TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
rmpearl

New Premiere XL4

So just picked up a new XL4 from BBY. I have a couple questions and hopefully someone can help provide me some suggestions.

1. The Premiere I replaced the XL4 with had an old $6.99 plan on it and the CSR told me I can't move it over. I have read a couple comments on here that people had success around this. Any suggestions?

2. Any suggestions on whether the TiVo extended warranty for $39.99 for 3 yrs or the BBY warranty for $69.99 for 4 yrs. Are people's experiences that BBY usually replaces Tivos or do they actually service them. Any positive/negative experiences regarding Tivos warranty?

Thanks for the help!
rmpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
cmshep222

Did you happen to buy with a Visa Signature card? If, so Visa (for FREE) adds a year to any warranty with purchases. Keep that in mind before buying a warranty.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa-si...ty-manager.jsp

"Warranty Manager Service offers Extended Warranty Protection that doubles the time period of the original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible Visa Signature card. "
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
AZrob

I highly recommend the BB warranty. Half of my new Tivos in the last 10 years were free replacements under that warranty. Plus they don't question you when you bring your Tivo in as to whether it qualifies or needs to be replaced - they just give you a new one. Often the old one was no longer being made and I got a better one as a result.

This is why I am not buying my next Tivo from anyone but BB. As soon as they come off the $400 price, I'm pulling the trigger. Tivo's current offer of $350 if you buy directly from them isn't worth it. Plus, you don't have to ship it anywhere when your Tivo is busted - you just bring it into your BB.

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
FiddyownzX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
So just picked up a new XL4 from BBY. I have a couple questions and hopefully someone can help provide me some suggestions.

1. The Premiere I replaced the XL4 with had an old $6.99 plan on it and the CSR told me I can't move it over. I have read a couple comments on here that people had success around this. Any suggestions?

2. Any suggestions on whether the TiVo extended warranty for $39.99 for 3 yrs or the BBY warranty for $69.99 for 4 yrs. Are people's experiences that BBY usually replaces Tivos or do they actually service them. Any positive/negative experiences regarding Tivos warranty?

Thanks for the help!
1.) No, they will probably not transfer the service. They require a new service activation with Series 4 TiVo(s). If they do, it's a rarity.

2.) Get the TiVo Warranty. If you exchange from Best Buy, TiVo Will want to see your documentation for the exchange and transfer of service which involves a fax, and thus more time.
FiddyownzX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
This is why I am not buying my next Tivo from anyone but BB. As soon as they come off the $400 price
Umm, the Premiere 4 is $250.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
bananaman

XL4 is $400.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
I highly recommend the BB warranty. Half of my new Tivos in the last 10 years were free replacements under that warranty. Plus they don't question you when you bring your Tivo in as to whether it qualifies or needs to be replaced - they just give you a new one. Often the old one was no longer being made and I got a better one as a result.

Rob from AZ

BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
dsnotgood

Quote:

This is why I am not buying my next Tivo from anyone but BB. As soon as they come off the $400 price, I'm pulling the trigger. Tivo's current offer of $350 if you buy directly from them isn't worth it. Plus, you don't have to ship it anywhere when your Tivo is busted - you just bring it into your BB.

Rob from AZ
Wow. What a way to scam bb, I know technically its not illegal or wrong but you know you are taking advantage of a loophole. Increasing the cost to best buy to benefit yourself. Not cool.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Rob from AZ
BestBuys new warranty policy is not as generous as the old ones. Of course you can still get a replacement, but they will also try to repair it and also won't give you full purchase value for it any more. This typically applies to many of their extended warranties now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Wow. What a way to scam bb, I know technically its not illegal or wrong but you know you are taking advantage of a loophole. Increasing the cost to best buy to benefit yourself. Not cool.
You should hesitate prior to accusing someone of behaving at least unethically. He didn't say he brought in a functional TiVo and got a new model to replace it. BTW, if he had done what you implied, it probably is illegal since it is fraud.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
zubinh

I think the sole risk with buying from Best Buy is that if lets say you bought a 4 year warranty, activated lifetime service and then it has to be replaced in year 3. By then most likely there wont be XL4s available. Instead you'll get the updated model whatever that is at the time from BB. Problem is, per Tivo's Service Agreement Section 14 (see below) they will NOT transfer the lifetime service. That sucks IMHO.

"Because a Product Lifetime Subscription is linked to a particular TiVo DVR, you may not transfer it to any other TiVo DVR unless all the following conditions apply: (a) the TiVo DVR is being replaced pursuant to the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty; and (b) the TiVo DVR being replaced is of the same make and model as the replacement TiVo DVR; and (c) you provide us with a proof of replacement by the manufacturer or retailer. TiVo reserves the right to charge you a fee to transfer Product Lifetime Service from a TiVo DVR being replaced to a replacement TiVo DVR."
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
celtic pride

A few years ago i had an HD tivo hr 10-250 which i had bought at best buy that i paid $800.00 for,when it went bad 2 years or so later i took it in to best buy for an exchange (i also had the BB warranty) Snice they didnt carry the tivo hd dvr anymore because dirctv had dropped it ,they exchange it for an directv HD 20-100 dvr which cost $199.00 boy did i feel gypped after paying over $800.00 only 2 years earlier!!! At least directv was kind enough to apply the lifetime service dvr service to my new directv dvr! plus the best buy manager felt bad for me and gave me a $100.00 gift card to me because i was a good coustomer.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
danjw1

Quote:

Rob from AZ
How does this work with the service? Have you bought lifetime on any of these? If so, did Tivo let you transfer it?