TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #1561
astroglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Find all of the ones with their negative leads connected to the black wires via the copper on the bottom of the board, and with their positive leads connected directly to either the red or yellow wires, and replace all of them.

Haven't yet had my hands on that particular PS before, so I don't know how many caps that would be, although probably no more than 2 per voltage (i.e., 2 on the red and 2 on the yellow)

Of course any other visually bad (and any that are electrically in parallel with them if you know how to determine that) should also be replaced.

If the place where the negative lead of a cap comes out the bottom of the board is directly connected to where the negative lead of another cap is connected, AND the place where the positive lead goes through is also directly connected to the positive lead of the second cap, that's being in parallel, and if one had gone bad, the other's been trying to do the job of both, and has probably suffered for it.
I'm sorry to report that you've lost me.

I took a couple of pictures, front and back, and circled the three offenders. The primary (C701) is visibly leaking from the pic. The other two (C401 and C402) are lightly bulging. They're obscured here, but they're the only two beneath the heat sink. Based on this information and these pics, could I trouble you to tell me which others you'd replace? Thx!

astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1562
unitron

Without either a schematic of it to study, or having it in my hands, I don't know what circuits any of the others are in, so I don't know which ones are likely culprits, if any.

So the best advice I can give under the circumstances of you not being able to figure out what's paralled across the +5 and +12 Volt outputs is to just replace those 3.

Get replacements with the same uF rating, the same or slightly higher voltage rating, rated for 105 degrees Centigrade, and specifically described as being low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance), and check the height and diameter to make sure they'll fit where the old ones were.

And be sure to observe polarity when putting in the new ones.

Which means putting the - lead where the - lead on the old one was and the + lead where the + lead on the old one was.

Getting it backwards could cause them to explode.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #1563
astroglide

Nod. TYVM again for the pointers.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #1564
GerryFR

More Information On Lost Channels and Pixelation

I was not given direct access to the channel spectrum meter that the Cox tech was using for testing my cable channels, but from what I could see, the meter was displaying multiple channel levels at the same time. The tech, also, only needed one look to tell that the channel signal levels were unbalanced. This tech specialized in Tivo units and was the first Cox tech that I found that knew this much about these units.

Before the tech worked on my cable input, I checked the turner information for data on two different channels. One of these channels was working fine, and the other was dropping out. It turned out that both channels were being transmitted on the same switched channel (222). The power level of these two channels were listed as being almost the same, but I do not know if the power level listed was for this particular switched channel or the overall input power level of the combined combined signal levels.

I doubt that the cable amplifiers, being used by cox, amplify each channel individually, and since the higher frequency cable channels would get attenuated the most, going through cable, it would seem likely that these channels would get sent out at higher power levels than the lower frequency channels. Another factor in my problems may be because on my street, all the utilities are underground. The cable box, for our neighborhood, is in my front yard, and so it would figure that I would probably have the highest higher frequency channel power levels in the neighborhood. I know that this box has the main amplifier for this area, because two Cox techs spend most of the afternoon, last year, replacing this amp. Because of these coaxial signal level long distance losses, A Tivo owner, further down the street, may not have had this problem at all. It also turned out that the Tivo (S3), that had the longest Cox cable run (an extra 75 feet) had the least amount of channel problems. Since the cable channels get sent to my Tivos by the Cox Cisco tuners, it would seem possible that these devices may also be part of this problem.

I have subsequently found out that my HD Tivo continues to have numerous channel videos breaks up and this hangs up the recording on this unit. This Tivo has all of its' channels back, but they all do not work well. Tonight, I attached a coax cable to the input cable, for this Tivo, and ran this 50 foot cable to my S3 Tivo. The S3 Tivo continued to work properly so I may have other problems with the HD Tivo. At least I have one of my Tivos working!

This kind of picture problem is not confined to Tivos, locally. I have friends around 10 miles away from here and they also complain about their Cox channels breaking up and dropping out.
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #1565
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryFR View Post
.......Before the tech worked on my cable input, I checked the turner information for data on two different channels. One of these channels was working fine, and the other was dropping out. It turned out that both channels were being transmitted on the same switched channel (222). The power level of these two channels were listed as being almost the same, but I do not know if the power level listed was for this particular switched channel or the overall input power level of the combined combined signal levels.
What do you mean by "channel 222"? Do you mean 222 MHz frequency? The RF frequency applies to a 6 MHz wide QAM channel which may contain 2 to 6 TV channels and may be either SDV or not. I would assume the signal strength reported by TiVo has to apply to the overall 6 MHz QAM channel because the signal never exists as an analog (i.e., RF) signal beyond the QAM channel point -- it is detected as a digital signal and processed digitally from there on to separate the TV channels.

But: what was the signal strength number for "channel 222" ??
Quote:
I doubt that the cable amplifiers, being used by cox, amplify each channel individually, and since the higher frequency cable channels would get attenuated the most, going through cable, it would seem likely that these channels would get sent out at higher power levels than the lower frequency channels. Another factor in my problems may be because on my street, all the utilities are underground. The cable box, for our neighborhood, is in my front yard, and so it would figure that I would probably have the highest higher frequency channel power levels in the neighborhood. I know that this box has the main amplifier for this area, because two Cox techs spend most of the afternoon, last year, replacing this amp. Because of these coaxial signal level long distance losses, A Tivo owner, further down the street, may not have had this problem at all. It also turned out that the Tivo (S3), that had the longest Cox cable run (an extra 75 feet) had the least amount of channel problems.
What you're discussing is the "tilt" situation as detailed by lrhorer in the post I linked earlier in this thread. And it applies whether the distribution cables are underground or above ground.
Quote:
Since the cable channels get sent to my Tivos by the Cox Cisco tuners, it would seem possible that these devices may also be part of this problem.
What are you referring to as a "Cox Cisco tuner"?
Quote:
I have subsequently found out that my HD Tivo continues to have numerous channel videos breaks up and this hangs up the recording on this unit. This Tivo has all of its' channels back, but they all do not work well. Tonight, I attached a coax cable to the input cable, for this Tivo, and ran this 50 foot cable to my S3 Tivo. The S3 Tivo continued to work properly so I may have other problems with the HD Tivo. At least I have one of my Tivos working!
I would agree with your deduction except for the effect of the 50 foot cable, which like all cables, will change the tilt, i.e., the ratio of high- to low frequency strengths. To rule this out run the end of the added 50 ft cable into the "bad" tivo and see what happens. Again, what actual signal strengths (and SNR and RS Error Counts) are reported for the various channels on the "good" and "bad" TiVo's?
Quote:
This kind of picture problem is not confined to Tivos, locally. I have friends around 10 miles away from here and they also complain about their Cox channels breaking up and dropping out.
This suggests a general Cox problem, although people 10 miles away are not on the same node as you so different cable plant equipment is involved for them. What about the people within 500 ft of you?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #1566
astroglide

Forgot to reply follow up: I replaced those three caps, and all is well again. Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #1567
GerryFR

Even More Information On Lost Channels and Pixelation

I fixed the last of my Tivo HD picture breakup problems today. Earlier in the week, I put an attenuator on the input cable line and this got my Tivo out of its' slow motion response to my remote control. The signal level had been sitting at 100, but after the attenuation, the signal level was at 92. Today, I removed the external hard drive from this Tivo and the picture problems all went away. I had run the Tivo hard drive diagnostic program, on this external drive, several times, and it always passed. I guess that I no longer understand what constitutes a bad hard drive on Tivo systems. Since my HD Tivo only has 20 hours of HD video recording, without the external hard drive, I am going to replace this small internal hard drive with a much larger hard drive as I no longer trust external hard drives.

Since the Western Digital external hard drives are supposed to be built to work like the Tivo hard drives, I wonder why both of the Western Digital external drives, that I have owned, both died in a little over 2 years (out of warranty) while all of my Tivo hard drives (in 4 different Tivo units) lasted between 4 and 5 years.

Jerry
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1568
unitron

Quote:
I fixed the last of my Tivo HD picture breakup problems today. Earlier in the week, I put an attenuator on the input cable line and this got my Tivo out of its' slow motion response to my remote control. The signal level had been sitting at 100, but after the attenuation, the signal level was at 92. Today, I removed the external hard drive from this Tivo and the picture problems all went away. I had run the Tivo hard drive diagnostic program, on this external drive, several times, and it always passed. I guess that I no longer understand what constitutes a bad hard drive on Tivo systems. Since my HD Tivo only has 20 hours of HD video recording, without the external hard drive, I am going to replace this small internal hard drive with a much larger hard drive as I no longer trust external hard drives.

Since the Western Digital external hard drives are supposed to be built to work like the Tivo hard drives, I wonder why both of the Western Digital external drives, that I have owned, both died in a little over 2 years (out of warranty) while all of my Tivo hard drives (in 4 different Tivo units) lasted between 4 and 5 years.

Jerry
The problem with the TiVo-specific WD external drives may not be the actual drive inside the enclosure itself.

It might be the eSATA cable or either of the jacks into which it plugs or maybe it's just the particular span each recording across both drives scheme they use.

Or maybe the enclosure power supply is nothing to write home about.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1569
Jerry Wilson

TiVo S3 pixelation

I started having this problem a few months ago which gradually got worse. I had the local cable guy out and he replaced the two cards, apparently high quality with gold (quality disputed) plated connections. My picture quality has greatly improved. The pixelation problem seems to of greatly diminished, only time will tell. I will add the the worst pixelation was concentrated on MSNBC.

I would like to add this box goes back quit a few years, note my "Join Date" on the left.

Last edited by Jerry Wilson : 02-08-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to add info
Jerry Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #1570
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsm1980 View Post
I am seeing pixelation on my Tivo HD in both HD channels and also on the occasional menu screen.

I am using Component Video 1080i.

As much as I hated my motorola box, I rarely if ever noticed HD artifacts. In 3 hours of playing with the HD Tivo I am already annoyed by them.

The only thing in Tivo's favor right now is that my cable cards are not completely activated so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe the box is off running some process in the background to try to authorize them. But if this continues, the box is going back. I did get the software update with no apparent change.
You should eliminate power supply problems due to "capacitor disease". Open the box and look at the capacitors in the PS. Even slight bulging as shown in the following post (#2) means the cap should be replaced:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894

and
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #1571
slyone

Just found this thread, My TivoHD has wicked pixelation last few weeks Had timewarner check all levels on line-OK-I had to disconnect tivo its soo bad! WTF! Whats the fix?? Should I get a new one and can I transfer my lifetime??? This is BS & sucks
a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1572
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone View Post
Just found this thread, My TivoHD has wicked pixelation last few weeks Had timewarner check all levels on line-OK-I had to disconnect tivo its soo bad! WTF! Whats the fix?? Should I get a new one and can I transfer my lifetime??? This is BS & sucks
Have you watched live and then checked DVR Diags for RS Uncorrected counts? Also monitored Signal to Noise Ratio?

Have u taken a look at the power supply caps for swelling and leakage?

These would be the first things I would do.
SCSIRAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1573
slyone

Hi, no I dont know anything about that? I upgraded the hdd when first bought 5-6 yrs ago & ran a laptop cooler under it. I found when I unplugged cooler at usb it got instantly better but still apparent
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #1574
L David Matheny

Quote:
Hi, no I dont know anything about that? I upgraded the hdd when first bought 5-6 yrs ago & ran a laptop cooler under it. I found when I unplugged cooler at usb it got instantly better but still apparent
It's hard to imagine that reduced cooling could cure the pixelation, but I suppose the USB laptop cooler could have been generating noise or (more likely) the extra load was causing problems for a marginal power supply in the TiVo. As SCSIRAID said, read up on power supply problems and inspect the power supply capacitors.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #1575
unitron

Quote:
Run the cooler again, but this time power it off of something besides the TiVo's USB jack, and see if it doesn't run the same amount of better.

If so, you almost certainly need to fix the power supply before seeing if there's anything else wrong.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #1576
slyone

hey guys finally able to get back to this (missing lots of shows). Got the ole 565 model fired up hehe. I do have 5 caps slightly bulging upwards, C-501, 502, 504 and C-503 & 403. Ya think this could be my culprit for severe pixelation? I'm thinking I buy the 5 and prolly have a local tv shop guy r&r them. Found this from wobly
Tivo HD Digi-Key PN Manufacturer PN
C501 10V 2200uf RLS 0720 P15323CT-ND EEU-FR1A222LB
C502 10V 2200uf RLS 0720 P15323CT-ND EEU-FR1A222LB
C504 10V 2200uf RLS 0720 P15323CT-ND EEU-FR1A222LB
C403 10V 1000uf RLS 0736 P14378-ND EEU-FR1A102L
C503 10V 1000uf RLS 0736 P14378-ND EEU-FR1A102L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap 503 & 403 bulge.jpg (24.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Cap 501 & 502 bulge.jpg (46.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #1577
unitron

Quote:
hey guys finally able to get back to this (missing lots of shows). Got the ole 565 model fired up hehe. I do have 5 caps slightly bulging upwards, C-501, 502, 504 and C-503 & 403. Ya think this could be my culprit for severe pixelation? I'm thinking I buy the 5 and prolly have a local tv shop guy r&r them. Found this from wobly
By 565 you mean 652, right?

There are 2 different HD and HD XL power supplies, made by two different companies, and the cap list for one is not the cap list for the other, however, both lists are on this website somewhere or maybe more than one somewhere.

Consult page 8 of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

and the ones you want to order are...

Skip the biggest one which is rated for 200 Volts--it ony deals with 60Hz to 120Hz frequency, so it's not working very hard, and should still be just fine and very likely to stay that way.

Get replacements for all of the rest of the caps on the board except the really little ones, so, in other words, all those medium size ones near both sides of the heat sink(s).

That way you don't have to worry about replacing 4 or 5 now only to have one or two others go bad in a couple of months from now.

And skim through the rest of that thread until you understand why you need Low ESR caps rated for 105 degrees Celsius.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #1578
slyone

By 565 I meant I'm temp using my old RS-TX20 for now. and Yes, My tivo HD 652-160 has the bad P/S capacitors. It has a 3Y p/s.
update; I ordered the 9 caps from digi & will get 'er done Thanks for the excellent guidance everyone! This board ROCKS!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.jpg (49.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by slyone : 02-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #1579
slyone

I received my 9 capacitors today from Digi-key which was very nicely packaged too! I went to a reputable electronics repair shop and had them install in an hr and $50.00. Powered up & found no remote control action? rechecked everything but no luck, tv picture looks good but no way to input to Tivo? I even checked batteries in remote.....any ideas? Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #1580
unitron

Quote:
I received my 9 capacitors today from Digi-key which was very nicely packaged too! I went to a reputable electronics repair shop and had them install in an hr and $50.00. Powered up & found no remote control action? rechecked everything but no luck, tv picture looks good but no way to input to Tivo? I even checked batteries in remote.....any ideas? Thanks
Check the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the front panel, make sure it hasn't been dislodged at either end.

Do this with the TiVo unplugged.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #1581
slyone

Quote:
Check the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the front panel, make sure it hasn't been dislodged at either end.
Do this with the TiVo unplugged.
LOL, Thats exactly what it was! I feel soo stupid, the ribbon on board was lifted way up on one side..Thanks! Thanks for all the guidance too Unitron, This is f..ing awesome! Picture looks great again even with all my draws on the usb's. I really kinda wanted to do the soldering myself and almost bought the $50.00 kit at RS today but was apprehensive on possibly screwing it up I never really did any soldering let alone fine detailed work as this.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #1582
unitron

Quote:
LOL, Thats exactly what it was! I feel soo stupid, the ribbon on board was lifted way up on one side..Thanks! Thanks for all the guidance too Unitron, This is f..ing awesome! Picture looks great again even with all my draws on the usb's. I really kinda wanted to do the soldering myself and almost bought the $50.00 kit at RS today but was apprehensive on possibly screwing it up I never really did any soldering let alone fine detailed work as this.
It's probably one of the simplest and easiest soldering jobs (except for the TiVo power supplies in the S2s where the heat sink bends over at the top and makes it harder to maneuver the caps underneath), but the important thing is you once again have TiVo.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #1583
slyone

Quote:
It's probably one of the simplest and easiest soldering jobs (except for the TiVo power supplies in the S2s where the heat sink bends over at the top and makes it harder to maneuver the caps underneath), but the important thing is you once again have TiVo.
Exactly Wow, how I've come to depend on dvr-ing and having 2 tuners. just an update, all is working perfectly!!

Last edited by slyone : 02-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #1584
DeeSeven

I've had some pixelation issues and what not and finally got most of them either fixed using an attenuator and replacing cables. Now I still get pixelation in some channels can I put 2 attenuators together to see if that would improve it? or am I just wasting my time?
DeeSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #1585
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSeven View Post
I've had some pixelation issues and what not and finally got most of them either fixed using an attenuator and replacing cables. Now I still get pixelation in some channels can I put 2 attenuators together to see if that would improve it? or am I just wasting my time?
You can cascade attenuators but you need to know whether signal strength is really your problem. While tuned to a pixelating channel, got to DVR Diagnostics and see what the SNR, Signal Strength and RS Error counts are for that channel.

and
Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #1586
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSeven View Post
Well...after spending a whole 15.00 for top-quality Panasonic caps from digi-key, then another 50.00 for local install and having it work flawlessly(Thanks to this thread), I'd say you're wasting your time.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #1587
guava

Quote:
cool, here's my experience:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515931
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #1588
dantruong

My situation-
Started off with just analogue cable for about a week-- no macro-blocking on analogue channels or QAM, occasional very minor macro-blocking on menus
Two SA cable cards (s-stream) installed- still no macro-blocking on analogue channels, but now random macro-blocking on hi-def and digital channels, brief, but every 3-10 min, on every hd and digital channel.
I'm not a expert, but according to my cable tech, I have "excellent" signal strength (he checked it with some kind of meter, both outside, and at the line going into the Tivo box...
I can also confirm the Tivo shows 100% signal on all channels...
I don't know if this info will help the experts on the forum narrow down the cause, but I thought it was worth posting my experience--
I would hope a fix or official announcement from Tivo would happen soon, as everyone seems to be getting different answers from Tivo customer service... I tend to believe Megazone, as he has stated on his blog and in these forums:
"do note that TiVo is aware of them and is working on additional updates to correct them."
Well come visit Best gaming laptop reviews and Best phone In The Worldand Best Pc Laptop and tech new online with us. best phone from amazon.

Last edited by dantruong : 05-07-2014 at 09:27 PM.
dantruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #1589
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruong View Post
My situation-
Started off with just analogue cable for about a week-- no macro-blocking on analogue channels or QAM, occasional very minor macro-blocking on menus
Two SA cable cards (s-stream) installed- still no macro-blocking on analogue channels, but now random macro-blocking on hi-def and digital channels, brief, but every 3-10 min, on every hd and digital channel.
I'm not a expert, but according to my cable tech, I have "excellent" signal strength (he checked it with some kind of meter, both outside, and at the line going into the Tivo box...
I can also confirm the Tivo shows 100% signal on all channels...
I don't know if this info will help the experts on the forum narrow down the cause, but I thought it was worth posting my experience--
I would hope a fix or official announcement from Tivo would happen soon, as everyone seems to be getting different answers from Tivo customer service... I tend to believe Megazone, as he has stated on his blog and in these forums:
"do note that TiVo is aware of them and is working on additional updates to correct them."
I see from your other post you are using old TiVo software. Get that updated before doing anything else. There are many possible causes for macro-blocking and you are not likely to get much help from either Tivo or cable co support.

It could be a failing hard drive. You have an expander drive so it could be either drive or the expander case electronics or the SATA cable connection. Start by reseating or replacing that cable.

It could be failing capacitors in the power supply, which must be replaced. See this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394
Look at the power supply capacitors and see if any are bulging like this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894

Tivo's will macro-block if the signal is too strong. Since all your channels are at 100 you may have this issue. They may be a lot more than 100. Insert an inline attenuator or additional splitter to decrease the signal.

and
Old 04-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #1590
HerronScott

I recall this was an issue with Cisco/SA CableCards in the initial release of the Series 3 OLED software that was fixed with one of the first updates.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote