TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Gerryex

Hawaii 5-0 9/24 **SPOILERS**

Hi ALL,

This show is a dichotomy! On the one hand it is a somewhat entertaining action mini-movie with good characters. That is the main reason that I will watch it.

But on the other hand, it is the most unbelievably stupid police show I've ever seen. One thing in this episode really stands out. When they find the dead bodies at that house they were able to figure out that the bad guys were going to take the place of the clean up workers going into the bombed out police building and steal something from the evidence room. So the 5-0 team gets into their cars with sirens screaming and races to the police building to tell them that there are bad guys impersonating the clean up crew. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST RADIO OR CALL THE POLICE ALREADY AT THE POLICE BUILDING AND HAVE THEM GO IN RIGHT AWAY!! Incredibly stupid!!! When the 5-0 team gets there the bad guys are already in the building. If they had called the regular police they would have been able to go in much earlier than the 5-0 team.

And to keep on in the same stupid theme, when they discover the bad guys have already been to the evidence room and are gone, again INSTEAD OF USING THE RADIO TO CALL SOMEONE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING, they run to the loading dock and the bad guys are already gone!!!!!

Anyway, for now I'll still keep watching, but there are times I'm yelling at the TV because they are so STUPID!!!

Gerry

P. S. Thumbs up to Christine Lahti as I haven't seen her in a long time and she really looked quite good!!
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

If you watch this show without checking your brain at the door, it won't end well for you.

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
busyba
The Funcooker

If I was one of the guards in the armored transport with Wo Fat, as soon as the truck went airborne I would have blown his head off.

That really should be the protocol for prisoner transport: any attempt to spring the prisoner results in summary execution. That would reduce the jailbreak attempts...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
markz
Hilarity Ensues

This was the worst episode of the series. It was also very disappointing season premiere for a show I was looking forward to.

I asked the very questions the OP did about using the darn radios to alert the other cops.

Also, the scene with the helicopter to take the armored car was stupid too. My wife immediately said the H50 had jumped the shark. I was surprised they didn't show the shark with the divers. I immediately called it that there were divers waiting.

Why couldn't they have just set the truck down on the deck of a cargo ship and skip the whole diver scene? Because they wanted the whole James Bond vibe!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Hi ALL,

But on the other hand, it is the most unbelievably stupid police show I've ever seen.
Apparently you never saw CSI Miami

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
or Cop Rock!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Why couldn't they have just set the truck down on the deck of a cargo ship and skip the whole diver scene?
That part actually made sense in the context of the whole thing. Dropping the truck in the water was an effective way of neutralizing the guards in the truck.

If they set the truck down on the cargo ship, you would still have to deal with the two guys with assault rifles in the hold.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That part actually made sense in the context of the whole thing. Dropping the truck in the water was an effective way of neutralizing the guards in the truck.

If they set the truck down on the cargo ship, you would still have to deal with the two guys with assault rifles in the hold.
That's true. Didn't consider that.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
eddyj

The level of intentional stupidity in this episode was staggering. In addition to the lack of calls mentioned above, how about using the radio to tell Steve and Mom that Wo Fat has escaped, so they can NOT land and tell everyone who she is?

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I am pretty sure they are using "replacement writers" this season!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Reading this, I'm glad I gave up the show before last season's finale. It's gone all the way into CSI: Miami territory. Even Scott Caan's entertaining performance isn't going to bring me back.

I'll just get the theme song from iTunes and let the rest of it go.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
DouglasPHill

How to fix 5.0? Have Grace Park in a string bikini every week. Always show great landscapes. Make the writing more believable and less like superman. Have a foot chase along a crowded beach every week. Make 5.0 part of the police department instead of some kind of elite military force. (I have this same problem with Flashpoint) Focus a lot less on the ongoing wofat character and more along solve the crime of the week. Car chases are good, stop unrealistic long range shooting with a pistol. Stop running off to foreign countries.

Last edited by DouglasPHill : 09-26-2012 at 11:47 AM.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Is this really any worse than the original Hawaii 5-0 with Jack Lord and company?

I don't think so.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Reading this, I'm glad I gave up the show before last season's finale. It's gone all the way into CSI: Miami territory. Even Scott Caan's entertaining performance isn't going to bring me back.

I'll just get the theme song from iTunes and let the rest of it go.
I have never had a problem with any episode until this one. I will keep coming back for the scenery, action, and Grace Park in a bikini!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
caslu

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Is this really any worse than the original Hawaii 5-0 with Jack Lord and company?

I don't think so.
No, it's not... in fact I might argue the original was worse.

I went back and watched the original Ed Asner episode when I heard this series was doing a pseudo sequel to it and it was not only badly done, it was intolerably boring... something this show is not.

Worst of all, no Grace Park in the original!
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
pmyers

ugh...more Wo Fat
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I gave up on the CSI's a long time ago!

Gerry
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Gerryex

Quote:
or Cop Rock!
I actually used to watch Cop Rock! While I'm not a musical person, it was kind of quirky for the cast to break out in song. But it still wasn't as dumb as this veraion of H 5-0!!

Gerry
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
stellie93

But really, in most cop shows aren't the stars always racing across town to get the bad guy where you would expect someone patrolling in the area to get there way quicker? It just emphasizes it when they're headed to the police station.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
ugh...more Wo Fat
Speaking of Wo Fat (Mark Dacascos) who incidentally got to the 7th round of Dancing with the Stars a few seasons ago and who is a martial arts expert.

I have to say he's miscast on looks alone, he's too "pretty".
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001092/
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

I like him in Iron Chef.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
or Cop Rock!
Don't compare this to Cop Rock!

That's an insult to Cop Rock
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #23
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

That 80 foot fall would have just about neutralized everyone permanently.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Well yes, there's that...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Still counts as a guilty pleasure in my house.

Yes, the storyline is ridiculous. Yes, the plot holes are huge enough to swallow the whole cast. But it's fun!

(...and Grace Park doesn't hurt, either )
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm glad I'm not the only ones who likes it!!

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
Jack Palance

Tis a shame. Watching the new version makes me realize how good the old show Hawaii 5-0 was from the 70's.
Jack Palance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Vrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post

I don't think so.
Yes, it is worse. The original was much better than the new show, and if you think it's as worse as the new one, you weren't watching it.
Vrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Vrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
No, it's not... in fact I might argue the original was worse.

I went back and watched the original Ed Asner episode when I heard this series was doing a pseudo sequel to it and it was not only badly done, it was intolerably boring... something this show is not.

Worst of all, no Grace Park in the original!
So you saw one episode, didn't even watch it properly, were turned off by it because it wasn't flashy and full of violence, and label the entire series as boring? Maybe if you paid attention, the original would not have been boring. Grace Park was a child when the original was on, so she could not have been a part of the team, unless you expected her to busting pint-sized crayon thieves.

You're expecting gun fights, explosions, car chases, and hot women right and left? That's going to get old, fast, and not make sense in every storyline, and it will make the show boring and predictable. The original was a police procedural that focused on the crimes and how they were committed, not on flashy violence. Maybe you like those things and are entertained by them, but they don't make a show interesting in the long run. The original Five-O was based on crime-solving, and the detectives using their intellect and abilities to do so. Complaining that there is no Grace Park says that's the main reason you watch this show, and not for her acting.

How was the Ed Asner episode "badly done" and "intolerably boring"? Try explaining that.

Last edited by Vrinda : 10-07-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Vrinda is offline   Reply With Quote