TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
quattro100

Upgraded my drive, now getting green screen of death

I have 2 tivo HD's. 1 of them developed a hd crash. I have lifetime service on both of them. When I called Tivo, they wanted to charge me to transfer my lifetime service should I decide to purchase another drive through them. I dont agree with that policy. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS 1tb drive and used MFS Tools to copy the good drive from the other Tivo. It worked fine until maybe 1 week later when I received the first Green Screen telling me there was a problem. It cleared itself up and the tivo continued to work but has come back 4-5 times again since then, each time clearing itself up.

I am looking for help as I hope there is a fix to my problem. Wife gets very pissed when she cannot record and watch her shows.

Thanks.
quattro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

I would take it out and run the Seagate drive tests on it. Did you choose this drive after verifying that it worked in a tivo?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro100 View Post
I have 2 tivo HD's. 1 of them developed a hd crash. I have lifetime service on both of them. When I called Tivo, they wanted to charge me to transfer my lifetime service should I decide to purchase another drive through them. I dont agree with that policy. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS 1tb drive and used MFS Tools to copy the good drive from the other Tivo. It worked fine until maybe 1 week later when I received the first Green Screen telling me there was a problem. It cleared itself up and the tivo continued to work but has come back 4-5 times again since then, each time clearing itself up.

I am looking for help as I hope there is a fix to my problem. Wife gets very pissed when she cannot record and watch her shows.

Thanks.
You don't buy drives from TiVo, you buy TiVos, and they may transfer the lifetime subscription but they won't transfer the shows you already have recorded.

The 2TB WD20EURS is currently available for $100 from Amazon and newegg and works in the S3 HD.

Do you still have the original 160GB drive that went bad?

Have you checked the power supplies for "capacitor plague"?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

Thanks.
Seagate drives have rathered mixed reviews on the Upgrade Forum.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Seagate drives have rathered mixed reviews on the Upgrade Forum.
I had one die after about 2 years. Got it replaced under warranty and that one died less than a year later. I moved on to a WD Green drive.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
unitron

I don't know if there's any particular quality differnence between Seagate and WD, but there may be a "who gets along with a TiVo better" difference that has nothing to do with how the drive works in a computer.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
dsnotgood

Soon as I saw Seagate....that's your problem. Get the western digital one for 100 and use that one. Sea gates are trash. Everyone I had broke on me. Now I only get western digital .
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
unitron

ST310005N1A1AS is the model number of the box.

Did you happen to make a note of the model number on the sticker on top of the actual drive?

Where did you buy it and what did you pay?

How many years warranty does the box say?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

WD
Seagate
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
ggieseke

Maxtor
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
quattro100

Finally stopped working, now issue with original

Well, my upgraded drive finally stopped working. As I mentioned in the beginning, I have 2 Tivo's. I removed the larger defective drive from my tivo and put back in a good working drive. My tivo started up fine but now I get a message that my service is not activated. I contacted tivo and they told me to connect to the service 2x, unplug the tivo to reboot and then connect to the service again. My service level should be C. After the reboot and connection I was getting the correct service level of C ( liftetime ) but after a short period of time it goes back to service level A and gives me the message again that I need to activate service. Any ideas??
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Well, my upgraded drive finally stopped working. As I mentioned in the beginning, I have 2 Tivo's. I removed the larger defective drive from my tivo and put back in a good working drive. My tivo started up fine but now I get a message that my service is not activated. I contacted tivo and they told me to connect to the service 2x, unplug the tivo to reboot and then connect to the service again. My service level should be C. After the reboot and connection I was getting the correct service level of C ( liftetime ) but after a short period of time it goes back to service level A and gives me the message again that I need to activate service. Any ideas??
Was it the original hard drive that came out of that Tivo?
Or did it come from another Tivo of the same model with a different TSN?

If the latter, then you need to perform a Clear & Delete Everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
quattro100

was original

It was the original drive from this Tivo. I called customer support and they said that there was an issue with their system that was causing the problem. I will check later today to see if it is resolved.

I need to research a new drive as I want the larger capacity. Are all western Digital drives usable or which one is preferred.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
It was the original drive from this Tivo. I called customer support and they said that there was an issue with their system that was causing the problem. I will check later today to see if it is resolved.

I need to research a new drive as I want the larger capacity. Are all western Digital drives usable or which one is preferred.
For an S3 HD (TCD652160), you should look for a good price (around $100) on a WD20EURS with a 3 year warranty.

You may wind up stuck settling for a 2 year warranty at $120.

I'm not saying it's the only 2TB model that will work, but the other ones I know about aren't available as new anymore (WD20EADS, WD20EARS).