TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
news4me2

Another new Set-Top Box?

I got an email from DVDFab announcing they are working on a new STB. No real details were provided on what it will offer, but they were soliciting interest from their software customers about some potential features. More details can be found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/newsletter/new...20929g-en.html
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
lessd

I got that also, but I don't think it has anything to do with their (DVD/ BD) movie copy software and with many new HDTVs having Internet built in I think all these "other" set top boxes will go away (except gaming type boxes).

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I got that also, but I don't think it has anything to do with their (DVD/ BD) movie copy software and with many new HDTVs having Internet built in I think all these "other" set top boxes will go away (except gaming type boxes).
That is the conclusion I have come to. Streaming is basically being built into everything sooner or later there will be no need for stand alone streaming devices. The question I have is what else will "converge" we basically have the following:
  1. Video display devices
  2. Sound reproduction devices (amplifiers and speakers)
  3. "Computer" or software playing devices (devices for using various software/apps, playing digital media, etc.)
  4. Tuners (AM/FM, SirrusXM, OTA, Cable, Dish, Direct, etc.)
  5. Gaming devices
  6. Solid digital media players/recorders (currently CD, DVD & Blu-ray)
  7. Internet Access devices - including access to: The General Internet, Specific streaming services, and Cloud digital media storage.
  8. Local DVR devices
  9. Local digital media storage devices
  10. LAN & WAN devices (modems, routers, switches, Ethernet/WiFi/4G connection devices, etc,)
All of the above are being combined in various ways now - it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

It seems like quality and cost containment would be pushing convergence in different ways.

Where do other people think we are heading?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 10-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think no matter what you will need multiple devices if you want to get the best features. Since even if they combine everything into one device, it won't do everything well. There will always be other devices that do certain things better.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
mattack

Since there's no mention of DVR functionality, it's not really competition.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
MeInDallas

Sounded to me like they are aiming at something like a Roku or a WD TV Live box. Neither of which would interest me.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think no matter what you will need multiple devices if you want to get the best features. Since even if they combine everything into one device, it won't do everything well. There will always be other devices that do certain things better.
I'd forgo being best at some things to get a unified UI and a single remote. Not sure I'd be a rarity either. So there's plenty of market for "does most things good enough". Most people probably have one thing they thing is most important and would be willing to skimp on others to get "one box".

I've always dreamed of TV's coming with expansion slots like a PC and you could slap in a TiVO card, an Xbox card, a bluray card, etc. When a better DVR comes along pull the card out and slap in another.

Baring that- I thought maybe HDMI with CEC would get me my one remote dream- that seems a mess too.

Even if i had to get locked into one brand I'd prefer an integrated solution.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I'd forgo being best at some things to get a unified UI and a single remote. Not sure I'd be a rarity either. So there's plenty of market for "does most things good enough". Most people probably have one thing they thing is most important and would be willing to skimp on others to get "one box".

I've always dreamed of TV's coming with expansion slots like a PC and you could slap in a TiVO card, an Xbox card, a bluray card, etc. When a better DVR comes along pull the card out and slap in another.

Baring that- I thought maybe HDMI with CEC would get me my one remote dream- that seems a mess too.

Even if i had to get locked into one brand I'd prefer an integrated solution.

Integrated solutions are wife/girlfriend friendly (at least for people over 50).