TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #31
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
His "craft" had a total workforce of one; he was unique. Not the most important or significant role a human could aspire to, but it was something nobody had ever done before or ever will.

Steve Allen was more creative, as was Letterman later on; Paar was far more interesting. But "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" was an incredibly entertaining one-time phenomenon.
Yup, I agree completely. The irony, and Letterman touched on it in the piece, was that it was silly to think that the next person to get handed the torch to The Tonight Show, would be the next Johnny Carson. There was only one Carson, and often people didn't even refer to it as "The Tonight Show" at all. They would simply say things like, "Did you see that guy on The Johnny Carson Show last night?" He was the show. Not the name. Not the format, as others tried to duplicate. It was him, his show.

Letterman not getting "The Tonight Show" didn't really matter after all.
Because Jay Was never, and will never be Johnny.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Yup, I agree completely. The irony, and Letterman touched on it in the piece, was that it was silly to think that the next person to get handed the torch to The Tonight Show, would be the next Johnny Carson. There was only one Carson, and often people didn't even refer to it as "The Tonight Show" at all. They would simply say things like, "Did you see that guy on The Johnny Carson Show last night?" He was the show. Not the name. Not the format, as others tried to duplicate. It was him, his show.

Letterman not getting "The Tonight Show" didn't really matter after all.
Because Jay Was never, and will never be Johnny.
Agreed, but Johnny wasn't Jack Parr and Parr wasn't Steve Allen. They all work within the format, but they all have (and should have) their own personalities. Some work, some don't.

Haven't seen this yet. I'll probably get to it once the summer season is in high gear and have less to watch.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
Hank
AC•FTW

I'm assuming most everyone here has already seen "The Late Shift".. if you haven't it's a must see.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116835/
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'm assuming most everyone here has already seen "The Late Shift".. if you haven't it's a must see.

Nope, but I will eventually.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #35
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Writer Mark Evanier, a Carson fan who knows a thing or two about comedy, has a few thoughts about this show.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #36
brianric

One thing that surprised me was the failure of PBS to mention was the run on toilet paper nationwide when Carson cracked a joke on a shortage that the Government had on obtaining single ply toilet paper.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
DeDondeEs

I have taken a couple personality tests, twice it told me that the celebrity my personality most resembled is Johnny Carson. After seeing shows about his personality, I agree with those tests. I have no problem presenting or talking in public, but I am not the biggest fan of socializing.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #38
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I have taken a couple personality tests, twice it told me that the celebrity my personality most resembled is Johnny Carson. After seeing shows about his personality, I agree with those tests. I have no problem presenting or talking in public, but I am not the biggest fan of socializing.
I sure hope you don't smoke.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

The book's far better.. and I have, but haven't yet read, essentially the sequel... about the Conan/Leno thing.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #40
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, I do want to watch that sometime.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #41
Scooter
Mattress Tester

I learned a lot of things I didn't know about Carson. Very interesting.

Btw, his mother was a bitch.

R.I.P. Jonny Carson
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
One thing that surprised me was the failure of PBS to mention was the run on toilet paper nationwide when Carson cracked a joke on a shortage that the Government had on obtaining single ply toilet paper.
I was surprised that wasn't there either. I remember thinking that it would most assuredly be mentioned. It's something that I recall to this day and, in fact, was telling somebody about just recently. Besides being a funny bit that had unexpected consequences, It was a great study in the dumbassedness of humanity in general, IMO.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I learned a lot of things I didn't know about Carson. Very interesting.

Btw, his mother was a bitch.

R.I.P. Jonny Carson
I know! Wasn't she just awful? I wanted to slap her every time I saw her smug face. She didn't like boys and she made it crystal clear, all along the way, that the daughter was the one she cherished to the absolute exclusion of the boys.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe Carson's mother had a bad mother too. Then we can blame all her moral failings on her mother.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Maybe Carson's mother had a bad mother too. Then we can blame all her moral failings on her mother.
I blame Eve. The bitch.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #46
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just finished watching. Outstanding. I wanted more and wanted to stay with it.

We didn't get much information on Johnny's personal life in real time. I felt for him.

In fact, what I personally asked Johnny was whether he had heard from The Enquirer when he challenged them to sue him for calling them liars -*in a story about hiss marriage to Joanna being on the rocks. He said, "Obliquely. I think they're going to sue."

Now I realize that as Bill Maher said, he was ruthless. If you blew an appearance you'd never be seen again. I remember when Bert Convey made the huge mistake of eating an Eskimo Pie during a break. Johnny was furious with him...and he was never seen again.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #47
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I blame Eve. The bitch.
I blame the apple. Who blames the snake.

Can't we all just get along?

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #48
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
I don't think anybody is blaming all his failings on his mother. But fact number one is that his mother was an awful mother. I am pretty sure that did account for SOME of his subsequent behavior.

I don't think people who didn't have an awful mother understand that whatever preceeded her to make her that way is not really an issue to a child who is being abused in one way or another. You are just trying to survive and all you know is that SHE is a bitch and you don't really care why until you can look back through many years of maturity to analyze that.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #49
pendragn

I really liked this. It was very interesting and I loved being able to see all the old clips. I wish I were older so I could have watched more of Carson before he went off the air.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #50
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
. I remember when Bert Convey made the huge mistake of eating an Eskimo Pie during a break. Johnny was furious with him...and he was never seen again.
wtf ?
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #51
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
wtf ?
We was murdered.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #52
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
I really liked this. It was very interesting and I loved being able to see all the old clips. I wish I were older so I could have watched more of Carson before he went off the air.

tk
Carson was an icon and an institution. Kids used to beg to stay up to see "at least the monologue". We'd sneak down to listen from the stairs and try to laugh quietly (I don't think we ever succeeded at that). I remember what a big deal it was that Tiny Tim was going to get married on the Tonight Show, and my folks hated Tiny Tim, but we got to stay up to watch it because it was an "event" (the likes of which we can't imagine in todays 24-hour news cycle, with hundreds of channels).

As the years went on and his guest hosts became more frequent, The Tonight Show lost some of it's cachet. People would watch when Carson was on, but turn it off if a guest host was on. But Johnny was so big that they kept giving him more and more weeks off, because that's what it took to keep him.

Dave puts on a show. Leno cracks wise. But Johnny - he made you feel like him and some friends were just sitting around chatting in your living room and you were part of it. Nobody else, before or since, really gets that "invited into your home" part as well as Johnny did.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #53
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Finally got around to it today. I agree it was not one-sided at all. And that's what made it so interesting.

As far as his Mom goes, he obviously was a product of her upbringing. From his distance with his sons to his extra-martial affairs. And yes, she might have been a bitch but her mother was probably one too.

It's amazing the power and influence he had among comedians. Although I feel his decision of whether they were worthy of the chair was a bit abuse of power.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #54
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I saw this too. Thought it was good. Lots of praise for him for his contributions to television and the late night talk show genre. And rightly so. But they didn't really sugar coat some of the personal issues he had.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #55
Hank
AC•FTW

His administrative assistant "Legs" sure was damn cute! (back then, anyway)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #56
astrohip
Stuart F

Bump

Oct 1, 1962, fifty years ago Monday, was the premiere of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

As an aside, I finally watched this last week (which is the only reason I know about the 50 anniv). Very well made documentary. I only watched it because there was nothing else to watch, waiting for the new fall season to start. And I'm glad I did, as it was more than worth the time. I'd forgotten how many "culturally historic" moments came from that show.

I didn't realize emphysema from smoking was what ended up killing him.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #57
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

You had Ed McMahon say that Johnny was a mean drunk who would pick a fight with everyone in the place until Ed dragged him away.. Then when Johnny was interviewed on 60 Minutes HE said he was a mean drunk, "Ask Ed."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote