TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

The Mindy Project - Pilot - 09/26/2012

I liked it. It seemed quirky without being overly quirky.

During her toast to Tom it cracked me up when she asked "By the way, are we sure she's not a war criminal?"

Some of the lines made me laugh:

"My body mass index is not great. But I'm not like Precious or anything, you know?"

"When I was a kid, all I did was watch romantic comedies in our living room while I did my homework. In college, everything changed. I could watch romantic comedies whenever I wanted to."

"Met in an elevator? My hair came undone? Are you kidding me? I'm basically Sandra Bullock!"
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
TonyD79

Didn't feel it at all. Timing very off.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really like her, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure I like her character.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
So far that is my problem. No way that scatter brain made a medical degree. Absolutely no focus.

She is the annoying but unfunny girl who sits behind you at a ballgame and has a conversation that has nothing to do with where she is
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Well, I had to jump through hoops to watch it online, but so far, I like it. I laughed. I'll see where it goes from here.

I just have to find an open tuner to record it.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

I think that the two of you aren't able to get her previous character out of your mind.

Mindy was no where near as scatterbrained as Kelly.

I think she did a good job with the new character and I liked the show.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's not that I found her scatterbrained - I'm just not sure I liked the person or not.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
BradJW

I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I will definitely tune in at least a few more times though. I think it has a good chance to grow on me.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I will definitely tune in at least a few more times though. I think it has a good chance to grow on me.
That's pretty much me as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Me three. Just didn't do a thing for me. It's not so much the "it's the pilot for a sitcom so give it a couple eps to get its groove down", as much as it was just not remotely close to anything I would enjoy. Nothing felt right about it.

BTW, I've never watched the Office, so I have no preconceptions as far as her character.

SP deleted.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I think that the two of you aren't able to get her previous character out of your mind.

Mindy was no where near as scatterbrained as Kelly.

I think she did a good job with the new character and I liked the show.
She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.

Kelly was not scatterbrained. She was Kelly centric. Didn't care about anything that didn't interest or benefit her.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.
LOL at the idea that you have an idea of what is "core" to a character from the pilot of a sitcom.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
DavidJL

I really liked it and was surprised I did. I was expecting not to like it. I don't really care for her character on The Office, though she occasionally gets a laugh out of me. But this, I laughed a lot more on this than Partners or The New Normal. I haven't seen Ben and Kate yet. So far I'd put this as my 3rd favorite comedy right behind Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. It's only one episode, but for a pilot I thought it was great.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post

LOL at the idea that you have an idea of what is "core" to a character from the pilot of a sitcom.
Uh. Pilots are about setting up the story. The story here is a weak willed focusless woman who decides she wants to change her life. That is exactly the story.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Uh. Pilots are about setting up the story. The story here is a weak willed focusless woman who decides she wants to change her life. That is exactly the story.
Uh, pilots are about trying to get a TV series sold to a network. Writing staffs usually have to take some time to find the "voice" of the characters. Many of the great comedies on today are markedly different now than they were in their pilots. Take, for instance, Parks & Rec, which is probably the finest comedy on TV. Its pilot wasn't very good, because they hadn't quite figured out the characters. In fact, the lead, Leslie Knope, is a far different character now than what she was in the pilot. Same with plenty of other sitcom pilots.

So for you to proclaim like the Grand Poobah that you know exactly what the core of the Mindy character is makes me laugh. Because Mindy Kaling herself probably isn't sure exactly what the core of the character is, and even if she is, that core is malleable because her character is a work of fiction. If she and the rest of the writers decide that the character isn't quite right, they will change her.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Uh, pilots are about trying to get a TV series sold to a network. Writing staffs usually have to take some time to find the "voice" of the characters. Many of the great comedies on today are markedly different now than they were in their pilots. Take, for instance, Parks & Rec, which is probably the finest comedy on TV. Its pilot wasn't very good, because they hadn't quite figured out the characters. In fact, the lead, Leslie Knope, is a far different character now than what she was in the pilot. Same with plenty of other sitcom pilots.

So for you to proclaim like the Grand Poobah that you know exactly what the core of the Mindy character is makes me laugh. Because Mindy Kaling herself probably isn't sure exactly what the core of the character is, and even if she is, that core is malleable because her character is a work of fiction. If she and the rest of the writers decide that the character isn't quite right, they will change her.
Parks and Rec is a very unique example.

The story here IS about who she is. That is what the series is about. Just like Star Trek was about people adventuring out in space. The series is about who she is. That is the premise.

If they change it, then it is not the show I watched. The core of the character is the core of the show.

But you have decided that it may change completely. If it does, it is not the show we all watched. She may not change at all. Why should we ASSUME that she is going to be completely different.

My friend bought a blue car. If he comes to pick me up, I am going to look for a blue car. He could paint it before he shows up and make it red. Why should I look for anything but a blue car. That is the same as what you are telling me. I don't like the show as it is constucted, sold, wrote about in the media and previewed but I should assume that the character is not at all what everyone talked about, what they showed.

What you are talking about is retooling a show. Right now, her core is that she lacks focus. Because they can change it doesn't mean it is not true now.

From your argument, I would say that you never know the core of ANY character because they can write them completely different in the next show.

A very weak position to take.

Oh, and the pilot you are talking about oftend oesn't make it on the air. They chose to air it to win viewers. Then they intend it to be exactly what it is.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Sparty99

For lack of a better way of putting this, I was charmed either by the show (not likely) or by Mindy Kaling (new crush). I think it's obvious that we're going to see some sort of Jack & Sawyer who will she pick between the British guy and the jerk who deciphered When Harry Met Sally. But I was mesmerized by Mindy Kaling (I've never watched The Office). It does seem like her personality could get a bit obnoxious if they don't develop her more, but for now I'm in on this show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I liked it. I will watch another one.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Don't know quite what I was expecting but the vibe of the show was a little too "Sex in the City" for us. We were expecting sharper writing and it was just ok. I might check it out if the threads here think it gets better but judging from the pilot it's not for us.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, as did my husband, so we'll keep the season pass. So far, it's my favorite of the new sitcoms.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
I agree.

I'll give it one more chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I really wanted to love it, but I'm with the folks stating "something feels off" because it did, there was something missing in the connection to her character and the audience, it felt like a character, as opposed to Jess on New Girl where they have never had the issue.

I'm in for the longer haul, it's a great concept with great folks involved, it just needs to gel.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

I agree.

I'll give it one more chance.
Oh. I give most comedy pilots a second chance. I will this one.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Andrew_S

Quote:
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

Seriously, the credibility of a doctor on a SITCOM is a discussion point?
Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

That was the first show I thought of when I saw the lack of realism from a doctor.

Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and The Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

FYP.

/sarcasmfive
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:

Did you watch that show? They were serious about being doctors. JD's inner monologue was as often about being a good doctor.

Not seeing it with Mindy.

And yes, you need some credibility or the show is just nonsense.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
I did see TonyD79's response too..

Turk was the most serious at the doctor part, it seemed to me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
tiams

I thought they showed that when she is working as a doctor she IS serious and focused. That was the point of the scene of her changing into her work underwear, scrubbing all the make-up off her face, and putting on her glasses. She is a woman who outside of her career wants to make some changes to her life. She just doesn't have it all together in her personal life but she is very tremendously self-aware.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Andrew_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I thought they showed that when she is working as a doctor she IS serious and focused. That was the point of the scene of her changing into her work underwear, scrubbing all the make-up off her face, and putting on her glasses. She is a woman who outside of her career wants to make some changes to her life. She just doesn't have it all together in her personal life but she is very tremendously self-aware.
That's what I got out of it too. Not sure where the "focusless" debate comes from. How would Dr. Frazier Crane fit into this whole discussion? Like or dislike the show, but the "a doctor wouldn't act that way" isn't much of an argument when it comes to sitcoms.
Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote