TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
ADG
Allan

You would think that an awards show that celebrates television and attracts as many viewers as the Emmy's would have at least HALF decent writing. The opening "skit" was embarrassingly awful and it went downhill from there. One or two cute bits (the acceptance speech switch with Amy Pohler was certainly funny). And I'm not in any way overly sentimental, but I thought the fake memoriam for Jimmy Kimmel was in TERRIBLE taste and highly offensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm just imagining the epic poopstorm that would have erupted had the genders been reversed in that opening skit.

And even though it was the Emmys, it was nice of Amy Pohler to showcase her Golden Globes.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

A few things I noticed:

First, with all of the political talk, I was a little surprised that the In Memoriam segment left out writer (and Emmy winner) Tom Davis, considering he was the long-time writing partner of Senator Franken.

Second, ABC's "at-home Emmy ballot" (which was a copy of the one at the official Emmys site) was missing the Writing and Directing for a Comedy Special categories, but included the Writing and Directing for a Comedy Series awards, which were given out last week (the four alternate between the two ceremonies). I point this out because when the Comedy Special Writing and Directing winners gave their speeches, the on-screen graphics said "Comedy Series" both times.

Also, the show's director said that his crew wasn't eligible for Emmys, but in fact there is nothing in the Emmy rules that says that the Emmy Awards telecasts are not eligible for Emmys; I think it's more of a "policy" that they don't enter, as it would make the awards look rigged. (I think the only type of show specifically banned from receiving nominations is a political party telethon, and I don't think there have been any national ones in the past 40 years.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #34
Cainebj

Man that was a boring telecast and Jimmy Kimmel was not so great.

I agree - the fake in memoriam was in bad taste.

I do like Homeland but I didn't think it deserved the 3 major wins in acting and series - it may however be that I am completely over anything with terrorist related stories.

and the person who said the best actor nominees looked unhappy? all i thought on the shot of Cranston after the winner was announced was "man he's is pissed off!"

i wish i had realized you all were live commenting that would have been more fun

Last edited by Cainebj : 09-24-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: type
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Also, the show's director said that his crew wasn't eligible for Emmys, but in fact there is nothing in the Emmy rules that says that the Emmy Awards telecasts are not eligible for Emmys
I think you may have misunderstood him. The way I heard it, he was referring to (and thanking) all the people in his crew who are in job descriptions that don't have Emmy categories, like Stage Managers and Assistant Directors and such, but who, in his opinion, are every bit as important as the Director.

So his crew doesn't get to get Emmys, not because they are working the Emmys. but because only the Director gets Emmys.

That's the way I interpreted it, anyway.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I think you may have misunderstood him. The way I heard it, he was referring to (and thanking) all the people in his crew who are in job descriptions that don't have Emmy categories, like Stage Managers and Assistant Directors and such, but who, in his opinion, are every bit as important as the Director.

So his crew doesn't get to get Emmys, not because they are working the Emmys. but because only the Director gets Emmys.

That's the way I interpreted it too.

Maybe I should watch Homeland. I don't get HBO or showtime ot whaterver channel it's on. But I think someone sent me episodes on a DVD.

Problem is Fall season has started up and I have a ton of crap to watch again.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

That's the way I interpreted it too.

Maybe I should watch Homeland. I don't get HBO or showtime ot whaterver channel it's on. But I think someone sent me episodes on a DVD.

Homeland is likely better than any of your crap.

Just sayin'...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

Just sayin'...
Probably. But I have to watch it to determine if it is crap or not (i.e. all the new shows starting up), plus I sill like to watch a lot of these shows, even if t hey aren't the best shows out there.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #39
DLiquid
Progressive User

Homeland is awesome. It deserved the wins for drama, actress, actor, and writing.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
busyba
The Funcooker

Homeland is like 24, except with compelling characters and storylines, and without brain-dead subplots.

Seriously, it's fandamntastic. I had recorded the first season, but never got around to starting it until a few months ago, well after the season had ended. I would sit down with the intent to only watch one episode, but would end up watching 3 or 4 and only begrudgingly stopping.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:

I stand corrected. In fact, after checking the rules, ADs and Stage Managers in the Academy aren't even allowed to vote on nominations for the Directing categories - just the Program (e.g. Comedy Series) categories.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #42
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Homeland is awesome. It deserved the wins for drama, actress, actor, and writing.
Quote:
Homeland is like 24, except with compelling characters and storylines, and without brain-dead subplots.

Seriously, it's fandamntastic. I had recorded the first season, but never got around to starting it until a few months ago, well after the season had ended. I would sit down with the intent to only watch one episode, but would end up watching 3 or 4 and only begrudgingly stopping.

Y'all talked me into it. I just bought Season 1 for streaming on Amazon. Looks like something I'll enjoy.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

You will not be disappointed. Homeland is a fantastic show. There's not a ton of action, yet the show is constantly filled with tension and suspense, due to the excellent writing and acting.

I was torn on the Best Supporting Actor - Drama category. I'd have been happy with any of Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito, Jared Harris, or Peter Dinklage.

Can't believe Mad Men still has not won a single acting Emmy, despite its four straight (before this year) wins for Best Drama Series. John Hamm is ridiculously talented and keeps getting overlooked.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #44
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was shocked to see Curb Your Enthusiasm get a nomination. For some reason my SP hasn't been picking it up... Is it STILL on the air? When did the last season end? Very confused...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I'm ready to lead the Modern Family backlash. It's a good show, but kind of uneven now and not the best comedy of last season.
Read a very interesting article about Modern Family last week which details the fact that the shows co-creators, Steve Levitan and Chris Lloyd, had a falling out shortly after the show debuted and they now do not work together when producing the show. They realized that they each had very different ideas about what is funny and what the tone of the show should be, and rather than getting into endless debates in the writers room that would never get resolved, they landed on an arrangement where they split up the season into even-numbered episodes and odd-numbered episodes. Levitan oversees the odd-numbered episodes and Lloyd isn't even in the writer's room while those are being worked on, and then Lloyd takes the even-numbered episodes and Levitan is absent for those. Supposedly if you're paying attention, you can spot the difference in tone from episode to episode since the two of them seem to have a very different idea about how the show should work.

Quote:
Lloyd says the clash stemmed from his and Levitan's opposing views on why Modern worked so well. "We had different ideas about what the things were that were making the show click," he says. "That can lead to differences of opinion, and it was not going to be practical for us to argue every point of every episode. … [The arrangement that we've worked out] will lead to situations where you go, 'Well, that's not how I would have done that,' but it is a much more practical way than to have both of us sort of swing away on every problem."

The show's cast and writers have become the de facto glue that holds the show together and ensures that viewers can't tell the difference between a "Chris episode" and a "Steve episode" -- though insiders can point to the variations in vibe and style. "I tend to think that Chris writes with his mind and Steve writes with his heart," says O'Shannon, who adds: "With Steve, it's the heart and the real and the emotion and the true, and with Chris, it's the structure and the satisfying experience of watching a story come together and unfold and bringing people together in unexpected ways." For whatever differences there are in style and approach, writers say that at no point have Lloyd or Levitan ever tried to divide the staff. "Their situation works incredibly well for them," adds Walden. "I don't know that I would necessarily look at that model and say you can lay it into every show. It works here because they trust that they're both aiming for that same high bar."

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #46
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better. It's a MUCH smarter version of 24. Hopefully they can keep it up.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #47
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I was shocked to see Curb Your Enthusiasm get a nomination. For some reason my SP hasn't been picking it up... Is it STILL on the air? When did the last season end? Very confused...
It ended about a year ago I think. Larry David always takes long breaks. It's been on 12 years and I think has only had 8 seasons.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #48
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

and the person who said the best actor nominees looked unhappy? all i thought on the shot of Cranston after the winner was announced was "man he's is pissed off!"
I'm glad I'm not the only one. They all looked genuinely mad to me. It could have been acting but I'm not so sure. I got the feeling they don't like Damien Lewis.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #49
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Woo hoo, Tom Bergeron won for DWTS!
It's a pity Bergeron wasn't hosting the Emmys. The show would have been a whole lot funnier.

Fave moment of the night: the director. Both for the shout-out to the ADs and stage manager, and for giving the direction to play him off because his speech was taking too long.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #50
mattack

Seth McFarlane DID have a microphone on, right? I sure thought that looked like part of a a microphone on him.. So it wasn't just that he was a few feet away from a standing microphone (but then walked to a DISTANT one)… it was that his mic wasn't working, right?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #51
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Fave moment of the night: the director. Both for the shout-out to the ADs and stage manager, and for giving the direction to play him off because his speech was taking too long.
Heh... right before he did that, I paused it and turned to my GF and said, "you know... since he's the director, he can talk as long as he wants and not get played off, since he's the guy who tells them to play a person off."

Then I unpaused it and he immediately asked to be played off.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #52
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Seth McFarlane DID have a microphone on, right? I sure thought that looked like part of a a microphone on him.. So it wasn't just that he was a few feet away from a standing microphone (but then walked to a DISTANT one)… it was that his mic wasn't working, right?
The presenters are not miked. They all walk to a standing mike.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #53
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I thought the Seth MacFarlane thing was scripted that way. The fact that he then walked to the distant mic when there was one right next to him made the joke, IMO.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
The latest season ran July through September, 2011. The eligibility period for this Emmys was 6/1/2011 through 5/31/2012. Any nominations the Tony Awards received, as well as Cat Deeley's for hosting So You Think You Can Dance?, were also based on shows in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I thought the Seth MacFarlane thing was scripted that way. The fact that he then walked to the distant mic when there was one right next to him made the joke, IMO.
I'm pretty sure it was a legitimate mistake; you can barely hear Seth reading his lines as the center microphone rises from the floor (and off to the right of where he's standing) before he realizes he should be over to one side of the stage. BTW, I counted six YouTube clips of his "This is gonna be on YouTube" remark so far.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #55
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Read a very interesting article about Modern Family last week which details the fact that the shows co-creators, Steve Levitan and Chris Lloyd, had a falling out shortly after the show debuted and they now do not work together when producing the show. They realized that they each had very different ideas about what is funny and what the tone of the show should be, and rather than getting into endless debates in the writers room that would never get resolved, they landed on an arrangement where they split up the season into even-numbered episodes and odd-numbered episodes. Levitan oversees the odd-numbered episodes and Lloyd isn't even in the writer's room while those are being worked on, and then Lloyd takes the even-numbered episodes and Levitan is absent for those. Supposedly if you're paying attention, you can spot the difference in tone from episode to episode since the two of them seem to have a very different idea about how the show should work.
Interesting. Kind of like the later years of Lennon and McCartney.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #56
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Once again Fringe and John Noble get overlooked.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #57
mattack

Quote:
The presenters are not miked. They all walk to a standing mike.
It sure looked like there was a mic behind one of his collars or something.. There was a little black thing sticking out.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #58
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
...Maybe I should watch Homeland. I don't get HBO or showtime ot whaterver channel it's on. But I think someone sent me episodes on a DVD.

Problem is that CBS and Showtime think nothing of showing Homeland scenes that are major spoilers. The report on the CBS Sunday Morning gave away about every spoiler in the first season.

They never heard of people catching up on DVD and VoD?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #59
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It sure looked like there was a mic behind one of his collars or something.. There was a little black thing sticking out.
There are quite a few photos of Seth at the Emmys, and I don't notice anything. It could have been some combination of his wearing a white coat over his black suit, and shadows.

Still, it's possible that he had a wireless mic on to catch what he says offstage, but even if he did, I don't think they could patch that mic up to the theater's speakers.