TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,618
The Mindy Project - Pilot - 09/26/2012

I liked it. It seemed quirky without being overly quirky.

During her toast to Tom it cracked me up when she asked "By the way, are we sure she's not a war criminal?"

Some of the lines made me laugh:

"My body mass index is not great. But I'm not like Precious or anything, you know?"

"When I was a kid, all I did was watch romantic comedies in our living room while I did my homework. In college, everything changed. I could watch romantic comedies whenever I wanted to."

"Met in an elevator? My hair came undone? Are you kidding me? I'm basically Sandra Bullock!"
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Didn't feel it at all. Timing very off.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 46,968
TC CLUB MEMBER
I really like her, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure I like her character.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I really like her, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure I like her character.
So far that is my problem. No way that scatter brain made a medical degree. Absolutely no focus.

She is the annoying but unfunny girl who sits behind you at a ballgame and has a conversation that has nothing to do with where she is
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,267
Well, I had to jump through hoops to watch it online, but so far, I like it. I laughed. I'll see where it goes from here.

I just have to find an open tuner to record it.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,273
I think that the two of you aren't able to get her previous character out of your mind.

Mindy was no where near as scatterbrained as Kelly.

I think she did a good job with the new character and I liked the show.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 46,968
TC CLUB MEMBER
It's not that I found her scatterbrained - I'm just not sure I liked the person or not.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
BradJW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,721
I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I will definitely tune in at least a few more times though. I think it has a good chance to grow on me.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?
 
DreadPirateRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I will definitely tune in at least a few more times though. I think it has a good chance to grow on me.
That's pretty much me as well.
__________________
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just, literally, 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Didn't feel it at all. Timing very off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I really like her, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure I like her character.
Me three. Just didn't do a thing for me. It's not so much the "it's the pilot for a sitcom so give it a couple eps to get its groove down", as much as it was just not remotely close to anything I would enjoy. Nothing felt right about it.

BTW, I've never watched the Office, so I have no preconceptions as far as her character.

SP deleted.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I think that the two of you aren't able to get her previous character out of your mind.

Mindy was no where near as scatterbrained as Kelly.

I think she did a good job with the new character and I liked the show.
She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.

Kelly was not scatterbrained. She was Kelly centric. Didn't care about anything that didn't interest or benefit her.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?
 
DreadPirateRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.
LOL at the idea that you have an idea of what is "core" to a character from the pilot of a sitcom.
__________________
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just, literally, 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
DavidJL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 218
I really liked it and was surprised I did. I was expecting not to like it. I don't really care for her character on The Office, though she occasionally gets a laugh out of me. But this, I laughed a lot more on this than Partners or The New Normal. I haven't seen Ben and Kate yet. So far I'd put this as my 3rd favorite comedy right behind Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. It's only one episode, but for a pilot I thought it was great.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post

LOL at the idea that you have an idea of what is "core" to a character from the pilot of a sitcom.
Uh. Pilots are about setting up the story. The story here is a weak willed focusless woman who decides she wants to change her life. That is exactly the story.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?
 
DreadPirateRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Uh. Pilots are about setting up the story. The story here is a weak willed focusless woman who decides she wants to change her life. That is exactly the story.
Uh, pilots are about trying to get a TV series sold to a network. Writing staffs usually have to take some time to find the "voice" of the characters. Many of the great comedies on today are markedly different now than they were in their pilots. Take, for instance, Parks & Rec, which is probably the finest comedy on TV. Its pilot wasn't very good, because they hadn't quite figured out the characters. In fact, the lead, Leslie Knope, is a far different character now than what she was in the pilot. Same with plenty of other sitcom pilots.

So for you to proclaim like the Grand Poobah that you know exactly what the core of the Mindy character is makes me laugh. Because Mindy Kaling herself probably isn't sure exactly what the core of the character is, and even if she is, that core is malleable because her character is a work of fiction. If she and the rest of the writers decide that the character isn't quite right, they will change her.
__________________
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just, literally, 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Uh, pilots are about trying to get a TV series sold to a network. Writing staffs usually have to take some time to find the "voice" of the characters. Many of the great comedies on today are markedly different now than they were in their pilots. Take, for instance, Parks & Rec, which is probably the finest comedy on TV. Its pilot wasn't very good, because they hadn't quite figured out the characters. In fact, the lead, Leslie Knope, is a far different character now than what she was in the pilot. Same with plenty of other sitcom pilots.

So for you to proclaim like the Grand Poobah that you know exactly what the core of the Mindy character is makes me laugh. Because Mindy Kaling herself probably isn't sure exactly what the core of the character is, and even if she is, that core is malleable because her character is a work of fiction. If she and the rest of the writers decide that the character isn't quite right, they will change her.
Parks and Rec is a very unique example.

The story here IS about who she is. That is what the series is about. Just like Star Trek was about people adventuring out in space. The series is about who she is. That is the premise.

If they change it, then it is not the show I watched. The core of the character is the core of the show.

But you have decided that it may change completely. If it does, it is not the show we all watched. She may not change at all. Why should we ASSUME that she is going to be completely different.

My friend bought a blue car. If he comes to pick me up, I am going to look for a blue car. He could paint it before he shows up and make it red. Why should I look for anything but a blue car. That is the same as what you are telling me. I don't like the show as it is constucted, sold, wrote about in the media and previewed but I should assume that the character is not at all what everyone talked about, what they showed.

What you are talking about is retooling a show. Right now, her core is that she lacks focus. Because they can change it doesn't mean it is not true now.

From your argument, I would say that you never know the core of ANY character because they can write them completely different in the next show.

A very weak position to take.

Oh, and the pilot you are talking about oftend oesn't make it on the air. They chose to air it to win viewers. Then they intend it to be exactly what it is.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 17,749
For lack of a better way of putting this, I was charmed either by the show (not likely) or by Mindy Kaling (new crush). I think it's obvious that we're going to see some sort of Jack & Sawyer who will she pick between the British guy and the jerk who deciphered When Harry Met Sally. But I was mesmerized by Mindy Kaling (I've never watched The Office). It does seem like her personality could get a bit obnoxious if they don't develop her more, but for now I'm in on this show.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 6,945
I liked it. I will watch another one.
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
Cearbhaill
I was provoked
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rolling hills of eastern Kentucky
Posts: 13,037
Don't know quite what I was expecting but the vibe of the show was a little too "Sex in the City" for us. We were expecting sharper writing and it was just ok. I might check it out if the threads here think it gets better but judging from the pilot it's not for us.
__________________
-Toni
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.
 
ThePennyDropped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 3,371
I enjoyed it quite a bit, as did my husband, so we'll keep the season pass. So far, it's my favorite of the new sitcoms.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Didn't feel it at all. Timing very off.
I agree.

I'll give it one more chance.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,531
I really wanted to love it, but I'm with the folks stating "something feels off" because it did, there was something missing in the connection to her character and the audience, it felt like a character, as opposed to Jess on New Girl where they have never had the issue.

I'm in for the longer haul, it's a great concept with great folks involved, it just needs to gel.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

I agree.

I'll give it one more chance.
Oh. I give most comedy pilots a second chance. I will this one.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Andrew_S
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

Seriously, the credibility of a doctor on a SITCOM is a discussion point?
Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 17,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

Seriously, the credibility of a doctor on a SITCOM is a discussion point?
That was the first show I thought of when I saw the lack of realism from a doctor.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?
 
DreadPirateRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and The Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

Seriously, the credibility of a doctor on a SITCOM is a discussion point?
FYP.

/sarcasmfive
__________________
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just, literally, 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post

True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.

Seriously, the credibility of a doctor on a SITCOM is a discussion point?
Did you watch that show? They were serious about being doctors. JD's inner monologue was as often about being a good doctor.

Not seeing it with Mindy.

And yes, you need some credibility or the show is just nonsense.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #28
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_S View Post
True. Just look at Scrubs. JD, Turk, Elliot and Todd were very convincing in their portrayal of doctors.
I did see TonyD79's response too..

Turk was the most serious at the doctor part, it seemed to me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
I thought they showed that when she is working as a doctor she IS serious and focused. That was the point of the scene of her changing into her work underwear, scrubbing all the make-up off her face, and putting on her glasses. She is a woman who outside of her career wants to make some changes to her life. She just doesn't have it all together in her personal life but she is very tremendously self-aware.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Andrew_S
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I thought they showed that when she is working as a doctor she IS serious and focused. That was the point of the scene of her changing into her work underwear, scrubbing all the make-up off her face, and putting on her glasses. She is a woman who outside of her career wants to make some changes to her life. She just doesn't have it all together in her personal life but she is very tremendously self-aware.
That's what I got out of it too. Not sure where the "focusless" debate comes from. How would Dr. Frazier Crane fit into this whole discussion? Like or dislike the show, but the "a doctor wouldn't act that way" isn't much of an argument when it comes to sitcoms.
Andrew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |