TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
synch22

Can someone tell me why

sometimes if I am watching a show and decide to record, if I was on that channel prior to the show it will include the previous show due to the buffer and a 30 min show will record 45 mins or so depending on how long I was on the previous program.

My question is why does this happen only sometimes and other times it does not? I have sometimes decided to hit record and the tivo erases the buffer and records the show, and I may have wanted to include the previous show (buffered) portion.

There seems to be no real rule.... anyone have this issue?

Using my series 3.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I believe it has to do with the current position you are in, in the buffer.

If you are rewound to the beginning of the buffer on the prior show, that portion will be recorded also.

If you are already into the current show and at the front of the buffer (LiveTV), then the prior shows buffer will not be recorded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
synch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I believe it has to do with the current position you are in, in the buffer.

If you are rewound to the beginning of the buffer on the prior show, that portion will be recorded also.

If you are already into the current show and at the front of the buffer (LiveTV), then the prior shows buffer will not be recorded.
this is making a little sense to me I will see if thats the behavior pattern thanks. Happend again tonight I was watching the previous show on buffer then it was gone due to starting to record on the same channel.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

From what I understand, Live TV is recorded in memory blocks longer than 30 minutes (so TiVo has a 'buffer' so to speak) and sometimes the start of a recording block does not fall on the hour (or half hour).

This results in the extra material at the beginning of the recording when you select to record a show already in progress.
The amount of extra material depends on the video being recorded. With HD material, you may only get 10 minutes of the previous program, while with SD material, you may get the entire previous show.

This should not be a problem. When you go to the recording in the NPL, the Tivo starts you at the beginning of the show you intended to record.
I look at this not as a bug, but a feature.
Say you are 40 minutes into a 1 hour show and you decide to record it. You have a chance to catch the whole thing, not just what is in the buffer.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-02-2012 at 07:08 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
anakha000

Thumbs down Did This Go Away?

I used to experience the same behavior, and I considered it a feature. In the past month or two though it has changed for me. Now, no matter where I am in the buffer the Tivo only records the current (relative to the TIME now, not the BUFFER) show. I think I might start a new thread to see if other people have the same experience. Any of you have this behavior change recently?
anakha000 is offline   Reply With Quote