Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #2161
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
Did they ask for the Host ID, etc? If not, the cards aren't paired, and they need to be re-paired. Just pushing a refresh won't do anything if things aren't in the system right.
In the back of my mind, I knew that they are idiots who don't know their own system and that I would have to come here, research the issue, and then call back and tell them what to do.

<flame on>
Some kind of stupid optimism made my call them first. Maybe it's because of the hours and hours and hours it took to get this card paired up in the first place 3 years ago.

I'm just tired of having to do this. But I guess I'll do it one more time. I won't be crying when Apple sends Tivo to join RIM and relegates Verizon to a commodity fiber-rental service.
<flame off>

Sincerely appreciate your help. I will call them again tomorrow night and politely instruct them to do what I have learned here needs to be done. Thanks.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #2162
cyberbeach
Mere member

I called them back.

When I got to the part where the computer says, "state your problem", I said, "cable card needs to be re-paired".

To my total amazement, the computer then said, "If your screen is blank or you see a cable card activation screen, say yes". I said yes. Then it asked me if I wanted to re-activate my card!

It prompted for the cablecard id on the tv where I have no problem, so I said "skip it", and then it prompted for the cablecard id on the tv with the problem. I entered the host id and then the data id. Strangely, it asked for both again, and I entered them both again.

It then said that it would reactivate within 30 minutes.

We'll see...

RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #2163
cyberbeach
Mere member

It worked! Got HBO channels back.

The trick for me is to use the automated system - it's much smarter than the human tech support reps, who told me that Series 3 wouldn't work with HBO anymore and I should call Tivo.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #2164
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Here's probably why they would think that: They seem to be incapable (based on my own experience and multiple reports) of pairing single-stream cards in their system (not that it can't be done, just that it doesn't fit into their procedures), AND they have the idea (based on some conversations with techs) that the original Series 3 will only take single-stream cards (as opposed to the truth, that it will take multi-stream cards but only operate them in single-stream mode).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #2165
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post
The trick for me is to use the automated system - it's much smarter than the human tech support reps...
When I've used similar menus with other companies the escalation seemed to work better too. As in, the menus would get to a point where it'd give up and pass you to a rep. Those reps generally seemed better at solving the problem. That's a lot less stressful than the usual hassle of trying to convince the tier 1 rep they don't know WTF they're talking about and to escalate the call...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #2166
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post

I'm just tired of having to do this. But I guess I'll do it one more time. I won't be crying when Apple sends Tivo to join RIM and relegates Verizon to a commodity fiber-rental service.
I dread that day, if it ever comes. Apple's already shown hints of their true colors in many ways; they'll be just as tyrannical, if not more so, than Verizon, and no better for the "advanced" consumer than TiVo or other options. Apple wants 100% control of your device, they'll tell you how you can and can't use it, and they'll limit its features to the 80%.
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #2167
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
I dread that day, if it ever comes. Apple's already shown hints of their true colors in many ways; they'll be just as tyrannical, if not more so, than Verizon, and no better for the "advanced" consumer than TiVo or other options. Apple wants 100% control of your device, they'll tell you how you can and can't use it, and they'll limit its features to the 80%.
Exactly right. Far better to have diversity of choices rather than getting stuck with a single vendor.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #2168
NismoRR

I've got the problem of no HBO/Cinemax channels on my S3 with two S cablecards. Been unsuccessfully dealing with V* for a week. Yesterday they finally decided to replace the two S cards with one M card. Is this the right solution? I've been reading prior posts and it's a bit confusing but it sounds like the S3 might need TWO M cards. Just trying to make sure I'm getting the right info which will fix this issue. Thanks!
NismoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2169
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoRR View Post
I've got the problem of no HBO/Cinemax channels on my S3 with two S cablecards. Been unsuccessfully dealing with V* for a week. Yesterday they finally decided to replace the two S cards with one M card. Is this the right solution? I've been reading prior posts and it's a bit confusing but it sounds like the S3 might need TWO M cards. Just trying to make sure I'm getting the right info which will fix this issue. Thanks!
If yours is an original OLED S3, then (from what I've read here) it will indeed require two M cards. A TiVo HD would require only one M card.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2170
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

If you have a Tivo HD you can use one M card (I have two set up that way). But if you have an actual Series 3 TCD648250B then you need two cards; they can be either S or M type. The other models in the 'series 3' can use either a single M card or two S cards. It's just the TCD648250B that required two physical cards; one for each tuner.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #2171
NismoRR

Thanks for the fast replies. Indeed I have an S3. I also have a Tivo HD with one M card and thought that's all I needed for the S3 as well. Oops. Now I have to deal with another call to V* later. Always eventful and and time consuming. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #2172
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Must Properly Pair the Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoRR View Post
As others have already mentioned, the original OLED S3 units must have two cable cards (of either type). Your problem is simply that the cards are not paired properly.

When I got the original letter from Verizon, I tested channel 131 and had no problem, so I threw the letter away and forgot about it. But when they started the copy protection, I lost HBO & Max on all my cable cards (one S3 with 2 S cards, one HD with an M card and one TV). The fools at Verizon just dismissed my suggestion that they needed to be properly paired - after about four hours or more on the phone with no success, they got approval to send a tech out. He knew there was nothing he could do on site, but spent a couple more hours on the phone with his boss trying to figure out what was wrong. When he finally decided to try and re-pair the cards as I suggested, the problem was solved.

I have seen another post that said someone had great success just using their automated help system to re-pair the cards. Personally, I absolutely refuse to speak to the automated voice response systems for any reason whatsoever - I will happily cancel my subscription before I do that. But if you don't despise them as much as I do, that might be a really good option to try. Good luck.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #2173
NismoRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
When I got the original letter from Verizon, I tested channel 131 and had no problem, so I threw the letter away and forgot about it. But when they started the copy protection, I lost HBO & Max on all my cable cards (one S3 with 2 S cards, one HD with an M card and one TV). The fools at Verizon just dismissed my suggestion that they needed to be properly paired - after about four hours or more on the phone with no success, they got approval to send a tech out. He knew there was nothing he could do on site, but spent a couple more hours on the phone with his boss trying to figure out what was wrong. When he finally decided to try and re-pair the cards as I suggested, the problem was solved.

I have seen another post that said someone had great success just using their automated help system to re-pair the cards. Personally, I absolutely refuse to speak to the automated voice response systems for any reason whatsoever - I will happily cancel my subscription before I do that. But if you don't despise them as much as I do, that might be a really good option to try. Good luck.

Goose, thanks for this. I'll tell ya, I never got any letter from Verizon, at least that I remember. Like you, I'm not a fan of ANY automated system, but I'll say this, the V* customer service people STILL have no idea what they're talking about concerning cablecards. I can't believe how uninformed they are. I think I started Tivo service with FIOS about five years ago, and they were clueless then, at the beginning which 'maybe' could be somewhat understandable at the time. I ordered another M card just now (sounds like I might not even need them) but the first thing the CSR said is that "HBO doesn't work with cablecards." Then I explained what I thought was the issue, telling her "S cards are the problem and that people using M cards have no issue." Like I said I have a Tivo HD with 1 M card with no problems and told her so. She checked some stuff and then agreed with me. Lots of misinformation which helps none of us.

I say all this because I basically have no faith in the tech support at V*. I had spoken a "tech" about this problem, and we was the one that said the S cards are the problem. He tried to DEACTIVATE my S cards with the hope of reactivating them, but was unsuccessful. I assume re-pairing the cards is a different endeavor, and would think the tech would be able to suggest it, as you just did. Obviously, I'm not the only one having this issue.

SO...even though I can't stand automated assistance, I think that voice support is WORSE. That's ridiculous for a customer to think. I may just try the automated route and see what happens. Ch 131 works fine for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2174
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
I lost HBO & Max on all my cable cards (one S3 with 2 S cards, one HD with an M card and one TV). ... When he finally decided to try and re-pair the cards as I suggested, the problem was solved.
So, you're saying you actually have S cards that are successfully paired? Are you sure about that? If so, I think you're the first to report that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2175
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
So, you're saying you actually have S cards that are successfully paired? Are you sure about that? If so, I think you're the first to report that.
Absolutely. I have three different S cards that are successfully paired - two in an S3 and one in a Sony TV. I originally had four S cards (two in the S3, two in the HD). About two years ago I had Verizon replace all of them with M cards, just so I would have more options in the future at the same price. BUT, neither the S3 nor the Sony TV would receive premium channels on unpared M cards, so I had them come back out the next day and put the original S cards back in. That was much easier than trying to wait for them to figure out how to get the new M cards working. I never had a problem with the M card in my HD box (at least not until they started the copy protection!), so I still ended up with the extra card for the TV at no additional cost.

When they started the copy protection a few weeks ago, I lost HBO and Max on all four of the cards - the fix was exactly the same for each of them - just proper pairing.

If you are really interested, you can do some searching on this forum - I reported back then about not being able to get my S3 to work with M cards at all.
Goose

Last edited by V7Goose : 08-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #2176
fmagic

I am trying to activate a new TivoHD with Verizon FIOS CableCard (MCard) and having a lot of trouble... I get to the point on the Conditional Access screen where it shows "Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:? 0x01, but can't get any further with Verizon. They've de-activated and re-activated this CableCARD several times without any progress. We did try swapping the CableCards between systems (I have multiple TiVo's) and they can get the cards working in the other TivoHD's, but not this particular one. I don't see anything further on the conditional access screen on this problem unit, but the other TivoHD's show a lot more lines of information. Any ideas what is going on? TiVo offered to do a 3-way call with Verizon, but my hopes are not high based on past experience getting cards activated with Verizon.
fmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #2177
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
I was ranting - sorry about the comment - I love Tivo - just bit the bullet and bought one XL 4, probably get more soon...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #2178
headless chicken

Anyone have some luck with Verizon only charging for one cable card for their S3? It sucks to have to pay for two when they're for the same device.

If only there were some kind of software update that could make the Series3 capable of dual tuner functionality with only one cable card. <sigh>
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #2179
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Anyone have some luck with Verizon only charging for one cable card for their S3? It sucks to have to pay for two when they're for the same device.

If only there were some kind of software update that could make the Series3 capable of dual tuner functionality with only one cable card. <sigh>
By S3 I take you're referring to the OLD display TiVo with SS cards? Sorry I donít think any software update can change a SS card slot to a MS card slot. Not sure it even possible to hack it and install a MS card slot.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #2180
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
By S3 I take you're referring to the OLD display TiVo with SS cards? Sorry I donít think any software update can change a SS card slot to a MS card slot. Not sure it even possible to hack it and install a MS card slot.
Yes, what other Series3 is there?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #2181
Ilene

Series 3 needs 2 cablecards

Because the S3 needs 2 cards if you want to be able to tune to 2 different cable channels (doesn't matter if they are single or the newer multi stream) Verizon charges you for both because they see it as 2 pieces of equipment. I have rented 2 cards for 6 years (without the ability to actually purchase them).
I have just purchased the Premiere Elite and will be either retiring or using the S3 with one cc and also OTA. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #2182
unitron

Quote:
Yes, what other Series3 is there?
The original S3, the one with the OLED display, is the TCD648250.

The next two Series 3 platform models were the HD (the TCD652160), and the identical looking HD XL (the TCD 658000).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #2183
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

The next two Series 3 platform models were the HD (the TCD652160), and the identical looking HD XL (the TCD 658000).
Thank you, I do have to agree that OLED display was one sweet box too bad TiVo could not carry it over to the other boxes due to cost.

HDTiVo
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2184
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Oh right. Its Series3 to me is synonymous with the beautiful OLED display. I forgot the Tivo HD and HD XL are also technically third generation. IMHO, the original S3 with an upgraded HD is the only way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I have just purchased the Premiere Elite and will be either retiring or using the S3 with one cc and also OTA. Haven't made up my mind yet.
I pulled the trigger on a Premiere Elite when it was $311 a couple of weeks ago at electronics-expo.com. I thought it was a clearance sale to get rid of the Elites but it I actually received the rebranded XL4. I returned the unit after a week because the Premiere XL4 looks and feels like a downgrade from the Series3.

I'm much happier with my upgraded 1TB Series3 with Lifetime. It may not have 4 tuners or be able to record 300 HD hrs (I can always upgrade the drive again), but the interface is much better, there is an LCD clock display that shows you what is recording, the search function is much faster and 30 second skip works.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #2185
aaronwt
HD Addict

The S3 has an LCD display?

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2186
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Apparently headless chicken is a spring chicken and not old enough to remember that before Liquid Crystal Diode time displays there were similar looking Light Emitting Diode displays, which I suspect the Organic Light Emitting Diode array of the S3 has.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #2187
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Typo. You can see I initially refer to the display as OLED.

I love having the time visible too, which was conspicuously absent on the Premiere Elite. Its the only clock in my living room.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #2188
Johncv

Quote:
Typo. You can see I initially refer to the display as OLED.

I love having the time visible too, which was conspicuously absent on the Premiere Elite. Its the only clock in my living room.
You could hang a clock on your wall. I have a nice big one that set itself to the atomic clock.

HDTiVo
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #2189
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You could hang a clock on your wall. I have a nice big one that set itself to the atomic clock.
I've got original artwork on all my walls. I'd rather not have an obtrusive and ugly clock, thank you.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #2190
dgbretz

I have a Series 3 with OLED display with 2 FIOS cablecards. I got the letter referenced above a while back and came here concerned about whether I would lose channels. The general consensus was that I didn't need to worry about it since I didn't have premium channels, especially if I could 'see' channel 131.

I checked channel 131 and it worked fine...still does. No worries at the time...

Today, there is a free HBO/Cinemax weekend so I figured I would Tivo a bunch of movies like I usually do. However, all the HBO/Cinemax movies show me the cablecard screen with a quasi-error message that says:
The Cablecard considers the host to have only one-way RF capability.

I tried re-pairing the cards through automated voice system and that does not appear to have worked.

I have a plain jane free digital adapter on an upstairs TV and I'm getting the free preview up there just fine.

Any suggestions?
dgbretz is offline   Reply With Quote