Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #61
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara View Post
Ha, clearly I'm totally out of the loop.... just looked and the new judges have been decided already.

http://www.huliq.com/12092/done-deal...an-idol-judges
Looks like they're just reporting the "as good as done" news... still not official, not yet. They're also echoing The Hollywood Reporter, and THR has gotten REALLY bad in the last few years, and run a ton of stories that were later completely debunked.

I haven't seen it hit Deadline or TVLine... once it does, I'll give it more credence. That said, it wouldn't surprise me, as those are the rumors that have been pretty consistent for at least a few weeks now.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #62
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've always thought Nikki Menaj (whatever) was a bit of a weirdo, but I'll reserve judgement until I see what her personalities are like.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #63
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I think I'm done with Idol..
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #64
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

There's one problem with a four-person judging panel; if it's a 2-2 split, does the singer go to Hollywood or not? In previous years, the rule was, "Tie goes to Simon," although they never made this explicit on the air; I think the closest they came was with one contestant where Simon said yes, two others said no, and the fourth judge was told, "It's up to you."

My guess: they will have Nigel Lythgoe present as an unseen fifth judge to break 2-2 ties, but just not show the entire vote of anybody who was involved in a "tiebreaker."
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #65
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
There's one problem with a four-person judging panel; if it's a 2-2 split, does the singer go to Hollywood or not? In previous years, the rule was, "Tie goes to Simon," although they never made this explicit on the air; I think the closest they came was with one contestant where Simon said yes, two others said no, and the fourth judge was told, "It's up to you."

My guess: they will have Nigel Lythgoe present as an unseen fifth judge to break 2-2 ties, but just not show the entire vote of anybody who was involved in a "tiebreaker."
I hope Nicki's vote counts double. I'm sure that would go over well with Mariah.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #66
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
But with rare exceptions, nobody's really a "former" singer until they die. Is Steven Tyler anything more than a nostalgia act himself?

EDIT: or what tivoboyjr said.
You only need two judges. There are plenty of rare exceptions.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #67
Mikeyis4dcats

if Nicki Minaj is a judge, I won't be watching.

someone with no appreciable talent should not be judging others.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #68
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
NO CURRENT SINGERS/PERFORMERS!!!

This is what ruined this last season. And I'm a fan of ST, and I like JLo ok. But the problem is that they are afraid to tell anyone the cold hard truth because they don't want to hurt their own fan base. And then they always want to get up and perform. I hate that.

Paula was always too nice to the contestants but she had Simon there to counter her remarks. That's what made it entertaining. Last season was so sugar coated that it was hardly worth watching.
I never thought Tyler was afraid to share his opinion. Sure, he wasn't mean about it, but he didn't coddle them either. JLO wouldn't say anything bad about anyone.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #69
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
But with rare exceptions, nobody's really a "former" singer until they die. Is Steven Tyler anything more than a nostalgia act himself?

EDIT: or what tivoboyjr said.
certainly. in fact Aerosmith has a new album coming out in November.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
someone with no appreciable talent should not be judging others.
You must be unfamiliar with American Idol. It's been that way from day one.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #71
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
You must be unfamiliar with American Idol. It's been that way from day one.
You must be young. Aerosmith was HUGE back in the day. I had every one of their 8 Tracks.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #72
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
You must be young. Aerosmith was HUGE back in the day. I had every one of their 8 Tracks.
I wasn't commenting on Aerosmith or Tyler - just making a little joke about the judges on Idol.

I'm not that young. I was a little kid back when Aerosmith was in their heyday (or what I consider to be their heyday - the 70's) and I loved them.

Aerosmith and the Stones are two of my favorite bands, but to me for the last few decades they've just been cover bands of what they used to be. The more recent albums, Aerosmith's especially (IMO, of course) just aren't any good. They put out new albums to make some money, to keep their names out there and to keep touring, not because they have anything to contribute musically. These guys were once brilliant musicians and now they're mostly brilliant business people. Which brings us back to Tyler being a judge on Idol.

PS - I was in Maui last week with some friends. My friends went off separately to go snorkeling and said they saw Tyler. He apparently has a house on Maui and spends a lot of time there. They said he was getting out of the water when they saw him and he looked pretty scary. They said he was rude and seemed to be very concerned that they were going to take photos of him (looking wet and scary), which they weren't. I would have loved to have been there and met him and talked about Aerosmith in the old days, but based on the way he reacted to my friends, he probably would have told me to get lost.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #73
Alfer
WOOSAH!

So Randy Jackson is now gone as well.

Lots of big shoes to fill now at AI.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #74
lambertman
Not single!

Link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1148762

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #75
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
I never thought Tyler was afraid to share his opinion. Sure, he wasn't mean about it, but he didn't coddle them either. JLO wouldn't say anything bad about anyone.
But Tyler was just a poor judge. He has that whole hippie flower child mentality going on in his head, where he likes stuff that actually sucks. But for some weird reason it connects with some sort of ancient memory or an amalgamation of several ancient memories, and he thinks it's cool.

And I say this with a lengthy history of being an Aerosmith fan, Steven Tyler and all. I just don't like him as a judge on American Idol.

Although, there were several that I did agree with his opinion on.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #76
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
But Tyler was just a poor judge. He has that whole hippie flower child mentality going on in his head, where he likes stuff that actually sucks. But for some weird reason it connects with some sort of ancient memory or an amalgamation of several ancient memories, and he thinks it's cool.

And I say this with a lengthy history of being an Aerosmith fan, Steven Tyler and all. I just don't like him as a judge on American Idol.

That was beautiful.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #77
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:

I'm also a big Aerosmith fan, and I liked him as judge. Not because of who he was, but because he was not stuffy, had fun, and gave legitimate feedback.

I don't always agree with the judges' views, but I respect their experience. I can't say that about Minaj.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #78
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked Tyler as a Judge too. He's got a great personality. At this point in the history of the show, I care less about their opinions of the singers and more about how they express it.