TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Dancing With the Stars 10/11/12

Ok, so the singers on this show have been on my last nerve since about the second song I ever heard them sing in season one. But this episode truly went the full nine yards clear down to rock bottom with their rendition of Radiohead's classic, Creep.
I kid you not I literally felt my central nervous system recoil.
There just are not words.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Cainebj

LOL - it took me a second to realize what they were singing and i just started laughing at the ridiculousness of Creep being performed as a Jive or Quickstep or whatever it was.
Cainebj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

We had a big power outage in the middle of the show, so I still haven't finished watching the part of the show that recorded, and I lost the end entirely.

But the dance gods must be POed with me because despite the blackout, Bristol Palin's dance still got recorded.

So she thinks she's hot stuff for taking Mark to the gun range? I'm not impressed because when her dad was on Stars Earn Stripes
Spoiler:
he got his ass kicked by the girls.
So there.

Edited to add: what I saw:
  • Melissa and Tony's jive
  • Bristol and Mark's country crapola faux qSabuickstep
  • Helio and Chelsea's jive
  • Apolo and Kirina's quickstep
  • Sabrina and Louis's quickstep
  • Kirstie and Max's jive
  • Emmett and Cheryl's quickstep
  • Drew and Anna's jive
  • Joey and Kym's quickstep
  • Shawn and Derek's jive

So that means I missed Gilles and Peta, and Kelly and Val.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
LOL - it took me a second to realize what they were singing and i just started laughing at the ridiculousness of Creep being performed as a Jive or Quickstep or whatever it was.
Reading "as a Jive or a Quickstep or whatever it was" made me go when I read your message the first time. Good choreography shouldn't leave you in doubt about what dance they're doing (which Mark Ballas is guilty of, this week).

But now that I've re-watched Joey and Kym's Quickstep, I can see how music like that could distract you so much that you couldn't remember which dance they had done. On the first viewing, I just said "boy this music sucks", turned off the part of my brain that pays attention to the music, and watched for the performance and technique bits.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

So apparently that Creep was a version done by some yahoo called Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine-

Creep

Yeah, I'm still not over it.
Major disconnect.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

IMHO to do choreography to music which is not ordinary ballroom music, you need to:

1) use the actual music, not some cheesy rearrangement
2) do a real show dance, where you can shift dance steps at will to fit the music

If you try to shoehorn a single dance style into a song, when the song's own rhythm isn't right for it, you get "wallpaper music" instead.

But when non-ballroom music is used properly, the results can be brilliant.

As Tony says, the music tells you where you need to go. You MUST go where the music takes you for this to work. You can't be locked into just one dance.

The only way we could see a show dance like this on DwtS is in the freestyle round, and even then we'll have Wheeler and the awful arrangements mucking things up.

I will say this for the singers. I don't know if they are actually bad, or it's that Wheeler doesn't know how to place his arrangements in the best part of their ranges. I suspect some of both, but since my vocal training was in junior high school, WTF do I know about it? (Apart from what we all know, that is: the music on the show is horrible.)

And if you want to do covers which are wildly different from the original, you need better musicians, like The Cranberries (love their cover of "Iron Man" as a torch song) or Brave Combo ("People are Strange" as a polka).

In any case, you can't have both. You can't do the shoehorn-a-dance-into-the-song crap AND the ridiculous cover with the Harold Wheeler arrangement at the same time.

It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote