TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Tivo Questions

We have three locations we spend time at. At each location we have a cable company provided DVR. We are currently in SW Florida with Comcast and an Explorer 8300HD DVR which my wife is very unhappy with (too little room to store her TV programs). I tried adding an external drive to the DVR but it did not work. I was thinking perhaps a Tivo with a Comcast cable card might be more practical. But I have some questions.....

Is the Tivo member/subscription married to the Tivo box? In other words could we carry the Tivo to another location, hook it up with the appropriate cable card and be up and running with the same membership?

Do any of the newer Tivo DVR's have a built in wireless connection?

Can I assume that Comcast in Florida, Time Warner in SC and Optimum in NJ will be able to provide cable cards that will work with one of the newer Tivo's?
tmozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Yes the subscription is tied to the box. You would have to rerun the set up each time you move to get the proper guide data. You would also have to swap out the cable cards and have them repaired to the unit each time as well. All three of the cable co's you mentioned can give you a card that will work with a Tivo. Some may also require a tuning adapter. None of the boxes have built in wireless but you can get an adapter.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

If I purchase the $150 Tivo 500mb Premiere (which is all we need as far as I can tell) with the MoCA Network adapter, will the Tivo still need a phone line connection. Or is the internet connection all that is needed? I'm just trying to work out the logistics.

Price wise the unit is about $130 on Amazon and $150 from Tivo. However the MoCA adapter is only $50 from Tivo and a bit more (over $100) from Amazon. If Tivo offers free shipping and no sales tax (like Amazon), I guess I should order direct from Tivo.....
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
lpwcomp

You should also make sure that MOCA will work at all three locations. Also be aware that none of the Premieres have built-in phone line support. All Premieres have built-in wired Ethernet and the Premiere XL4 and Premiere 4 have built-in MOCA.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

OK that is what I am trying to establish: which of the Premieres have built in MoCA. Apparently the $150 current base model does not which means at least another MoCA adapter purchase ($60+).

Is there any reason why MoCA would not work? Basically all three locations have a cable modem/wireless router combination........
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

You know, which ever unit we purchase, we will not be streaming. I have Netflix but have a couple Roku's to cover that. And we will not be streaming between DVR's (the Tivo will be the one and only DVR if it all works out). I think I would be fine with the wireless adapter....... Correct?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
You know, which ever unit we purchase, we will not be streaming. I have Netflix but have a couple Roku's to cover that. And we will not be streaming between DVR's (the Tivo will be the one and only DVR if it all works out). I think I would be fine with the wireless adapter....... Correct?
I would think so, yes since all you are doing is getting guide data and such over the net. A little more net access if you use the HDUI, but you should still be OK.

As far as MOCA goes, I really don't know what will be required to make it work,I just know that it doesn't always work. You would probably at least need a MOCA adapter at the router end. I assume that all 3 locations have cable internet?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Yes. All three locations have internet and working wireless.....
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Yes. All three locations have internet and working wireless.....
Well, if you can't go wired Ethernet, then in your situation, you should go with a wireless-N bridge and forget about MOCA.