TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
I've never had a bare drive shipped in anything but bubble wrap from Newegg. Amazon always packages drives separately in their own boxes with shock mounts.
I got a couple of Samsungs from newegg about a year or so ago, each was in a plastic clamshell which I suspect is how Samsung sent them to newegg, so a lot depends on how the retailer gets it from the manufacturer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
But I agree that Newegg, more often than not, uses bubble wrap. Every drive I have ordered from Amazon came in an appropriately designed package.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
bmgoodman

Thanks all for the heads-up. I ordered 2 from Amazon for just under $200 delivered. Now just to confirm, these drives will work in an OLED Tivo S3, a Tivo HD, and any Premiere?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Thanks all for the heads-up. I ordered 2 from Amazon for just under $200 delivered. Now just to confirm, these drives will work in an OLED Tivo S3, a Tivo HD, and any Premiere?
I'm using one in an S3 HD right now, I've seen reports of success in Premieres, and I see no reason it shouldn't work in an OLED--the using all 2TB of it is a separate question, and without an actual 648 on which to experiment, I don't want to make any promises.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #35
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm using one in an S3 HD right now, I've seen reports of success in Premieres, and I see no reason it shouldn't work in an OLED--the using all 2TB of it is a separate question, and without an actual 648 on which to experiment, I don't want to make any promises.
Well, I wouldn't care about getting the full 2 TB capacity so much as it working at all. It looks like all the drives are moving to 4K and I fear that soon it will be hard to get a 1 TB or greater drive that will still work in the OLED Tivo S3.

I appreciate your feedback!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Well, I wouldn't care about getting the full 2 TB capacity so much as it working at all. It looks like all the drives are moving to 4K and I fear that soon it will be hard to get a 1 TB or greater drive that will still work in the OLED Tivo S3.

I appreciate your feedback!
Apparently the EURS is one of the early 4Ks that report 512 to the outside world.

Although I think the problem with newer drives might also be the 6Gb/s and can't negotiate down slow enough for the TiVo's SATA port.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
HerronScott

Quote:

The wdidle3 utility allows you to either disable Intellipark or to set the time it waits to a very high number, like 300 seconds (5 minutes), which effectively does the same thing, because a re-booting TiVo will try to talk to the drive within the first 60 seconds or so.
No need to run wdidle3 on the AV drives as it's already disabled (or at least it was on the WD20EURS that I got from Amazon a month ago).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
andyw715

I just got mine today...wrapped in typical static bad, surrounded by a plastic clamshell, in a small box surrounded by crumpled up brown paper in a larger box.

Good packaging.

Will have to take it home and run through the tests prior to preparing it for my Tivo HD.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #39
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Also Amazon has dropped their price today, I bet just to match Newegg though, I picked up 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B0042AG9V8/

My experience, no need for wdidle3. I have never tweaked the WD20EURS.
Amazon says they don't price match except on television sets, so I guess it must be some sort of amazing co-incidence that the price dropped by $20 to the same level newegg put that model on sale for for 2 days, and when the 2 days were up another amazing co-incidence happened and the price jumped back up by $20.

Funny place, the universe.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #40
innocentfreak

Quote:
Amazon says they don't price match except on television sets, so I guess it must be some sort of amazing co-incidence that the price dropped by $20 to the same level newegg put that model on sale for for 2 days, and when the 2 days were up another amazing co-incidence happened and the price jumped back up by $20.

Funny place, the universe.
No coincidence. They have a link at the bottom of the page where you can post a link of a better price. Sometimes they will match it and update their price and sometimes they won't. I think it depends on how many reports they get.

The price match they don't do is 30 day price match, but they do offer that on their TV sets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Good packaging.
By who's standards? Try sending that drive back to the manufacturer packaged that way and they'll void your warranty. Newegg is notorious for improper packaging of OEM drives unless it comes in an individual box with foam or plastic inserts. The drive needs to be isolated (i.e., shock mounted) by keeping it separated from the surrounding container and held firmly within the box. I don't like buying drives from Newegg for this very reason.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #42
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
By who's standards? Try sending that drive back to the manufacturer packaged that way and they'll void your warranty. Newegg is notorious for improper packaging of OEM drives unless it comes in an individual box with foam or plastic inserts. The drive needs to be isolated (i.e., shock mounted) by keeping it separated from the surrounding container and held firmly within the box. I don't like buying drives from Newegg for this very reason.
Um ok. I think this is pretty good packaging:

"I just got mine today...wrapped in typical static bad, surrounded by a plastic clamshell, in a small box surrounded by crumpled up brown paper in a larger box."

Certainly meets your requirements.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Um ok. I think this is pretty good packaging:

"I just got mine today...wrapped in typical static bad, surrounded by a plastic clamshell, in a small box surrounded by crumpled up brown paper in a larger box."

Certainly meets your requirements.
Then I sincerely hope you're not in charge of shipping a lot of packages if you think this is OK. The drive is basically enclosed in a thin plastic form-fitting shell that is roughly the same size as the drive (this is how Seagate drives are usually packaged), which offers zero support or shock isolation, and then stuck in a larger box with crumpled up kraft paper. It' s not secured in any way and is free to rattle around in the larger box, which is definitely not good for the drive considering the amount of (mis)handling it receives in transit. Package handlers are only concerned about moving a box from point A to point B as quickly as possible and don't care about how they treat your package in the process. I've seen them literally throw packages from a conveyer into a bin 10-15 feet away when sorting them.

Newegg has resorted to using brown kraft paper as filler rather than bubble packs or peanuts. This wouldn't be an issue with a retail drive kit since the drive is already supported inside the retail box by a couple of foam blocks or molded plastic carriers.

I had to return a drive with an RMA a while back and the packing instructions provided on the manufacturer's website were very specific. If I had sent it back the same way Newegg ships I'd have voided the warranty.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 10-04-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
lessd

Quote:

I had to return a drive with an RMA a while back and the packing instructions provided on the manufacturer's website were very specific. If I had sent it back the same way Newegg ships I'd have voided the warranty.
You are correct that why I do an advance replacement and return the drive in the packing i receive from the manf itself. They do a temp charge on my CC, and remove that charge when the drive is received, only a problem for people that are at their CC spending limit. Now i keep a few good shipping boxes I receive for a hard drives so if i have to send one back I have extra boxes.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
andyw715

Quote:
Then I sincerely hope you're not in charge of shipping a lot of packages if you think this is OK. The drive is basically enclosed in a thin plastic form-fitting shell that is roughly the same size as the drive (this is how Seagate drives are usually packaged), which offers zero support or shock isolation, and then stuck in a larger box with crumpled up kraft paper. It' s not secured in any way and is free to rattle around in the larger box, which is definitely not good for the drive considering the amount of (mis)handling it receives in transit. Package handlers are only concerned about moving a box from point A to point B as quickly as possible and don't care about how they treat your package in the process. I've seen them literally throw packages from a conveyer into a bin 10-15 feet away when sorting them.

Newegg has resorted to using brown kraft paper as filler rather than bubble packs or peanuts. This wouldn't be an issue with a retail drive kit since the drive is already supported inside the retail box by a couple of foam blocks or molded plastic carriers.

Well I dunno. This looks like acceptable packaging to me.

Oh and the plastic is more of the "molded plastic carrier" vs "clamshell" variety.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #46
cherry ghost

Quote:

Oh and the plastic is more of the "molded plastic carrier" vs "clamshell" variety.
I don't think he'd be arguing with you if you had mentioned that at first
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #47
mr.unnatural

If you're talking about the molded plastic pieces that fit over each end of the drive that keeps the drive suspended in the center of the shipping box then I would definitely have agreed that it's sufficiently packaged. Seagate sells their drives in a molded plastic clamshell case that simply encases the drive which is then placed in the molded plastic carriers in the shipping box.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
andyw715

I had a different drive shipped to me by HP in a clamshell in a box. The clamshell was effectively the same as the photo above, suspending the drive. Thus my clamshell reference. Oh well.

In anycase, looks like newegg is shipping these nicely.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
unitron

Quote:

That's just the way Amazon sent mine the other day, except they omitted the outer box and the wadded up paper.

Just the drive inside the sealed anti-static bag with those plastic end pieces snugly inside that one box.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
mr.unnatural

Quote:

FWIW, I was viewing this thread on my office PC and the image wasn't coming through so I could only go by the written description. The method of packaging in the photo is perfectly acceptable for shipping and it's what the manufacturer's specify when returning drives via an RMA.

Newegg used to ship just the bare drive placed in a box with little or no packing material around it. You can only imagine the amount of shock sustained by the drive in transit.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #51
innocentfreak

Quote:
I just got mine today...wrapped in typical static bad, surrounded by a plastic clamshell, in a small box surrounded by crumpled up brown paper in a larger box.

Good packaging.

Will have to take it home and run through the tests prior to preparing it for my Tivo HD.
Meanwhile I just got three hard drives I ordered from Newegg that were packaged really poorly.

The three drives were packaged with some styrofoam divider to hold them together but not touching. They were then wrapped in a sheet of bubble wrap and placed in the middle of the packing paper. The outside box looks like it has been in a war since it is somewhat flattened and the sides bent inwards. I will post pics when I get home.

The last time I got drives like this from Newegg one of the drives was physically broken inside with plastic pieces floating freely in the anti-static bag.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #52
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Meanwhile I just got three hard drives I ordered from Newegg that were packaged really poorly.

The three drives were packaged with some styrofoam divider to hold them together but not touching. They were then wrapped in a sheet of bubble wrap and placed in the middle of the packing paper. The outside box looks like it has been in a war since it is somewhat flattened and the sides bent inwards. I will post pics when I get home.

The last time I got drives like this from Newegg one of the drives was physically broken inside with plastic pieces floating freely in the anti-static bag.
This is typical of what I'm used to seeing from Newegg. I love the company but I fear they staff their shipping department with poorly trained monkeys being paid minimum wage. I can understand why they've switched from packing peanuts to kraft paper (i.e., cheaper and more environmentally friendly), but the level of protection it provides is far less. If the item being shipped comes in a retail package then it's not usually a problem. It only becomes an issue when shipping something like a bare hard drive or other OEM item.