TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Gerryex

Boardwalk Empire 9/30 **SPOILERS**

No thread yet?

I thought this season is going pretty well. But I have one question. The guy who used to be the federal agent who is now an iron salesman. In the last season didn't he hire a nanny to take care of the baby. And now he moved away and is living with that nanny. And now that nanny is in love with him and having sex with him? If that is all correct that's a lot of things happening that we didn't really see!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Pretty much a full year passed between the end of last season and the beginning of this one. I'm actually guessing that Van Alden actually married the nanny. Also note that Jimmy's mom is now running the Commodore's house as a brothel, that would take some time to set up, adn Nucky is seen as a benefactor to the Catholic Church.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

They gave hints in the last season that the nanny was going to be doing more than simply caring for the baby temporarily.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Richard Harrow is still a great badass character. "Put on your (goofy) hat." "You and your family were good to me. you have nothing to fear from me." Nucky needs to get Harrow back on his payroll, especially with crazy Gip out there.

"You could take an insult from a bunch of flowers."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
SNJpage1

I am going to give this show one more week. I have been really disappointed in season three. There is too many things going on. They can get rid of the former FBI agent. He has added nothing to the show so far this year. Same goes for the church and hospital line. I guess the writers are trying to show Nucky's wife has turned into a manipulator like Nucky. But it still doesnt offer anything to the story. AS for his new girlfriend, all they are doing is showing Nucky as a wimp.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I am going to give this show one more week. I have been really disappointed in season three. There is too many things going on. They can get rid of the former FBI agent. He has added nothing to the show so far this year. Same goes for the church and hospital line. I guess the writers are trying to show Nucky's wife has turned into a manipulator like Nucky. But it still doesnt offer anything to the story. AS for his new girlfriend, all they are doing is showing Nucky as a wimp.
I think the quality of writing and the acting ensemble makes it worth sticking with.

We'll see Alden get sick of being kicked around and take a job with O'Banion. It is weird when you consider that he was a supposedly straight-laced bible thumper, but we saw that transition. Then maybe the G-Men will pick up on who he is.

I think the girlfriend is very cute. Sorta a real life Betty Boop.

The big flight, after Jimmy is gone, is going to continue to be with Gip Rossetti. Maybe Nucky is forced to fight back with Richard Harrow.

Throw in more Al Capone. And that Benny kid with Meyer Lansky and Charlie Luciano is Bugsy Siegel. I though they were peers in the streets of the same age, but they're making it like Benny is a protege.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I think the quality of writing and the acting ensemble makes it worth sticking with.

We'll see Alden get sick of being kicked around and take a job with O'Banion. It is weird when you consider that he was a supposedly straight-laced bible thumper, but we saw that transition. Then maybe the G-Men will pick up on who he is.

I think the girlfriend is very cute. Sorta a real life Betty Boop.

The big flight, after Jimmy is gone, is going to continue to be with Gip Rossetti. Maybe Nucky is forced to fight back with Richard Harrow.

Throw in more Al Capone. And that Benny kid with Meyer Lansky and Charlie Luciano is Bugsy Siegel. I though they were peers in the streets of the same age, but they're making it like Benny is a protege.
Is Benny Bugsy Seigel? I know his real name is Benny.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought Benny is Buggsy, too.

I like this season except for the new guy Rosetti. He's so over the top, he's like a comic book villain.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I thought Benny is Buggsy, too.

I like this season except for the new guy Rosetti. He's so over the top, he's like a comic book villain.
I like Rosetti. He's scary dangerous, and those characters are fun to watch.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

When Nucky made the comment "Bone For Tuna" - was he deliberately trying to P---- Gyp off or was he just wishing him "good furtune"?
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
When Nucky made the comment "Bone For Tuna" - was he deliberately trying to P---- Gyp off or was he just wishing him "good furtune"?
Imagine. Nucky told Owen to say "Bon Fortuna" and Owen wrote down "Bone For Tuna." My take is that Nucky meant nothing by it other than "See ya. We're done. Don't come to me any more," as it was the same thing he said when met Rosetti in person but as he said, Rosetti could find insult in a bouquet of flowers.

You would hope even if Gip didn't have to answer for bludgeoning a random citizen, setting the sheriff on fire would have some repercussions.

Don 'cha wonder how Rosetti has guys working for him? If you worked for him wouldn't you be afraid to say anything? "Funny? Funny how? Like a clown?"
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Imagine. Nucky told Owen to say "Bon Fortuna" and Owen wrote down "Bone For Tuna." My take is that Nucky meant nothing by it other than "See ya. We're done. Don't come to me any more," as it was the same thing he said when met Rosetti in person but as he said, Rosetti could find insult in a bouquet of flowers.

You would hope even if Gip didn't have to answer for bludgeoning a random citizen, setting the sheriff on fire would have some repercussions.

Don 'cha wonder how Rosetti has guys working for him? If you worked for him wouldn't you be afraid to say anything? "Funny? Funny how? Like a clown?"
Roesetti reminds me of the Joe Pesci character in Goodfellas. You'd always have to walking on eggshells when dealing with him. I'm waiting for him to say, "Do I amuse you?"
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I'm at a loss at why (insert Italian Mobster's name here) tried to beat/kill Benny when we had a long scene with Lansky and Luciano discussing eating with him, making sure he's happy, and giving him his cut.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I thought he was genuinely trying to flatter Rosetti, by wishing him well in his own language. Nucky has always been very intent on placating Rosetti...but unfortunately, in an inadvertently condescending way, instead of actually addressing his concerns. He treats Rosetti like an angry, spoiled child; you'd think from personal experience he would know that angry, spoiled children who don't get their way throw tantrums, but then again, he seem to have left the child-rearing in his own life mostly to others.

I suspect Nucky will no longer have much interest in placating Rosetti. Unfortunately, the alternative is outright war, which is something Nucky has always worked hard to avoid. It will be interesting to see how he handles it when it becomes inevitable, or at least when he realizes it has already become inevitable.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nucky can just hire Harrow to make Rosetti #64. Long distance sniper shot. Rosetti's got to have three boatloads of enemies with his charming personality.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I'm at a loss at why (insert Italian Mobster's name here) tried to beat/kill Benny when we had a long scene with Lansky and Luciano discussing eating with him, making sure he's happy, and giving him his cut.
I think the point was that they hadn't yet gotten a round tuit to send Marzetti his cut.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I think we saw a recreation of how Omar got his scar.

I heard him say he got cut in a bar by a guy with a razor.

"Welcome to the family, doc. Now you'll look like me, too."
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
They gave hints in the last season that the nanny was going to be doing more than simply caring for the baby temporarily.
And I think in the "previously on" for the very first episode this season they showed that guy "and his wife" deciding to renting their (currnt) place. (Of course I didn't remember that scene from last season; so this might have been one of those "unseen previous on"s )

So Van Alden is at least presenting her as his wife; whether or not the actually got married.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
tiams

Does Gillian know Nucky killed Jimmy?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Does Gillian know Nucky killed Jimmy?
I think she knows, but she has no claim to that house she's living in, so saying he ran away helps her keep a roof over her head. I think she may also be in denial about it but I'm pretty sure she knows her son is dead.