TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #331
allan
I survived the Mayan

Wait! How can anyone not like this show? To me, it's up there with great classics like - Terra Nova!

Seriously, I do like this so far, but I also liked TN, and I do see similarities.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #332
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Not very far into it and I see myself dumping ths one pretty quickly. I just not have the patience I did before with shows like this especially with as easily as they cancel them.
I tend to agree, I wish they would make this type of show as a miniseries, with perhaps no more than one season so that there is a definitive begin and end date.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #333
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Wait! How can anyone not like this show? To me, it's up there with great classics like - Terra Nova!

Seriously, I do like this so far, but I also liked TN, and I do see similarities.
Terra Nova died because it cost way too much per episode? How much does an episode of Revolution cost?

On a side note about the rating of Revolution. It was advertised like crazy the past few months so I would expect the pilot episode to have high ratings. The ratings for tonight will be an indicator if they can keep their audience.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #334
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I tend to agree, I wish they would make this type of show as a miniseries, with perhaps no more than one season so that there is a definitive begin and end date.
Agreed! If they did that, we could be sure of getting a complete story, and maybe more people would give it a chance.

BEEP
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #335
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Terra Nova died because it cost way too much per episode? How much does an episode of Revolution cost?
Good point. I'm sure swords are cheaper than dinosaurs.

Quote:
On a side note about the rating of Revolution. It was advertised like crazy the past few months so I would expect the pilot episode to have high ratings. The ratings for tonight will be an indicator if they can keep their audience.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

BEEP
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #336
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Good point. I'm sure swords are cheaper than dinosaurs.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Yeah. But, the candle budget might be a little high for Revolution.

I am guessing the carbon offsets will add to the costs.

Tim S.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #337
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
The learning curve to go from a hunk of metal to a functional sword (and by functional, I mean, usuable as a sword, not a heavy shaped chunk of metal that makes a decent club) using pre-Industrial methods is very steep relative to other handcrafts.
Don't you mean gentle, not steep?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #338
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I agree that I wish TV networks made miniseries more often. Especially if your story contains a big over the top mystery (The Event, Flash Forward, Alcatraz?) that needs to be answered eventually. With that said not every scripted drama has to be a mini series, but we're getting none at the moment.

Last edited by robojerk : 09-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #339
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
I thought I understand the original statement meaning; but, it is not obvious which is correct gentle or steep to mean it is hard to do.

Most places I worked would say it is a steep learning curve to mean it is hard to learn how to do. But, I am not sure right now if that is correct. I realize I have never seen a real learning curve. I have only heard the saying.

What is on the X and Y axis of learning curve?

Edit: This site implies gentle is correct for hard to learn tasks.

http://www.psywww.com/intropsych/ch0...ing_curve.html

Tim S.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #340
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Any predictions on the ratings for tonight's episode? Last week was a 4.1 with little competition other than MNF in the East and Central. Tonight it will be against the season premieres of Hawaii Five-0 and Castle, as well as MNF.

As a fan of this show, I'll be very pleased if it gets anything above a 3.0, and will still be optimistic if it's above a 2.7. If it falls much more than that, then then I'll start to be a little pessimistic about its long-term chances.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #341
danterner
Not it!

Quote:

I think you're right, but did anyone in Hollywood ever consider Jericho to be a hit?
Only the nuts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #342
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
I have no idea what you are taking about. Things that are easy to learn (scrapbookimng, swing dancing) have a gentle learning curve. Things that are very difficult (Chinese, stringed instruments, reliably launching rockets into space) have a steep learning curve.

One axis is effort and the other is achievement. There is no time axis.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #343
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
I have no idea what you are taking about. Things that are easy to learn (scrapbookimng, swing dancing) have a gentle learning curve. Things that are very difficult (Chinese, stringed instruments, reliably launching rockets into space) have a steep learning curve.

If your independent variable is effort, then high achievement with little effort is a steep curve.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #344
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
If your independent variable is effort, then high achievement with little effort is a steep curve.
Except that doesn't jibe with the traditional saying which equates a steep learning curve to something that's difficult to learn.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #345
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Except that doesn't jibe with the traditional saying which equates a steep learning curve to something that's difficult to learn.
Lots of expressions don't make sense when you think about them.

"Head over heels" comes to mind. Seems to me that's the normal state of affairs.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #346
Craigbob

Quote:
Really? What faires?

I ask because at ours, we have ONE working forge (that produces horseshoes, nails, and the like) and a guy who does glass blowing and trained in Venice. We have leathercrafts and needle felting and spinning and weaving and paper making and period cooking and baking and illumination and drafting and a small amount of woodworking and a jewlery smith who makes pins, brooches, and small coins (this guy gave my 8 yr. old a hacksaw and a chunk of brass for an afternoon but won't let her touch the hand-powered drill because of the risk of injury). We have two booths that SELL swords and daggers, but we have absolutely no one onsite that makes them. Of the two sellers, one makes unfunctional decorative crap and the other has a 3-6 month turnaround time for a dagger.

I've only been to a handful of Renaissance Faires but a handful more historical sites doing recreation. I've seen muskets loaded and fired and I've seen blacksmiths doing decorative wrought iron. I have never, ever, ever seen anyone making a sword.
Here is a picture of my son making a sword at his local Ren Faire a few years ago. He was posted @ Fort Riley Ks.

It took some time but he completed it. I've held it in my hands.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #347
eddyj

I just realized tonight is not being recorded. I forgot that I had to move it to another DVR. And I am finding it hard to care.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #348
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
Here is a picture of my son making a sword at his local Ren Faire a few years ago. He was posted @ Fort Riley Ks.

It took some time but he completed it. I've held it in my hands.

Nice!

Is he also a Buddhist monk?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #349
JETarpon

Quote:
You have it exactly backwards

Quote:
If you get high increases in achievement with little incremental effort, then it has a steep learning curve.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #350
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
They need bat'leth's
I just watched "The Hunger Games" over the weekend, and thought the same thing about one scene where you see a bunch of swords and such on a wall.. Having a batleth there would've been awesome.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #351
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That's only because the term has been co-opted to mean the opposite of its actual meaning.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #352
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I agree that I wish TV networks made miniseries more often.
Off topic for this show, but one thing that was weird was that Missing was shown in the clips of "miniseries" on the Emmys last night. It wasn't always intended as only one year, right? If the ratings had been better, somehow they intended to continue it?

(at least they DID show all of it, though I still have the finale unwatched.. I'm glad they DID show all of it, as well as all of The Firm being shown.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #353
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Off topic for this show, but one thing that was weird was that Missing was shown in the clips of "miniseries" on the Emmys last night. It wasn't always intended as only one year, right? If the ratings had been better, somehow they intended to continue it?

(at least they DID show all of it, though I still have the finale unwatched.. I'm glad they DID show all of it, as well as all of The Firm being shown.)
The rules for what qualifies as a miniseries for the Emmys are completely screwed up, and producers/publicists know how to manipulate the system.

For example: Downton Abbey S1 was in the miniseries category last year, despite the fact that it was an ongoing show. Missing was intended to be an ongoing show, but when it wasn't renewed, the producers submitted it as a miniseries. American Horror Story was renewed and will continue on for a second season, but because they basically ended the S1 storyline and S2 will be a completely new story, it qualified for miniseries as well.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #354
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Awards shows in general make a lot more sense if you realize their purpose isn't to make sense; their purpose is to generate publicity.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #355
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Finally made it through the Pilot episode.

So far so good. A bit cheesy at times, but still pretty entertaining. Set recordings for the next eps.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #356
aaronwt
HD Addict

I enjoyed last nights episode. I thought it was a very good second episode.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #357
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Damn! I was hoping it had sucked, so I would not have to track it down after missing the recording.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #358
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Wrong thread....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #359
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Wrong thread....
Yeah, those kind of untagged spoilers just RUIN the viewing experience. Here I was, just assuming the second episode was going to suck, but then I found out it was a very good episode before I even had a chance to watch it.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #360
eddyj

So where is the "right" thread? Since there is no episode two thread.