TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
rlcarr

Guided Setup for FiOS w/o CableCARD in place?

My cableco is currently RCN and my TiVoHD is running with a CableCARD (two S-cards, FWIW).

Tomorrow I am switching to Verizon FiOS for TV and internet.

Should/can I run GuidedSetup to bring in the Verizon lineup even though I won't have the Verizon CableCARD in place? It would be nice to have the lineup all ready so that once the FiOS tech has finished the install and put in the CableCARD I would be good to go, rather than having to spend an hour running Guided Setup before I can record things.

But for some reason I'm under the impression you have to have the new card in place to run GS. Maybe because GS shows you channel previews to help you verify you have the right lineup, and obviously it can't do that w/o a CableCARD in place?

If it can be done, I assume the procedure it to pop out the cards, then run Guided Setup to bring in the new lineup? And at that point the TiVo would obviously be useless for recording, though I could watch anything already recorded?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
WhiskeyTango

When you redo GS there is an option to 'get cablecard later' or something like that.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

It can be done, and it's a good idea to do it to save time during installation. As WT said, just select the "insert cablecard later" option once you get to that step.

If you are still prompted to enter what appears on channel ##, just check your channel lineup online if you must. It'll be fine.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
rlcarr

Thanks. I figure I'd follow up.

The install went fine, though there was the worrisome bit where it took over 30 minutes for the TiVo to see any video after the CableCARD was activated and paired.

(It was weird -- the CableCARD screens and the DVR Diagnostics screen showed the card paired and having received the channel list right away, but it took quite a while before any video showed up.)
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
alansh

Many times the CableCard doesn't have the current firmware and has to do an update and restart when first attached, which can be very very slow.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote