TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
occraig

Can I remove my Hard Drive and put it in another unit?

I keep going back and forth from state to state. I was wondering if I could put 2 tivo boxes and leave them in the 2 states and just remove the hard drive and just travel with that? I am getting tired of the TSA stuff now
occraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by occraig View Post
I keep going back and forth from state to state. I was wondering if I could put 2 tivo boxes and leave them in the 2 states and just remove the hard drive and just travel with that? I am getting tired of the TSA stuff now
No.

Each TiVo has its own unique TiVo Service Number, and it "encodes" the recordings, and its entire hard with that number.

If you transfer the hard drive from one machine to the other, even if both are the same model number, you'll have to do a clear and delete everything (which includes all recordings) to get the drive to work in the new TiVo, at which point it won't work in the old one unless you go through C&DE again.

For recordings which your cable company hasn't flagged "no-copy", you might be able to copy them to computer via TiVo Desktop and send them over the internet via some sort of VPN, but that's beyond my current expertise.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
For recordings which your cable company hasn't flagged "no-copy", you might be able to copy them to computer via TiVo Desktop and send them over the internet via some sort of VPN, but that's beyond my current expertise.
Actually, using pyTivo, you can "Push" to a remote TiVo, no need for a VPN.

If the OP has a PC at both ends, a better solution would be to use some sort of PC connected removable storage that you can transport between the two locations.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
occraig

what if the Tivo is a premier and already has an upgrade hard drive I bought on ebay? could I do it then?
occraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by occraig View Post
what if the Tivo is a premier and already has an upgrade hard drive I bought on ebay? could I do it then?
I refer you to my previous answer about how the recordings are tied to the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo on which they were made.

And to the part about the hard drive itself being tied to that same number.

If you move a drive, any drive, from one TiVo to another one, it has to be the same model number TiVo, and even then it will have to go through a Clear & Delete Everything so as to get "married" to the new TiVo in which it finds itself, which means it'll be the same as a new TiVo, having to go through Guided Setup before you can do anything else, because in addition to all of the recorded shows being gone, all the info about zip code and cable provider and local over the air channels and cable card pairing and Season Passes and Thumb ratings and networking and any options you changed from the default, all of that will be gone.

If you have two TiVos on the same account, both will have the same Media Access Key, and you can set up the free version of TiVo Desktop on a computer and copy shows to the computer if the cable company hasn't set the anti-copy bit for that channel.

Once on the computer, they can be put on a removeable drive and carried to your second location where another TiVo with TiVo Desktop installed can "serve" those shows to the second TiVo.

Above all, do not even think about moving an external drive from one TiVo to another unless you want to lose all of your recordings.

The simplest solution to your problem is not the least expensive.

You'll need a computer running XP or later in each location.

You'll need a TiVo in each location.

You can, instead of using an external enclosure with each computer that attaches via USB or eSATA, if the computer has a spare 5.25 bay, get a mobile drive rack that lets you pop a SATA drive in and out.

Also, better not to be taking your TiVos apart all the time.

And you'll need a current subscription on each TiVo.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

You don't say what it is that you want to be portable on the Tivo specifically. If it is the recordings, then the suggestion about downloading them to a USB PC hard drive is probably the best bet. The Season Passes can be copied from one Tivo to another online at Tivo.com.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
lpwcomp

If the TiVos are on different accounts, you will need to run tivodecode on them to convert them to regular mpeg2 format prior to or as you are putting them on the transportable device.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
CrystalD

Can I move a drive from an identical unit to a unit that I did a Kickstart 57 on?

I did a kickstart 57 on a TIVO 3 HD with an S03 error. Now it gets the GSOD. I understand that that S03 could have been caused by a bad hard drive.
I have an identical working refurbished unit from TIVO. Now that it has the GSOD can I take the drive from the working unit and put it in the unit that does work. This is assuming it is a hard drive problem, I understand I could have done that prior to doing the kickstart 57, just wondering if it will work now.

The non-functioning unit has Lifetime Service so I would like to save the old unit.
CrystalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

I would copy the drive from the working unit to a new drive and put that in. Or, backup that other drive, just in case, before putting in the lifetime box.

If you have a power supply problem that has caused a hard drive to have issues, you don't want to repeat the scenario on your only good drive.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalD View Post
I did a kickstart 57 on a TIVO 3 HD with an S03 error. Now it gets the GSOD. I understand that that S03 could have been caused by a bad hard drive.
I have an identical working refurbished unit from TIVO. Now that it has the GSOD can I take the drive from the working unit and put it in the unit that does work. This is assuming it is a hard drive problem, I understand I could have done that prior to doing the kickstart 57, just wondering if it will work now.

The non-functioning unit has Lifetime Service so I would like to save the old unit.
Are you talking about TCD652160s or TCD648250s?

Either way, do you have any spare (even temporarily) hard drives lying around at least 160GB or 250GB in size?