TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Captain 80s

Random reboots on 6.4a

Definitely getting more random reboots on 6.4a than I did on 6.2a (which were virtually zero). No freezing or stuttering issues, just random reboots. I have 4 units that used to be running 6.2a, the 3 "upgraded" to 6.4a exhibit this new behavior. It's not excessive, but it is a noticeable change. It's not the drives, let's get that out of the way right now. 1 has a new drive and 2 others have the same as the drives that had 6.2a, all check out good with SpinRite.

Unit kept at 6.2a is rock solid. It will play a music channel for days on end without an issue. (Maybe it's rebooting always at night?... I listen to music way too often to never catch it.) 6.4a unit did it to me yesterday and again on Friday.

Nothing scientific here, but I've lived with these 4 units for a while now and I'm very familiar with how they act and perform.

Just wanted to post my experiences so perhaps other people won't think they're crazy (crazier?).

And I do know it's time to upgrade hardware. But these units (used to... and mostly still do) work so great for certain applications, like bedroom and garage CRTs. If it weren't for the local channels and guide data thing...

Mike.
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
gsjenkins

Running 6.4a on a Philips DSR7000. Multiple reboots yesterday during the Texans' football game. It was raining fairly hard and steadily all afternoon. As the system badly pixilated, it would lock up and reboot. This happened multiple times. When the storms moved out, the unit stopped rebooting. I have an old Philips DSR7000 still running 6.2 that I use as a media server. It works perfectly in this capacity. I also use it to transfer movies to DVD. No hesitations, skipping, pausing. Just clean transfers. It isn't hooked up to the satellite, but I could do so for testing purposes. This machine is also very fast at switching between any functions that don't need the satellite. I wish 6.4a were as fast and stable. It is interesting that my Samsung SIR-S4080R running 6.4a doesn't seem to have any of these problems. It is watched much less, but runs all the time and never seems to have rebooted except its weekly scheduled reboot.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote