TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Embowe

Tivo transfer causing internet to not work.

I have been looking for an answer to this for a little bit now with no avail, maybe you guys (and gals) can help me out. I currently have a Tivo Premier (TCD746500) and am trying to transfer video from my PC to the Tivo over my home network (wireless). Problem is that about 5 min after the transfer starts my wireless internet stops working but the transfer to the tivo continues. The internet will not work again until I reset my modem and router. I can transfer from the tivo to my PC without any issues though, which is what is puzzling me.
Embowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embowe View Post
I have been looking for an answer to this for a little bit now with no avail, maybe you guys (and gals) can help me out. I currently have a Tivo Premier (TCD746500) and am trying to transfer video from my PC to the Tivo over my home network (wireless). Problem is that about 5 min after the transfer starts my wireless internet stops working but the transfer to the tivo continues. The internet will not work again until I reset my modem and router. I can transfer from the tivo to my PC without any issues though, which is what is puzzling me.
Don't know what the problem is, but try this.

Give your TiVo a fixed IP address outside of the range of addresses the router uses for DHCP.

Power down everything and then reboot, starting with the cable or DSL modem, then the router, then the computer, then the TiVo.

Can't hurt, might help.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Embowe

I'll give that a try...weird thing is...if I try to use pyTivo it does the same thing, also I have tethered my tivo and computer to my cellphone to use the internet there...and it does the same thing...drops the internet...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
unitron

If it doesn't travel, it doesn't need DHCP, and if you eliminate the negotiation between router and client over which address to use, you reduce the number of things that can go wrong.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
bshrock

What wireless router are you using? Have you modified any of the settings?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
worachj

Check and see if there's a firmware update for your router.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Embowe

I will check both...its an OLD router (wrt54g linksys off the top of my head) LOL
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I will check both...its an OLD router (wrt54g linksys off the top of my head) LOL
You might consider upgrading that old Linksys with DD-WRT. I didn't see where you mentioned what kind of wireless you have on the Premeire end of it. Also, are you trying to "push" the video from the PC to the Tivo or just initianing the transfer from the Tivo "My Movies" folder? I use several of those old blue Linksys G routers - all upgraded with DD-WRT. Got one in repeater/bridge mode on my Premiere. Works great.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Look on the bottom and tell us what the label says after it says WRT54G

Stuff like S or L, maybe, and there should be a v followed by a number or so.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Embowe

its a wireless v8 ...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
its a wireless v8 ...
8.0, 8.1, or 8.2?

I think if it just says v8, that's what gets called 8.0 when 8.1 comes out, otherwise known as retronyming, kinda like how it wasn't until when the Series 2 TiVos came out that we knew the previous ones were Series 1s.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Before you go to dd-wrt, check with Linksys/Cisco to see if they have any firmware updates for your particular model.

That'll give you practice at flashing your router and you can read up on the open source versions at your leisure.

But somehow, I don't think your router is to blame for your sudden onset of problems unless there's something about the way you have it configured that needs changing.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Embowe

I doubt its my router either, everything else in the house works fine.. 6 wireless connections to the router and 2 wired connections and all work without and issue..

Whats strange is that if I tether the tivo and the laptop I am transferring to/from to my internet from my cellphone...after about 5 min..it drops the internet on my cellphone as well, but the transfer still continues..

Its not THAT big of a deal to me...its just one of those things bugging me that I can't figure out...but really do apperciate the help you guys are throwing out there..
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
Embowe

A new day today...going to try again... going to hit the factory reset button on the router today and start from scratch...see if that makes a difference...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Embowe

Ok...reset my router...still the same problem... Tried tethering to my phone, It was just the tivo and my laptop...after about 5 min of pushing files to my tivo...same problem..connection dropped... Is this a problem with my tivo? Or do I have something setup wrong?

On another note... What would it take to just hook up a cat5 cable to my tivo and my laptop and just transfer stuff that way? WITHOUT it hooked up to the internet.... Would I need to run it through a router (one that wouldn't be hooked up to net, I guess it would just act as a switch?)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Ok...reset my router...still the same problem... Tried tethering to my phone, It was just the tivo and my laptop...after about 5 min of pushing files to my tivo...same problem..connection dropped... Is this a problem with my tivo? Or do I have something setup wrong?

On another note... What would it take to just hook up a cat5 cable to my tivo and my laptop and just transfer stuff that way? WITHOUT it hooked up to the internet.... Would I need to run it through a router (one that wouldn't be hooked up to net, I guess it would just act as a switch?)
If you have the laptop and TiVo connected via Ethernet cable to the same router, it would probably be a lot easier than trying to connect them directly by means of a crossover cable (something the router does internally).

If you can put the router, the TiVo, and the laptop all in close proximity to each other it should work fine regardless of whether the router's WAN port is connected to the internet via "whatever" or not, as long as the TiVo and the laptop are both connected to the LAN ports.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Embowe

Well thank you...now I have a new project tonight..LOL Time to dig in that old box of spare computer parts we all have somewhere in our house...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Embowe

The laptop, tivo and router are all next to each other, hooked up with ethernet cables and now I can't figure out the settings to get the laptop and the tivo to see each other...DAMN!

EDIT:

I can get the tivo to transfer files to the laptop through the router setup (would be like a wired bridge I assume) But can't get the tivo to see the laptop so that I can push files to it...going to give PyTivo a try with this setup and see what that does...

Last edited by Embowe : 10-06-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
Adramelech

Quote:
The laptop, tivo and router are all next to each other, hooked up with ethernet cables and now I can't figure out the settings to get the laptop and the tivo to see each other...DAMN!

EDIT:

I can get the tivo to transfer files to the laptop through the router setup (would be like a wired bridge I assume) But can't get the tivo to see the laptop so that I can push files to it...going to give PyTivo a try with this setup and see what that does...
Did you ever fix this? I have the SAME problem.

I have the SAME router you have. I had a Tivo Series 2 & a Tivo Premiere hooked up and it worked perfect. The transfer worked perfect.

Yesterday I got rid of the Tivo Series 2. I have a Tivo Premiere and just installed the Tivo Elite XL4 and am using the same router you are. Now I get the same problem you are getting.

When I start transferring my programs from one tivo box to the other my internet on my computer stops working but the transfer continues on my tivo.. but the internet connection also stops on my tivo.

If I unplug the modem and router and plug it back it, it's work for a while.. and then stops again.
Adramelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
ShayL

It's a stab in the dark, but have you tried turning off the firewall on the computer? It might be blocking the bonjour packets.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
unitron

I'm using a couple of Linksys BEFSR41 routers and a couple of WRT54G wireless routers (one running DD-WRT so I can use it in the other room as a wireless bridge) all on the same network

192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255

which sounds like an opportunity for a lot of problems, but I avoid almost all of them, because

I GIVE EVERYTHING A FIXED IP ADDRESS

and have about 5 addresses* in the total DHCP pool in case I need to log something onto the network temporarily or one day get something that'll also leave the house and log onto some other network occasionally as well.

That way there's no chance of anything going wrong when a device and a router negotiate what the device's IP address is going to be, or when the lease on that address runs out, because none of that happens in the first place, and something that doesn't happen cannot go wrong. Solve problems by eliminating varibles.

Currently I tell everything the gateway is the IP of the first router after the cable modem: 192.168.1.1

*192.168.1.250--192.168.1.254

Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
misterclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelech View Post
Did you ever fix this? I have the SAME problem.

I have the SAME router you have. I had a Tivo Series 2 & a Tivo Premiere hooked up and it worked perfect. The transfer worked perfect.

Yesterday I got rid of the Tivo Series 2. I have a Tivo Premiere and just installed the Tivo Elite XL4 and am using the same router you are. Now I get the same problem you are getting.

When I start transferring my programs from one tivo box to the other my internet on my computer stops working but the transfer continues on my tivo.. but the internet connection also stops on my tivo.

If I unplug the modem and router and plug it back it, it's work for a while.. and then stops again.
One thing that you or Embawe don't mention is if your Internet connection is DSL or Cable. I think we are assuming cable, but your problems sound like when you take a DSL Modem (which is also a full flegged Router) and put a router behind it. Both will try to assign DHCP numbers, and then you have double NAT. Once you power cycle them, they will work for a few minutes, and then they will stop communicating. If you were patient enough, they would start working on their own after a long while. I see this all the time, I work with computers, and I get calls from people that have gone and purchased a router(wireless) and just connect it to the DSL modem. If you want to do this, you have to turn OFF the Routing portion of the DSL modem/router. It is called BRIDGE mode. Make sure you have your username and password, because you have to put them in the settings of the router, to authenticate you with the DSL provider, since the Modem is not doing it anymore in Bridge mode.
This is TOTALLY different from having a Cable modem, since this modem does NOT have the built in functions of the router. In other words, just plug the router in and everything should work.
You can also go to the router settings, and look at the attached devices, and see what the range of IP numbers are. Unitron is right, there should be only ONE device giving DHCP assignments, and if possible assign numbers yourself (permanent) and avoid headaches. Click
misterclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclick View Post
One thing that you or Embawe don't mention is if your Internet connection is DSL or Cable. I think we are assuming cable, but your problems sound like when you take a DSL Modem (which is also a full flegged Router) and put a router behind it. Both will try to assign DHCP numbers, and then you have double NAT. Once you power cycle them, they will work for a few minutes, and then they will stop communicating. If you were patient enough, they would start working on their own after a long while. I see this all the time, I work with computers, and I get calls from people that have gone and purchased a router(wireless) and just connect it to the DSL modem. If you want to do this, you have to turn OFF the Routing portion of the DSL modem/router. It is called BRIDGE mode. Make sure you have your username and password, because you have to put them in the settings of the router, to authenticate you with the DSL provider, since the Modem is not doing it anymore in Bridge mode.
This is TOTALLY different from having a Cable modem, since this modem does NOT have the built in functions of the router. In other words, just plug the router in and everything should work.
You can also go to the router settings, and look at the attached devices, and see what the range of IP numbers are. Unitron is right, there should be only ONE device giving DHCP assignments, and if possible assign numbers yourself (permanent) and avoid headaches. Click

A cable modem will DHCP assign an IP address to the WAN port of a router and that will likely have no effect on the IP address the router presents to the stuff connected to its LAN ports.

For instance my cable modem can be seen on my LAN at 192.168.100.1, and I assume it sees my first router (to the WAN/Internet port of which it is connected) as 192.168.100.something greater than 1 which it has obtained from the cable modem because I've told the router to get an IP address on the WAN side via DHCP because that's what the cable modem wants to do, and since it's the only thing connected directly to the cable modem's downstream side, there's no risk of a conflict.

And the cable modem presents itself to its cable side as who knows what and no doubt gets that via DHCP from the cable company's server.

But if one is using something that eliminates the cable between the modem and the WAN port and incorporates that and the LAN ports in one box, whether it gets its internet from cable or DSL (I'm sure there must be some combo cable modem/router boxes out there somewhere), then you have to configure the LAN side of it, and if you hook a downstream router to it you have to configure that router as well and take both into consideration when you configure either.

If my cable modem had a router built in, then I'd set it to present itself to stuff connected to its LAN ports as probably 192.168.1.1, and then connect my various routers to the LAN ports as 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, etc. and set the DHCP pool on the modemrouter to 192.168.1.250--192.168.1.254

If it insisted on being 192.168.100.1, then I'd set the routers to 192.168.100.2, etc., since the Linksys's have that flexibility, and make the DHCP pool 192.168.100.250--192.168.100.254

And unitron is not capitalized.

It tickles.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
misterclick

I know it is not capitalized, but since I ended the sentence with a period, grammar dictates that any word after a period be capitalized, since it starts another sentence. Click
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #25
Adramelech

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterclick View Post
I'm using a Doc 3.0 Cable modem. So, none of the above is true for me. As I stated. I had no problems whatsoever running 2 Tivos & several computers wired & wireless for years. Once I added this XL4 it screwed everything up. My internet works perfect until I try to transfer a show from one Tivo to another Tivo. At that point it disconnects my Tivo from the internet, disconnects all the other devices from the internet, will begin to transfer a few shows, and then gets stuck on the same show for over an hour until I have to manually cancel the transfers. If I unplug the modem and router to reset it they will work again as long as I don't begin another transfer.

Why did my system work perfect with the Series 2 networked with the Premeire, and now when I got rid of the Series 2.. and use my Premiere with my Elite XL4 I have this problem?
Adramelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
unitron

Quote:
I'm using a Doc 3.0 Cable modem. So, none of the above is true for me. As I stated. I had no problems whatsoever running 2 Tivos & several computers wired & wireless for years. Once I added this XL4 it screwed everything up. My internet works perfect until I try to transfer a show from one Tivo to another Tivo. At that point it disconnects my Tivo from the internet, disconnects all the other devices from the internet, will begin to transfer a few shows, and then gets stuck on the same show for over an hour until I have to manually cancel the transfers. If I unplug the modem and router to reset it they will work again as long as I don't begin another transfer.

Why did my system work perfect with the Series 2 networked with the Premeire, and now when I got rid of the Series 2.. and use my Premiere with my Elite XL4 I have this problem?
Give everything a fixed IP address and set up a small fan to blow directly on that WRT54G.

If that doesn't fix it you can always go back to DHCP if you feel you must.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
misterclick

Quote:
...Why did my system work perfect with the Series 2 networked with the Premeire, and now when I got rid of the Series 2.. and use my Premiere with my Elite XL4 I have this problem?
Series 2 is very jealous... Put a jinx on your network...