TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Cooperative scheduling has never been an issue for me either. It's another reason why I opted for an HTPC over multiple Tivo boxes. I used to have to create a schedule grid and assign specific shows to each Tivo so there wouldn't be any conflicts. If something special got aired in addition to my regular shows it was usually a nightmare trying to work around it and still get all of my shows.
Sounds like cooperative scheduling would have helped a lot in your case. The point of cooperative scheduling is to allow multiple TiVos communicate with one another and allow them to automatically reschedule shows they can't get due to conflict on one of the other TiVos on your network. So basically you'd turn multiple TiVos into a big tuner bank. It would be nice to have, even now, but I just don't think TiVo is heading in that direction.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #32
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
lrhorer made a good point in that a HTPC for OTA only can be even cheaper than what I was inferring.
Implying, not inferring. Infer is to imply as receive is to send. One person makes implications from which another draws inferrences.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
To each their own I guess. But I still think you guys are in the minority.
Surely by "you guys" you don't mean me? I have absolutely no intention of buying an HTPC or of switching to OTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I still think that for most people buying one TiVo with 4 (or 6) tuners and a couple of Minis to use around the house would be a lot cheaper (both upfront and power usage wise)
That depends on how one approaches it. I am also not obsessively concerned about cost if a more expensive system better meets my needs. I do want the best value, for the money, of course, and don't care at all to pay for things (like 4 tuners) which do little or nothing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
and easier to setup. I know you guys want flexibility,
Yes, but not only that. I want reliability. With your proposed setup, the failure of a $0.10 capacitor can cause the entire setup, costing perhaps well over $1000, to fail completely. 'Same for an HTPC with satellites. I much prefer that when - not if but when - one of the components of the system fail the other components continue to work without interruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
but most people just want something to work. They don't want infinite options to configure everything. They just want simplicity and will (usually) scrafice flexibility to get it.
Well, there is one born every minute, you know. Certainly many people espouse this utterly foolish notion, but I counter with this:

A system does not work unless it performs the way I want it to in every detail. A system is not "easy" to set up if after doing so it fails to meet my needs, no matter how trivial the setup effort may have been.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
my computer uses about 500 watts when playing call of duty mw3 at 1080p 90 fps
It makes my ps3 look obsolete. But its recording 4 shows while playing cod mw3.
I find that extremely unlikely. 500 watts is a huge amount of power; enough to cause a 2 cm sphere to reach high enough temperatures to melt lead. A motherboard with CPU may at most draw 180 watts - probably much, much less, and it would require at least 25 hard drives to make up the rest. The servers and arrays in my computer room don't draw that much power, and there are two servers hosting a total of 26 hard drives.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Tuners in any for or fashion is fine. I don't care if I have to have multiple Tivos to get what I need. However, I would like for TiVo to implement cooperative scheduling and an integrated NPL. Then it would not matter which box records it. I should not have to care which one records it or which one it is that has the recording. It should just work like one virtual TiVo.
The problem is the MPAA pees in its pants at the thought anyone, anywhere, might have a copy of a movie on hand they have not paid for at least three times.

Cooperative scheduling is only mostly practical if copy protection does not interfere. For me, TiVoWebPlus does a more than adequate job of allowing schedule manipulation on those rare occasions when a pair of tuners cannot be employed to resolve a three-way conflict. With 24 hours in a day and 8 tuners at the ready, it just is not an issue very often.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
tootal2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 936
Its not the cpu the uses the power in gaming its the gpu. some gaming computers can have 3 video cards useing 800 watts or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I find that extremely unlikely. 500 watts is a huge amount of power; enough to cause a 2 cm sphere to reach high enough temperatures to melt lead. A motherboard with CPU may at most draw 180 watts - probably much, much less, and it would require at least 25 hard drives to make up the rest. The servers and arrays in my computer room don't draw that much power, and there are two servers hosting a total of 26 hard drives.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I find that extremely unlikely. 500 watts is a huge amount of power; enough to cause a 2 cm sphere to reach high enough temperatures to melt lead. A motherboard with CPU may at most draw 180 watts - probably much, much less, and it would require at least 25 hard drives to make up the rest. The servers and arrays in my computer room don't draw that much power, and there are two servers hosting a total of 26 hard drives.
Nothing unusual about 500 watts with a gaming rig. If you have one of the expensive gaming video cards it will certainly draw alot of power. I used to have a couple of power supplies in two rigs(not for gaming) that would each always draw around 500 watts no matter what the load(it was designed that way). I don't remember the reason for it but it was rated well. But this was a few years ago when I wasn't concerned with my power usage.

My current PC and TiVo Desktop PC each draws around 140 watts with just web browsing and several SSDs. But even that is too much. I used to leave half a dozen PCs/servers running 24/7. But not any more since electricity rates have gone up so much in the last few years in this area.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The problem is the MPAA pees in its pants at the thought anyone, anywhere, might have a copy of a movie on hand they have not paid for at least three times.

Cooperative scheduling is only mostly practical if copy protection does not interfere.
With the Premiere's ability to stream even copy protected content it no longer matters which TiVo holds a show. You just select a program on any TiVo on your network and hit play and it will play no matter what copy protection it has. The flag prevents there from being more then one "copy", but it doesn't prevent you from playing that copy back anywhere inside your home.

TiVo might even be able to skirt it even more and allow people to move recordings from one TiVo to another or even a TiVo to PC or iPad. As long as the original copy is destroyed as it's being transferred then you only have one copy and you're still within the rules. Although I don't think they'll ever do this as there are too many variables and too many things that could go wrong that could result in customer dissatisfaction. Plus their encryption on the PC is a joke so cable labs and the MPAA might not take to kindly to that.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #39
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
With the Premiere's ability to stream even copy protected content it no longer matters which TiVo holds a show.
Yes, it does. First of all, streaming is only available from one Premier to another. Anyone who already owns an S3 must either downgrade to a Premier at significant expense or else streaming is not an option to that unit. Secondly, when the TiVo in question fails, the show is lost, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You just select a program on any TiVo on your network and hit play and it will play no matter what copy protection it has.
Incorrect. Any Premier on the network, not any TiVo. Plenty of people still have Series III even Series II or Series I TiVos on their network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The flag prevents there from being more then one "copy", but it doesn't prevent you from playing that copy back anywhere inside your home.
Oh, yes it does. It can't be played on any of my PCs, or a laptop, or a DVD / BluRay player. As already mentioned, it can't be played back on an S1, S2, or S3 TiVo.

As much as I like the S3 TiVo platform, there is no way I am gong to allow TiVo to lock me into their product, even if the Premier were otherwise acceptable, which it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Plus their encryption on the PC is a joke so cable labs and the MPAA might not take to kindly to that.
The MPAA doesn't take kindly to people owning DVRs, at all, or of allowing MRV. There's nothing they can do about those things at this point, though. The encryption on a TiVo is perfectly strong, and if that encryption were kept on the files when they transferred, it is unlikely it would ever be broken. TiVo evidently isn't taking any chances, though.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #40
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Nothing unusual about 500 watts with a gaming rig.
Oh, yes, there is. There is nothing unusual about a 500 Watt or even a 700 watt power supply, but a machine actually pulling that much power continuously is another matter. Gaming machines often hit high peaks, but their continuous dissipation is usually much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you have one of the expensive gaming video cards it will certainly draw alot of power.
Yes, but even 100 watts is a helluva lot of power for something the size of a video card. Of course, some are double-width, but even then dissipating that much power in a device that size without it glowing cherry red is a challenge. It is also a challenge to deliver more than 8 amps on the 12V traces or more than 20 amps on the 5V traces of a motherboard to be delivered to a plug-in peripheral card. It is not impossible, of course, but it is definitely not trivial. When I was an engineer for a CATV system, I had monumental headaches with CATV amplifiers made by RCA that supposedly were rated for 15A at 50C, but the motherboards regularly burned up carrying anything more than 12A in the Texas heat. I finally quit arguing with the manufacturer and instead went on a campaign to re-design the power realms so that no amplifier carried more than 12 amps.

Note the maximum permissible draw on a standard 5-15R 110VAC receptacle is just a hair over 1500 watts. A small electric space heater might dissipate 500W on its low setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I used to have a couple of power supplies in two rigs(not for gaming) that would each always draw around 500 watts no matter what the load(it was designed that way).
I'm skeptical. If so, it was a truly lousy design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't remember the reason for it but it was rated well.
It doesn't matter what it was rated, it was still a foolish design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My current PC and TiVo Desktop PC each draws around 140 watts with just web browsing and several SSDs.
That is fairly high, especially with SSDs. A TTG and GoBack server needn't draw more than 50 watts, if that. A low speed, low power CPU is all that is required, with no video board and no attached mouse or keyboard. A headless thin client attached hosted by a low power array or a low power NAS will work just fine.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-10-2012 at 01:53 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #41
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
I've built an HTPC and have Silicon Dust tuners on my network, but I abandoned the idea of replacing my Tivos because I thought the amount of tinkering/maintenance would be too high to use them as anything more than toys. It's cool to have, but it's certainly not mainstream. Heck, most just settle for whatever the generic cable company DVR is.


I have two Elites and two Premieres, so I have more TiVo tuners than I really need, but I would still like to see cooperative scheduling (I live in the Mountain Time Zone, so I have to start every network program two minutes early (or maybe it's just a Denver local issue). That would be the single biggest addition to base function in a long time. As others have said, with MRS and the Stream, it no longer matters where a recording resides, but it can still take a lot of work setting up Season Passes and scheduling to get those recordings in the first place.
__________________
- Roamio; Roamio Pro; Premiere Elite
- Premiere (2TB) (both for sale - PM me)
- TiVo Mini x 3
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #42
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Sounds like cooperative scheduling would have helped a lot in your case. The point of cooperative scheduling is to allow multiple TiVos communicate with one another and allow them to automatically reschedule shows they can't get due to conflict on one of the other TiVos on your network. So basically you'd turn multiple TiVos into a big tuner bank. It would be nice to have, even now, but I just don't think TiVo is heading in that direction.

Dan
Sure, it would have helped. Considering it doesn't yet exist in Tivoland doesn't do me or anyone else much good, hence the desire for a one box solution. WMC with media extenders allows for cooperative scheduling because it's all done via one primary PC. You can schedule shows remotely from any extender networked with the HTPC. In other words, HTPCs with WMC have offered what Tivo owners have been wanting from day one. Chalk that one up in the "pro" column for HTPCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Implying, not inferring. Infer is to imply as receive is to send. One person makes implications from which another draws inferrences.
Seriously? You have got way too much time on your hands.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,803
My current PCs are old. The only things I've built in the last few years have been a couple of unRAID servers. My PCs are over four years old and the CPUs are rated at something like 100 watts with a Core 2 Quad and an old Phenom 4 core processor.

This has been the longest time during the last seventeen years that I have gone without upgrading my PCs. Since I have been on a kick to use less power the last couple of years I guess I should have checked into upgrading my systems. At this point I was planning on waiting for Windows 8 to be released so I can do clean installs. BUt if I could get my power usage for each PC down 40% I would be very pleased.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-10-2012 at 07:45 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
turbobozz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/VA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My current PCs are old. The only things I've built in the last few years have been a couple of unRAID servers. My PCs are over four years old and the CPUs are rated at something like 100 watts with a Core 2 Quad and an old Phenom 4 core processor.

This has been the longest time during the last seventeen years that I have gone without upgrading my PCs. Since I have been on a kick to use less power the last couple of years I guess I should have checked into upgrading my systems. At this point I was planning on waiting for Windows 8 to be released so I can do clean installs. BUt if I could get my power usage for each PC down 40% I would be very pleased.
I built my current desktop in mid 2010 purposefully to do some gaming and to be a WMC server.
At the time I went with a Lynnfield CPU and an ATI 58xx class GPU because they could both step down in power significantly better than other available options at the time.
I also used massive heatsink for better passive cooling, and the mobo was capable of spinning up fans as needed.
I've never put one of the power meters on it to see how much it pulls doing different things though.... maybe I should do that sometime.
I believe most of the of the more recent CPUs from both Intel and AMD handle power step downs pretty well automatically.
Same for Nvidia and AMD GPUs, I think. (If you intend to do some gaming.)
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
WMC with media extenders allows for cooperative scheduling because it's all done via one primary PC. You can schedule shows remotely from any extender networked with the HTPC. In other words, HTPCs with WMC have offered what Tivo owners have been wanting from day one. Chalk that one up in the "pro" column for HTPCs.
The XL4 in combination with the upcoming TiVo Mini will offer the same ability. You have one central TiVo with 4 tuners and the Mini is an extender that can watch anything on the host TiVo and schedule recordings on it. It'll be very similar to the HTPC/XBox setup except the boxes involved will require a LOT less power to operate and the combination should be a bit cheaper.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, it does. First of all, streaming is only available from one Premier to another. Anyone who already owns an S3 must either downgrade to a Premier at significant expense or else streaming is not an option to that unit.

...

Incorrect. Any Premier on the network, not any TiVo. Plenty of people still have Series III even Series II or Series I TiVos on their network.
Obviously you have some sort of resentment of the Premiere platform and/or the fact that the S3 platform was abandoned. Nothing I can do to help with that other then say... For me the Premiere units work just fine so the added features make them an upgrade not a "downgrade".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Secondly, when the TiVo in question fails, the show is lost, period.
Nothing I record from TV is important enough that I'd be devastated if one of my TiVos failed. It would suck, but I'd live. It's not like we're talking about irreplaceable family photos or financial data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Oh, yes it does. It can't be played on any of my PCs, or a laptop, or a DVD / BluRay player. As already mentioned, it can't be played back on an S1, S2, or S3 TiVo.
I'm hoping that support for PC streaming will be added to a future release of TiVo Desktop, but I will concede that is a limitation. Although the DVD/BluRay limitation apples to MCE recorded shows as well. Anything that is encrypted is locked into the ecosystem that recorded it. That doesn't only apply to TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The MPAA doesn't take kindly to people owning DVRs, at all, or of allowing MRV. There's nothing they can do about those things at this point, though. The encryption on a TiVo is perfectly strong, and if that encryption were kept on the files when they transferred, it is unlikely it would ever be broken. TiVo evidently isn't taking any chances, though.
TiVo uses hardware based encryption on the TiVo itself, they can't just pass that along to a PC. They invented the current encryption scheme as a way of converting their hardware based encryption to something transferable to a PC. Their mistake was providing a DirectShow filter that basically strips the encryption but leaves the original stream intact. That allowed hackers to reverse engineer the encryption and ultimately break it. No way to put that cat back into the bag at this point.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #47
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The XL4 in combination with the upcoming TiVo Mini will offer the same ability. You have one central TiVo with 4 tuners and the Mini is an extender that can watch anything on the host TiVo and schedule recordings on it. It'll be very similar to the HTPC/XBox setup except the boxes involved will require a LOT less power to operate and the combination should be a bit cheaper.

Dan
I agree. It will be a boon to Tivo users to be able to share content without having to buy additional Tivos. The only caveat is that you still don't have OTA reception. Still, kudos to Tivo for providing a less expensive alternative to MRV. If the Tivo Mini also offers a UI that permits access and control of the primary Tivo then this would finally provide the cooperative scheduling function for multiple locations. Tivo now needs to come up with an add-on OTA tuner module that connects via USB or the eSATA interface.

OTOH, it's a bit of a catch22 situation. I'm no big fan of extenders simply due to the fact that you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. You're assuming the primary Tivo or HTPC will never go offline, which we all know does happen on occasion. When it does, the household goes into a turmoil until they get their TV back again.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 09-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #48
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Obviously [lrhorer has] some sort of resentment of the Premiere platform...
He only resents that the Premieres aren't hackable like the Series 3 machines.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #49
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think it's the "answer", but I think it's the plan. I've been asking TiVo for cooperative scheduling for nearly a decade, back when TiVos only had one tuner and cooperative scheduling would have improved the product immensely, but they never listened. Now that they have boxes that are capable of recording 4 channels at once, and 6 tuner units on the horizon, their motivation for developing cooperative scheduling has diminished even further. Which is why I think it's unlikely to ever happen.

Dan
funny thing is that we now have a free space indicator and Hulu plus! That's just awesome.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #50
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

With the Premiere's ability to stream even copy protected content it no longer matters which TiVo holds a show. You just select a program on any TiVo on your network and hit play and it will play no matter what copy protection it has. The flag prevents there from being more then one "copy", but it doesn't prevent you from playing that copy back anywhere inside your home.

TiVo might even be able to skirt it even more and allow people to move recordings from one TiVo to another or even a TiVo to PC or iPad. As long as the original copy is destroyed as it's being transferred then you only have one copy and you're still within the rules. Although I don't think they'll ever do this as there are too many variables and too many things that could go wrong that could result in customer dissatisfaction. Plus their encryption on the PC is a joke so cable labs and the MPAA might not take to kindly to that.

Dan
You can't stream you Amazon content from one box to the other though. I'm not sure why that is.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #51
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Obviously you have some sort of resentment of the Premiere platform and/or the fact that the S3 platform was abandoned. Nothing I can do to help with that other then say... For me the Premiere units work just fine so the added features make them an upgrade not a "downgrade".
From what I've read in previous threads, the S3 can be modified to disable the copy protection codes so that anything can be copied from the Tivo to a disk array for archiving. Copy protection can't be disabled on the S4.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nothing I record from TV is important enough that I'd be devastated if one of my TiVos failed. It would suck, but I'd live. It's not like we're talking about irreplaceable family photos or financial data.
I agree, but from what I've read in previous threads, there is some programming that is very rare and may have only been available to record once in the past decade with the copy protection flag set and is not available digitally anywhere else. In this case an S3 that has been modified to disable the copy protection is needed to capture the program and archive it for future viewing.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #52
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, hang on. The desire for a 4 tuner anything suggests the OP is not wanting to have multiple anythings, so MRV may be a moot point. To put it another way, if the OP intends to have multiple DVRs of whatever type, then 4 tuners in one DVR is not particularly attractive. (Indeed, that is one major reason I have no desire for a 4 tuner DVR.)

Given the lack of anything even remotely interesting on OTA channels (other than PBS),
See, that's your opinion, but to the rest of us (and I definitely think it's closer to the average consumer than your viewpoint), the multiple tuners are MORE necessary _because_ of the OTA channels than cable channels. (I am including the cable rebroadcasts of the "broadcast" networks, not just literally OTA with an antenna.)

The cable channels DO typically rerun their shows many times within the week, so multiple tuners are FAR less needed, IMHO. The LACK of reruns _and_ the stupid timeslot overlap business (though that is also necessary on cable -- e.g. MTV programming can slip either direction several minutes, all Discovery, Biography, and E! channel shows need 1 minute end pad), are what make multiple tuners necessary for broadcast networks.

The most popular shows _are_ still on the broadcast networks, even though you apparently don't like them.

Heck, I don't like the lack of OTA tuners in the Premiere 4/XL4, but I'm not currently using them in my Tivo HD, so will grit my teeth and deal with being "tied" to cable, for the additional tuners. (I'm hoping one of those BB 10-12% off coupons I keep hearing about comes out sometime soon, then I'll use my Viggle-earned BB GCs to get a Premiere 4 free, and pay just for lifetime.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #53
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
He only resents that the Premieres aren't hackable like the Series 3 machines.
He's not alone in that assessment.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #54
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, but even 100 watts is a helluva lot of power for something the size of a video card. Of course, some are double-width, but even then dissipating that much power in a device that size without it glowing cherry red is a challenge. It is also a challenge to deliver more than 8 amps on the 12V traces or more than 20 amps on the 5V traces of a motherboard to be delivered to a plug-in peripheral card. It is not impossible, of course, but it is definitely not trivial. When I was an engineer for a CATV system, I had monumental headaches with CATV amplifiers made by RCA that supposedly were rated for 15A at 50C, but the motherboards regularly burned up carrying anything more than 12A in the Texas heat. I finally quit arguing with the manufacturer and instead went on a campaign to re-design the power realms so that no amplifier carried more than 12 amps.
Probably why there are standards for gaming video cards to use 6 pin or 8 pin sockets to plug in additional power connections from the power supply; rather than trying to power themselves exclusively off the motherboard's power traces.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #55
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
HTPCs are nice. But they are power hogs, can be a bit loud and are significantly more expensive then a dedicated device like a TiVo.
After all the discussion about HTPCs being power hogs I thought I'd invest in a Kill A Watt meter and see just what this beast was using. So far it appears to average about 85 watts. The CPU is an Intel i5-660 (73W dual core) with an ASRock H55DE3 motherboard and 8GB RAM. I don't put mine to sleep and just let it run 24/7. 85W is slightly less power than a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb. I'm going to leave the meter connected for a longer period to see how that equates to kilowatt-hours.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
After all the discussion about HTPCs being power hogs I thought I'd invest in a Kill A Watt meter and see just what this beast was using. So far it appears to average about 85 watts. The CPU is an Intel i5-660 (73W dual core) with an ASRock H55DE3 motherboard and 8GB RAM. I don't put mine to sleep and just let it run 24/7. 85W is slightly less power than a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb. I'm going to leave the meter connected for a longer period to see how that equates to kilowatt-hours.

100 watts!!!! Or are you talking about an incandescent bulb? My Floor lamps use 72 watts and put out the equivalent light of a 300 watt incandescent bulb. Aren't they supposed to finally start the phase out of the power hogging incandescent bulbs next month?

Bottom line, even 85 watts adds up over time. My power usage is noticeably lower now with two Elites and one two Tuner Premiere, than when I was using eight, two tuner premieres.

Although the biggest change wwas when I stopped running my servers 24/7. Those draw over 200 watts each since I use so many hard drives and external cases.

But I guess the bottom line is the power usage doesn't really matter as long as the user is comfortable with whatever it is. I know I'm uncomfotabel now with my main PC drawing 140 watts. I really need to purchase a tiny PC that can still use a corei7 but use 40% less power. i don't need to be using these large boxes any more for my main PCs. with the electricty rates around here rising 5% to 10% each year I've been try to use less energy from my devices.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #57
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,799
TiVos use about 22 watts each, so a 4 tuner Premiere uses 1/4 as much power. I know your system is more capable, but that's still a big difference. And the only extender available for an HTPC, the XBox 360, draws about 120 watts when playing a video. Those aren't used as much, so not as big of a deal, but still much higher then a second TiVo. And I'm assuming the Mini will draw even less.

Dan
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #58
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
100 watts!!!! Or are you talking about an incandescent bulb? My Floor lamps use 72 watts and put out the equivalent light of a 300 watt incandescent bulb. Aren't they supposed to finally start the phase out of the power hogging incandescent bulbs next month?
Geeezzz Dude, don't have a cow for god's sake. I was just using the 100-watt bulb for comparison purposes.

Keep in mind that my current setup is at least a couple years old and the hardware isn't the most energy efficient. Lots of current CPU models use far less energy as do other PC components. After seeing the actual numbers I'll be sure to concentrate on a more efficient configuration next time around. FWIW, the extra cost for electricity is well worth it to me for what my HTPC can do when compared to my old Tivos.

If you want more you'll have to pay a little more. It's not worth bickering over nickels and dimes. Let's face it, both Tivos and HTPCs are luxury items and not necessities. If you're really that concerned about pinching pennies then you probably shouldn't own either one.

What's amazing is that almost everyone has a cell phone of some kind these days, which is a total luxury item unless you use it in your line of work. I don't hear see anyone griping about the cost of cell phones to the point where they want to cut the wireless cord. Aside from a car or mortgage payment and possibly other utility bills, it's probably the biggest monthly bill people pay, but ask them if they'd be willing to part with it and chances are you'll get a "Hell, No!" as a response. It all boils down to what it's worth to you and what you're willing to pay for the convenience.

FYI, I just downloaded the new Ceton Companion app for my Android phone and it's awesome. I haven't had much time to play with it yet but it lets me connect with my HTPC from anywhere. I can check my recording schedule and program guide and set up recordings in real time as well as other things I haven't explored yet. I scheduled my HTPC to record Monday Night Football from the phone and it showed up in the schedule by the time I walked into the next room to check it.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 09-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #59
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,907
I gripe about the cost of cell phones. I only have an expensive one due to work. Before that, I had a $5/month Virgin Mobile phone… and would likely try to find the cheapest way to go iPhone if I didn't have a work one anymore. (i.e. I'd do the $30/month ones at MOST, but possibly go back to a crappy phone and get an iPod touch instead.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #60
wwsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Why OTA is still important

Well, I've read through this entire thread and I surprised that nobody has mentioned the usefulness of OTA everytime a cable company has a dispute with one of the local channels. Right now Optimum / Cablevision is having a dispute with WPIX. With a Tivo HD I can simply add back in the OTA channel in the setup screean and not be dependent on the cable company to get my recordings. I would have upgraded to a four tuner box some time ago if OTA was available on those. I suppose I could still do it and move the two tuner box somewhere else, but I'd much rather have a 4 tuner box with OTA, so I am going to stick with the my upgraded HD for now.
wwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |