TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Music Choice, No Longer a Choice

Not that it is a great loss, as all the videos were SD only, But I see TiVo has removed Music Choice Video downloads as an option.

(Note: if you want 720p and 1080p Music Videos on your TiVo just download them from YouTube and use pyTivo to push or pull them.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
HerronScott

Interesting, I just watched a couple of videos last week. Didn't use it that often as the choices didn't seem to change very often but I did check it out every couple of months.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
LoREvanescence

I just downloaded a bunch of music video's last week.

Today I went in to see if they had any lifehouse videos and was greated by the follower purple tv screen after clicking on music choice

Quote:
Music videos from Music Choice are no longer available for download. Music videos previously downloaded will be available in your Now Playing or My Shows list until they expire or until you delete them. Thank you for using Music Choice
Edit: Just asked TiVo about this. They stated that they were not able to renew their contract with Music Choice and the Contract has Expired.

Looks like this feature is gone for good.

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 10-02-2012 at 08:44 PM.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Elryzor

No notice for Loss of Music Choice

Well this just sucks. My family used Music Choice a lot.

I don't let my kids use YouTube without supervision. I sure don't want to watch them look for videos they like.

The lack of warning really angers me too. It's too much trouble to let us know they were having trouble renewing their contract? But they can put a stupid bounty add all over the place whether I want it or not?

compared to TiVo, Comcast is starting to look like a better company all the time.
Elryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Not that it is a great loss, as all the videos were SD only, But I see TiVo has removed Music Choice Video downloads as an option.

Quote:
(Note: if you want 720p and 1080p Music Videos on your TiVo just download them from YouTube and use pyTivo to push or pull them.)
True. In fact, last I checked, you couldn't even get HD music videos from iTunes by paying for them (SD only), but you can get them from YouTube for free.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I didn't even know this was a thing.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That's too bad. I browsed every now and then to see if I recognized anything new. Not much appealed to me.
I come from 80's heavy metal and the videos that did appeal to me, I had already seen elsewhere.

Side note: I miss MTV's Headbanger's Ball and Z-rock radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elryzor View Post
Well this just sucks. .... The lack of warning really angers me too. It's too much trouble to let us know they were having trouble renewing their contract? But they can put a stupid bounty add all over the place whether I want it or not?

compared to TiVo, Comcast is starting to look like a better company all the time.
Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. TiVo has their faults, but cable companies are inherently EVIL.
I agree that TiVo should have let us know. They deprived us of the slightest possibility that us users might have been able to contact the owners of Music Choice and persuade them to continue the contract.

Question is, what happened?
Did negotiations even take place?
Personally, I think it was just dropped due to lack of subscriber usage.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
RojCowles

We used to use Music Choice on Tivo but ...

Compared to Music Choice on the Verizon STB thats sitting next to our Tivo the selection of music or rate of updates wasn't a patch on it. I contacted Tivo support ages ago about this and got the impression that Tivo only had the most basic level that the Music Choice folks offer. (Pure arm-waving speculation follows) Maybe Tivo didn't renew as the people behind Music Choice may have pushed Tivo to pony up for a more comprehensive/expensive package that they couldn't justify the price of in terms of adding or keeping subscribers? Sucks for us of course but probably makes sense from a corporate perspective.

Now if only the YouTube app could play the official, Vevo?, music videos I'd be happier but pretty much any time I try and get one of these up for the kids on the Tivo I just get a "This video cannot play" and wind up watching one of the thousand cover ... errr ... tribute videos that pop up all over the place. Even if I save one of these as a favourite, log onto my YouTube account on Tivo and check they don't even get listed under Favourites. Not sure if this is a codec issue with these official videos or another contract hitch.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It really was a poor offering. There was no way to browse the full list, yet, they didn't have enough of a selection to make searching worthwhile either.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
LoREvanescence

Yeah, the Vevo would be nice. For what ever reason those vidoes, and other music videos not through them are set with a flag that only allows them to be played through a computer. They are h.264, I am able to download them and push them to my tivo. I can't play them on my iPad either, it justs tells me the video is not authorized for this device.

Yeah, the music choice wasn't the best package. It wasn't updated often, no hd and it didn't list half of what they had which always required me to search. I searched a lot more though when the iOS app came out and I could use the keyboard functionality.

I kind of miss music choice though because I don't have any cable company box, so I can't access cox on demand what so ever.

Edit: Just checked my email and I got a response from Music Choice. I had emailed very politely one of their SVP on this and asked if he could direct this to who ever could would their magic. (I couldn't find any real contact information on their webpage other then leave a comment so I Googled for management contact info.

I just got an email back from someone in their public relations department with the following response:

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out to us. You are correct that our content is no longer on Tivo, but we are maintaining a dialogue with them as to how we might work together in the future.

Keep in mind that if you are a Cox broadband subscriber, you can also access some videos on our web-site via musicchoice.com.

Josefa Paganuzzi
Director, PR
Music Choice
328 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
It does seem now like it was tivo who backed out on the deal and Music Choice wanted to continue a relationship and still hopes to work with tivo in the future.

If anyone want's his email address or phone number pm. But I wonder if TiVo managment would be better to reach out too?

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 10-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I figure either TiVo wants to drop the service and let the contract lapse or Music Choice wants more $$ and TiVo doesn't want to pay it.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Would it kill them to communicate with customers?