Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Yes, I was making a joke, equating Abu with the Simpsons character, as sometimes is my wont. And noting my disdain, if you will, of Nazir.
Ees OK. Jest too many bay bees.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And that burgeoning look of joy on her face as she left the bazaar was pure brilliance.
Yes, that whole scene was great-switching head scarves, cold-cocking that guy, hiding the gun, yelling "My husband needs help!" then making a run for it... I loved every second.... and so did she!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Yes, that whole scene was great-switching head scarves, cold-cocking that guy, hiding the gun, yelling "My husband needs help!" then making a run for it... I loved every second.... and so did she!
Better yet, she didn't...clearly she was in terror and hated every moment of it...until it was over and it sank in what she had done.

I don't see her meds schedule lasting much longer.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
He probably didn't think everyone in the bunker was evil, yet he came close to blowing them all up.
As I said last season, that was also very hard to believe. An American marine who is upset about a boy being killed by an American bomb just does not decide that an appropriate response is to bomb a bunch of Americans. But at least those guys were mostly government people. And he still did not go through with it. But now we are to believe that Brody is going to help Nazir bomb civilian targets? It just does not make sense.

As for Nazir blackmailing Brody, that is absurd. Who would believe Nazir? And Nazir has a lot to lose if Brody tells the CIA everything he knows.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-02-2012 at 11:57 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
And that burgeoning look of joy on her face as she left the bazaar was pure brilliance.
Brilliant enough to name an episode after!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #36
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Carrie kneed that guy in the groin and he went down in pain. To have "cold-cocked" someone is to knock them unconscious. LOL! So I don't know if that was an unintended pun on your part, but I had to LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #37
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Carrie kneed that guy in the groin and he went down in pain. To have "cold-cocked" someone is to knock them unconscious. LOL! So I don't know if that was an unintended pun on your part, but I had to LOL.
How about cok-clocked? Knee-balled?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #38
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Hot-cocked?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #39
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
It was an intended pun, since there was a gun involved...LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #40
jr461

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Yes, serious. Are you being deliberately obtuse? Of course it happened. Killing innocent civilians at a US target is almost certain to include boys and girls.
Calling someone "obtuse" can get you 30 days in solitary!

Great episode. And I don't think the "is he" or "isn't he" tension will fade much since we don't know what he will or won't do, knowing Nazir has him by the cahones. He got the list of numbers. What's next?

I thought their method of incorporating Carrie back into the fold was clever enough and I also loved the big smile at the end!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #41
brebeans

Quote:
As I said last season, that was also very hard to believe. An American marine who is upset about a boy being killed by an American bomb just does not decide that an appropriate response is to bomb a bunch of Americans. But at least those guys were mostly government people. And he still did not go through with it. But now we are to believe that Brody is going to help Nazir bomb civilian targets? It just does not make sense.

As for Nazir blackmailing Brody, that is absurd. Who would believe Nazir? And Nazir has a lot to lose if Brody tells the CIA everything he knows.
I don't understand how you can continually enjoy watching this show, when you find, basically, the whole premise (that a US Marine POW has been turned and brainwashed to be a terrorist for the "other side"), hard to believe or that his actions don't make sense.

Brody is doing everything he does BECAUSE he was brainwashed/turned. Yet, he is not a totally different person. He knows he needs to pretend to be loyal to family and country yet, in reality he is no longer. Sure, he gets conflicted, but overall, he was brainwashed and now he needs to cover his tracks, lest the US find out that he is 'on the other side'. Or, even if he IS having second thoughts, what he has already done makes a damn good motive for having to continue to lie and cover his tracks.

Of course Nazir can blackmail Brody. It doesn't matter who believes Nazir, as long as Brody believes that he can be "outed" and the resultant consequences.

Relax and enjoy the show!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
tiams

Quote:

Brody was not just upset about Issa being killed, he is mad at the U.S. govt for lying about the attack. I think it was the current vice-president that Brody saw denying the attack on TV. I thought that was why he wanted to kill the vice president last season.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
billypritchard
Embiggener

I thought the best scene was definitely the one in the garage. Jessica expressed the right amount of shock/outrage that would come with finding out someone you thought you knew had changed something so fundamentally about themselves and hadn't told you. Plus the added shock Muslim aspect of it of course.

Then the moment when Brody shows that he was more concerned with the Quran than with what she was expressing. Cold stuff.

Later when he was burying the book at first I thought it was because he realized Jess was right and he needed to hide that part of this life completely. Nope! He's really just doing what he needs to do as a good Muslim. Damian Lewis is awesome.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
Of course Nazir can blackmail Brody. It doesn't matter who believes Nazir, as long as Brody believes that he can be "outed" and the resultant consequences.
Brody would have to be a complete moron to think that he could be "outed" by Nazir. If a terrorist says a US Congressman is working for terrorists, virtually no one would believe it. Brody is not a moron. Therefore he cannot be blackmailed in that way.

And as I said before, Nazir has a lot to lose if Brody tells the CIA all that he knows. Nazir would have to be a complete moron to completely alienate Brody, instead of keeping him and using him for whatever Brody would agree to do.

The whole blackmail idea is absurd.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #45
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Brody was not just upset about Issa being killed, he is mad at the U.S. govt for lying about the attack. I think it was the current vice-president that Brody saw denying the attack on TV. I thought that was why he wanted to kill the vice president last season.
It would be believable if Brody was all about assassinating the VP (and any other government official involved in Issa's death). But Brody is now participating in terrorist plots to attack US civilian targets. That is not believable unless he has been completely brainwashed. But Brody appears to be operating at a high intellectual level -- he is making intelligent choices and appears to think things through most of the time. So they want us to believe that terrorists can change a US marine so that he will help with attacks on US civilians, but otherwise leave his mind intact. That is very hard to swallow.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Brody would have to be a complete moron to think that he could be "outed" by Nazir. If a terrorist says a US Congressman is working for terrorists, virtually no one would believe it. Brody is not a moron. Therefore he cannot be blackmailed in that way.

And as I said before, Nazir has a lot to lose if Brody tells the CIA all that he knows. Nazir would have to be a complete moron to completely alienate Brody, instead of keeping him and using him for whatever Brody would agree to do.

The whole blackmail idea is absurd.
Except we don't know what Nazir has. A video of Brody during his "captivity" well-kept and praying with other terrorists would be enough to ruin Brody's reputation forever. Video of conversations between them talking about how evil the Great Satan is and how it must be destroyed, of course, would do much worse.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #47
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
It's pretty disconcerting that Apu's hottie 'journalist' has the combination to the Director of Counterterrorism's safe inside the CIA. How the hell did they get that?
Its a GREAT show, but this bothered me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
Brody is doing everything he does BECAUSE he was brainwashed/turned. Yet, he is not a totally different person. He knows he needs to pretend to be loyal to family and country yet, in reality he is no longer.
YES! Brody is not doing all these things just because of the boy's death. He also has been brainwashed over the years he was held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Later when he was burying the book at first I thought it was because he realized Jess was right and he needed to hide that part of this life completely. Nope! He's really just doing what he needs to do as a good Muslim. Damian Lewis is awesome.
I thought exactly the same thing!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #48
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Except we don't know what Nazir has. A video of Brody during his "captivity" well-kept and praying with other terrorists would be enough to ruin Brody's reputation forever. Video of conversations between them talking about how evil the Great Satan is and how it must be destroyed, of course, would do much worse.
There is also the dangling issue of the SD card with his confession on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #49
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Its a GREAT show, but this bothered me too
Don't worry about it. Obviously they change the safe combination as infrequently as they change their encryption keys.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #50
john4200

Quote:
Okay, that is a good point. But it does not address why Nazir would ever do that to Brody. If Brody is exposed by Nazir and has nothing to lose, then Brody may as well tell the CIA all he knows about Nazir's operation, which would be very damaging to Nazir. But if Nazir just says, okay, Brody will not help with anything that he believes could be used to attack innocent civilians, I will just use him for whatever he will agree to do. Nazir comes out much better in the latter scenario.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #51
Dawghows

Quote:
If Brody is exposed by Nazir and has nothing to lose, then Brody may as well tell the CIA all he knows about Nazir's operation, which would be very damaging to Nazir.
Except that it seems that Brody doesn't know very much about Nazir's operation. He didn't know the operative that came to see him; he didn't know anything about what he was supposed to steal; he seems unclear (as do we) about exactly what Nazir is expecting of him. I'm not sure how much Brody can do, other than confess to the things he himself has done for Nazir.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #52
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
There is also the dangling issue of the SD card with his confession on it.
In the season previews, somebody hands that off
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #53
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
Except that it seems that Brody doesn't know very much about Nazir's operation.
Except that Brody does know quite a bit about Nazir's operation. Certainly enough that telling the CIA everything he knows would be very damaging to Nazir.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #54
Dawghows

Quote:
Except that Brody does know quite a bit about Nazir's operation.
Like what? He could give them the name and/or location of the guy who made his suicide vest. Otherwise I don't remember any instance where we've had any indication that Brody knows anything other than the orders he's given. He didn't know Walker was still alive until he saw him. As I said before, he didn't even know his own contact person. He didn't know what information Nazir wanted from Estes's office (before the contact person spelled it out). He didn't know what Nazir intended to do with the information. He doesn't know anything at all beyond the instructions he recieves, and even then he only knows his own small part.

I'll concede that if the CIA knew Brody was working for Nazir they would interrogate the hell out of him, and rightly so. But I don't think they'd learn much more than the fact that Nazir is a threat, which they clearly already know.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #55
busyba
The Funcooker

The scene in the Quaker Meeting at the school pissed me off. The teacher makes a point of admonishing the girl for language and interrupting the speakers, but she doesn't say a single thing about what the boys were spewing, even though religious freedom (for all) and non-violence are two of the cornerstones of the Quaker religion.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #56
markymark_ctown

so i just got around to watching episode...sucked back in for another ride

how much time do you think has passed since the end of season 1 in show time?
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote