TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
nickb6

TiVo wireless N adapter switching from 5 to 2.4 ghz

Hello,

I switched from wired to wireless recently because we are about to move and I wanted to figure out my wireless set up as it seemed like an easier solution at our newer place. I'm having a terrible time with the adapter so far.

I followed the instructions for pressing the WPS buttons on my Cisco E2500 router and the adapter, but it only connected at the 2.4ghz band. I then the did manual set up via web browser and used only the 5ghz ssid. This worked for a week or so and the lights were blue I the adapter. Last night for no reason at all, it now shows green, which means it is connected at 2.4ghz. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for any help.
nickb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb6 View Post
Hello,

I switched from wired to wireless recently because we are about to move and I wanted to figure out my wireless set up as it seemed like an easier solution at our newer place. I'm having a terrible time with the adapter so far.

I followed the instructions for pressing the WPS buttons on my Cisco E2500 router and the adapter, but it only connected at the 2.4ghz band. I then the did manual set up via web browser and used only the 5ghz ssid. This worked for a week or so and the lights were blue I the adapter. Last night for no reason at all, it now shows green, which means it is connected at 2.4ghz. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for any help.
Is anything else on your network running at 2.4Ghz? That may be the cause for the downgrade.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
poppagene
User

As far as I can tell, the tivo wireless adater only works on the 2.4 band.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
nickb6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Is anything else on your network running at 2.4Ghz? That may be the cause for the downgrade.
Everything except the TiVo adapter is running at 2.4ghz. When the lights are green on the adapter, there is noticeable video lag when streaming recordings from one TiVo to the other, so I need to figure out how to get it to stay at 5ghz. The strange thing is that I only gave it the 5ghz ssid to connect to, so I don't know how it switched to the 5ghz band.

Sorry for any typos; I'm on my iPhone. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
nickb6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
That can't be right because it was working flawlessly when the lights showed blue on the adapter. The manual that came with it states that it will illuminate blue when on the 5ghz frequency, and there is a very noticable difference.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
G or N?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I did not think the TiVo Wireless N Adapter was 5GHz capable, But TiVo says it is?
http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/faqs/abo...ssn/index.html
Quote:
What are the key benefits with the TiVo Wireless N?
Faster speed, especially helpful for multi-room viewing (MRV) transfers
Less waiting for downloads of HD movies and TV shows onto your Premiere
Extended range: The adapter can operate in both 2.4 and 5 GHz, popular wireless network bands
What do the lights on my TiVo Wireless N Adapter mean?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1593

I wonder if it is also capable of Simultaneous Dual Band?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
ajayabb

Not sure if this helps, but this suggestion was from the Cisco Forum

Re: E2500 Constantly Dropping Connections
Options
09-28-2011 01:50 PM

The concern is that you are getting dropping connections…. Since you have configured the Router with the help of the Cisco Connect Software then you have to open that up in which you have installed… There you will be able to see 4 small window screens…
You have to click on “Router setting” window…
Then click on “Advanced settings” button… That will open the Router Setup page then click on Wireless Tab and make the following wireless channel-
For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you have to make the Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11...
For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you have to make the Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

Then check the connectivity…
Message 3 of 5 (726 Views)

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I did not think the TiVo Wireless N Adapter was 5GHz capable, But TiVo says it is?
http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/faqs/abo...ssn/index.html

What do the lights on my TiVo Wireless N Adapter mean?
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1593

I wonder if it is also capable of Simultaneous Dual Band?
I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 v1 with both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz radios turned on and my TiVo N adapters connects to the 5Ghz as that radio has a different SSID than the 2.4Ghz radio. I know this as I did a manual setup using a notebook computer to set up my N adapter as instructed.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
nickb6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 v1 with both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz radios turned on and my TiVo N adapters connects to the 5Ghz as that radio has a different SSID than the 2.4Ghz radio. I know this as I did a manual setup using a notebook computer to set up my N adapter as instructed.
Yeah, that seems to have been my issue. I thought that I had two separate SSID's, but apparently that wasn't the case. I changed the name of the 5ghz network, did the manual setup again and locked it to the 5ghz band. So far so good.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
unitron

Here's a thought. When setting up the SSID's, give them similar names, but include a 2 in one and a 5 in the other, or a 24 in one and a 50 in the other, so you know for sure which is which.

Maybe like homenet2 and homenet5 or sumpin'.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Here's a thought. When setting up the SSID's, give them similar names, but include a 2 in one and a 5 in the other, or a 24 in one and a 50 in the other, so you know for sure which is which.

Maybe like homenet2 and homenet5 or sumpin'.
Exactly what i did, the SSID name the same just ends with 2Ghz or 5Ghz

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
sharkster

Can I ask a stupid question? (if not, just disregard the rest)

I have the Tivo N adapters. Router - Cisco Valet Plus (M20). Modem - ATT 3360

It's always been on 2.4ghz but I believe that the router also handles 5.0

Is there an advantage to switching it to 5.0? I didn't realize it was related to any kind of strength thing and just thought it was a 'whichever gives you a clear signal' thing. Back when I first got a router I had 2.4ghz cordless phones and discovered that there was an interruption factor there so I since changed to the DECT 6.0 phones.

My wireless network is comprised of several computers (seldom do I have more than one in operation at any given time but sometimes I'm doing updates and maintenance on two or three at a time) and my two Tivo Premieres.

I have pretty fast DSL and no internet or wireless problems, BUT whenever I get a movie from Amazon it takes 2-3 times the length of the movie for it to load. I have no idea why this is, as I don't have slowness or connectivity problems. So I am now thinking maybe this could be the reason (?).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
ajayabb

Transfer speeds over 5 ghz is a bit faster than 2.4 ghz but the increase in throughput is limited by a shorter wireless distance as compared to 2.4 ghz. You may want to try the 5 ghz band on your router. You may be pleasantly suprised by improved data transfer speeds.

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
sharkster

Thank You, AJ! It probably wouldn't hurt to try. I have a moderately large house so I don't know if the distance w/b problematic. I notice that on my bdrm Tivo adapter, it almost always has all 3 bars but the living room one (which, really, isn't any further from the router) almost always has only 2 bars.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote