TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Premiere changes channels by itself

Every weekday morning I get up at 5:30am and turn the local NBC news. At 6:00am, the channel being displayed on the TV changes to another channel without any warning or "going to record a suggestion" message. Sometimes it changes to Showtime or AMC, it seems random.

Even stranger is if I press the INFO button after it has changed to this seemingly random station, the info screen indicates the TiVo is still on the local NBC station showing the news.

A simple channel up and then channel down via the remote changes the display back to the local NBC news.

Any ideas why or how to eliminate this from happening every morning?

This is on a 2-tuner Premiere.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

It sounds like you are changing tuners as the *other* tuner is changing channels, and that your original is unchanged, but just not currently on the screen.

Try pushing the "live" button next time to flip to the other tuner. If you are watching this live, for whatever reason, hit record and it should not change tuners on you.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Every weekday morning I get up at 5:30am and turn the local NBC news. At 6:00am, the channel being displayed on the TV changes to another channel without any warning or "going to record a suggestion" message. Sometimes it changes to Showtime or AMC, it seems random.

Even stranger is if I press the INFO button after it has changed to this seemingly random station, the info screen indicates the TiVo is still on the local NBC station showing the news.

A simple channel up and then channel down via the remote changes the display back to the local NBC news.

Thanks.
Do you have a tuning adapter? I think that could cause such a problem, but I have no idea what you could do about it. I don't even know whether the problem would likely be in the TiVo's software or the TA's firmware or the cable company's head-end equipment or maybe even your cable card. But when in doubt, blame the cable company.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Do you have a tuning adapter?
Yes, I do have a tuning adapter. Also, I have Time Warner Cable.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
audvidman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post

Thanks.
I am an installer and had problems with ir devices changing randomly, are there any florescent lights in the room? Florescent lights can mimic ir and change your channel. I rarely find them in a home but commercially there abundant. good Luck.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

I just posted in a different thread about a very similar problem.
I record a morning news program every morning, and right as it ends the recording, the channel changes, but the Info still says I'm on the channel I was recording.
So one minute it's on ABC recording, finishes the recording, and *POOF* I'm watching PBS... even though the Tivo still says it's on ABC.
I check the info on both tuners and neither says its on PBS.
I am receiving a basic cable feed from a direct coaxial plug-in... no tuning adapter or anything.
I think Premieres are possessed!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
JSearfoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasservision View Post
I just posted in a different thread about a very similar problem.
I record a morning news program every morning, and right as it ends the recording, the channel changes, but the Info still says I'm on the channel I was recording.
So one minute it's on ABC recording, finishes the recording, and *POOF* I'm watching PBS... even though the Tivo still says it's on ABC.
I check the info on both tuners and neither says its on PBS.
I am receiving a basic cable feed from a direct coaxial plug-in... no tuning adapter or anything.
I think Premieres are possessed!
I have been having this problem ever since the last update. I know a couple other people that are having the problem also. I have also noticed that the channel it *POOF*'s to is not always a live channel. (Meaning that if you switch to that channel the movie that was playing is not actually what is currently on that channel. It is showing something that was on that channel at a earlier time). I was going to try removing my tuning adapter but since you say you don't have one I doubt that will help. I have been debating weather to call Tivo and report it to make sure they know about the problem as I have not seen it mentioned here on the forums. So I figured not very many people are having the problem. It happens to me almost daily.
JSearfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSearfoss View Post
I have been debating weather to call Tivo and report it to make sure they know about the problem as I have not seen it mentioned here on the forums. So I figured not very many people are having the problem. It happens to me almost daily.
Call TiVo to report it. Also, post about it over at the TiVo forums.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp

TiVo reps now monitor those forums.

The more people that complain, the better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Tony Chick

I've had similar things happen, where the channel being viewed isn't the one the Tivo thinks its tuned to. The Time-Warner head-end has apparently changed the SDV stream from under it to something else. Changing channels and back fixes it as the TA makes a new request to the head-end. Perhaps coincidentally, the Tivo usually thinks its tuned to my local NBC station
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Call TiVo to report it. Also, post about it over at the TiVo forums.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp

TiVo reps now monitor those forums.

The more people that complain, the better.
Thanks! I'll definitely do that if it gets the bug fixed!