TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
BradJW

Homeland - Ugh...

I just started watching this show. So far I really like it. But I wish they would have done the marines a LOT better.

Sgt. Brody wears Dress Alphas a lot. He's got Gunnery Sergeant Insignia and three hash marks, but he's called Sgt, not Gunny or Gunnery Sergeant.

Except in Episode 8. He's wearing his dress blues (finally) but he's wearing Sergeant Insignia, and only 1 hashmark.

And that damn haircut!

I've been able to overlook the haircut, but the uniform mistakes are too much to handle!

Still, I do love this show. Next time, please at least talk to someone with a military background. It'd make the show that much better.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just got this from Amazon and am going to start watching it tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Ereth

I have only watched the Pilot (picked up during the Showtime marathon that my Hopper deleted half of!) but the thing that got me right away was the return sequence where they brought him out and said something like "Hello Marines" and the Marines did a "hoo ah!" which is an ARMY thing, not Marines. "Semper Fi" would have been most appropriate, but that really bugged me.

Heck, that was even a plot point on Jericho a few years ago, so you'd think all the writers would know it by now!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

You just have to let stuff like that go.

For instance, just about every single lawyer show completely mangles even the most basic elements of a trial. It used to bother me, but now I just roll my eyes at it and move on.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
the return sequence where they brought him out and said something like "Hello Marines" and the Marines did a "hoo ah!" which is an ARMY thing, not Marines.
It's been a while since I watched the pilot, but are you sure they said "hooah" which, like you said is an Army call, and not "oo-rah", which is the Marine Corps version?

--Carlos V.

Last edited by Unbeliever : 10-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I have only watched the Pilot (picked up during the Showtime marathon that my Hopper deleted half of!) but the thing that got me right away was the return sequence where they brought him out and said something like "Hello Marines" and the Marines did a "hoo ah!" which is an ARMY thing, not Marines. "Semper Fi" would have been most appropriate, but that really bugged me.

Heck, that was even a plot point on Jericho a few years ago, so you'd think all the writers would know it by now!
Marines most definitely do Hoo ah - but it's pronounced Ooh Rah. I've never heard marines yell Semper Fi in a group like that. That's more a one on one greeting.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
You just have to let stuff like that go.

For instance, just about every single lawyer show completely mangles even the most basic elements of a trial. It used to bother me, but now I just roll my eyes at it and move on.
Yeah. Still loving this show. Episode 9, Crossfire right now.

Should be caught up in a day or two.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I just started watching this show. So far I really like it. But I wish they would have done the marines a LOT better.

Sgt. Brody wears Dress Alphas a lot. He's got Gunnery Sergeant Insignia and three hash marks, but he's called Sgt, not Gunny or Gunnery Sergeant.

Except in Episode 8. He's wearing his dress blues (finally) but he's wearing Sergeant Insignia, and only 1 hashmark.

And that damn haircut!

I've been able to overlook the haircut, but the uniform mistakes are too much to handle!

Still, I do love this show. Next time, please at least talk to someone with a military background. It'd make the show that much better.
I've watched this show since minute zero. Read every thread we started on it. Watched the Season Two Premiere Sunday.

And in all those posts in all those threads and in all those reviews I've read, not once has anyone commented on it, or felt the need to start a thread about it.

At what point does one simply enjoy a show, as versus tear it apart? I'm not denying that each of us has our own nits & picks. And certain scenes or events or backgrounds or phrases used or clothes worn will make us go "oh no way" because we know better, maybe because of our job or background. But really, who cares? Unless it's a game changer, or so outside the canon of the universe so created, who really cares?

I don't mean to go off on you like this, but lately these TCF threads are full of people who tear scenes & shows apart for the most minor details. Something that 99.99% of viewers not only couldn't pick up on, but don't care about if so informed.

Questioning why steam engines don't work in Revolution is to be expected.

Complaining about a uniform having the wrong stripes is just nitpicking.

Enough!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Questioning why steam engines don't work in Revolution is to be expected.

Complaining about a uniform having the wrong stripes is just nitpicking.

Enough!
I'm not sure I agree. In a show where the storyline deals with politics and the military and political intrgue and geopolitical terror plots, part of the setting IS the US military. And getting it right is important.

I mean, if a minor character had the wrong uniform on, but was in the background, so what? But when we see a character multiple times, I expect attention to detail.

But that's just me. Oh, and perhaps a few others, too.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote