that is the issue.. If THAT works (and a computer can 'see' the drive), then I might pay someone to move the crypto chip between S3s… Just to revive it..
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Sorry, I was really indirectly asking if moving that was "well within the capability of anyone who is good with a soldering iron".

We've talked of this before.. I guess I should go find my dead S3 drive (but it spins when it gets power) and try to buy an equivalent drive to swap controller boards, hoping that is the issue.. If THAT works (and a computer can 'see' the drive), then I might pay someone to move the crypto chip between S3s… Just to revive it..
Nowadays a drive made a few days earlier or later may not be "the same" enough for the board swap trick to work.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
mattack

I thought if I got the same model + firmware version of the controller it would be good enough.

The drive's already dead(ish), I'm unlikely to make it WORSE.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
I thought if I got the same model + firmware version of the controller it would be good enough.

The drive's already dead(ish), I'm unlikely to make it WORSE.
Refresh my memory, what brand and model drive and have you hooked it to a computer and run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it?