Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob

Given that Chuck Lorre is the creator/producer, I have a hard time believing that it was never going to end up as anything but a generic sitcom. That's his specialty.
Yeah people acting like it was a different show or other than a broad multi cam sitcom are denying reality.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
But that's very much not how it started out. For the first two years, it was a very sincere (and funny, and not always flattering) look at geeks. Since then, it's been all stereotypes...nothing you couldn't get from preconceptions and Google.

I have a theory that somebody very important behind the scenes on the show, who was intimately connected to geek culture, left after the second season.
If you look who wrote most of the first season episodes almost all of them were there after season 2.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #33
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
One is during a discussion that the guys are having with the department chairman (it could have been during the episode about the turf war over the office). Howard thinks he's not getting enough respect and says indignantly "I have a master's degree!" And the department chair says "Who doesn't?"

Maybe this is only funny when you've been in graduate school and hung out with PostDocs, but I laughed so hard, I had to pause the TiVo.

I don't expect them to hit on that same note over and over. Well, Sheldon does, but that's Sheldon.
I only leave in the last quoted paragraph, because I think with the joke, you're seeing everything as a nail. (Mixed metaphor?)

I see that as simply a "I'm more educated than you" joke, not some deep graduate school joke. Even if that one was done by the department chair, Sheldon repeatedly makes the "I'm smarter/more educated than you" joke (which is why I left in the quoted part).

I don't see it as being any different, just given by a different person.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #34
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I'll buy that (assuming you meant it as corrected here ), but I insist that in the early days of the show they acted like actual geeks, and now they act like stereotypes of geeks.
I disagree. I thought the first couple of seasons, which I've been watching now and again in syndication, that they acted like cardboard cutout stereotypical geeks.

Now the characters are human beings that happen to be geeks. Aside from Sheldon who almost has no humanity at all.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote