TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
LoREvanescence

What just happened here

I just experienced a rather strange bug that I can not explain.

I was just watching and recording the X Factor. At 8:59 it asked to change the channel for some random tivo suggestion. I answered right away to stay on current station.

At 9:00 the channel changed to H2 and I was watching Serial Killer Earth. I was like ok, that's kind of odd that it changed channels, but it must be recording it. 1 Red Light is on. I ended up watching this

at 9:12 all the sudden I was back on fox and watching Glee was on.

Confused, I hit live tv thinking the the tuner swapped. But instead of going to HD live tv brought me too CBS and Two and a Half Men Recording. Live TV again brought me back to fox. The buffer on fox had glee back to 9:00, and the buffer on CBS had Two and a Half Men.

So where was Serial Killer Earth coming from? I changed the channel to H2 and there it was, I picked up like 2 minutes later in the same episode.

I only have the 2 Tuner Original Premiere. This makes no since what so ever to me.

Edit: The only thing I can possibly think of was that episode was on earlier in the day and X Factor was recording over what was before it and some glitch happened that caused it to play from a past buffer recording?
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
mattack

Were you possibly REWOUND in one of the life buffers, and that was what Serial Killer Earth is on?

Over the years, people have thought that their Tivo had N+1 tuners (one more than it really had) because of issues like that. Being rewound in the "past" and it still was recording a current show. You can stay in the rewound portion until IIRC you hit the 'end' of the buffer.. I THINK (!!!!) you can even pause it then go back to the menus… but I seem to remember that changed at some point and went away, so I may be wrong. (Yeah, now I'm convincing myself that you can't do that anymore, since going back to the buffer would mean hitting 'live TV' which would be one of the recording shows..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
sharkster

Yesterday must have been weird occurrence day with Tivo. I had a weird one too, but earlier in the day.

I had just finished a recording. Deleted it and, as I had transitioned back to the 'Now Playing' list I hit the 'live tv' button to see what was going on there, all that happened was that everything else disappeared from the screen and the live tv just stayed on that little screen in the upper right corner.

Then, no buttons worked and I was stuck there with a mostly black screen and the little live tv screen in the corner. I had to restart.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Were you possibly REWOUND in one of the life buffers, and that was what Serial Killer Earth is on?

Over the years, people have thought that their Tivo had N+1 tuners (one more than it really had) because of issues like that. Being rewound in the "past" and it still was recording a current show. You can stay in the rewound portion until IIRC you hit the 'end' of the buffer.. I THINK (!!!!) you can even pause it then go back to the menus… but I seem to remember that changed at some point and went away, so I may be wrong. (Yeah, now I'm convincing myself that you can't do that anymore, since going back to the buffer would mean hitting 'live TV' which would be one of the recording shows..)

No, I was watching X Factor Live
And The other Tuner was recording from CBS

like I said it asked to record something random as a suggestion, I said no. Stayed watching it live then at 9 it changed to H2 for 12 minutes while still recording and keeping Fox in the buffer and recording Two And A Half Men.

That's interesting on the +1 tuner thing. wonder if one of the OTA Tuners could somehow pick up something.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
No, I was watching X Factor Live
You mean you were absolutely caught up to (as close to) 'now' as possible? Far right of the buffer?

If so, I can't explain it at all.. it sounds impossible.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You mean you were absolutely caught up to (as close to) 'now' as possible? Far right of the buffer?

If so, I can't explain it at all.. it sounds impossible.

yes I was

The only thing I can explain was, yes that episode was on earlier in the day, and yes a tuner was tuned to that channel.

I am thinking a glitch occurred where after the recording ended instead of playing live tv / the buffer it played recorded buffer from the hard desk that should have been lost But some how picked it up / played it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
dave13077

The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. I was switching from one channel to another and what was on the screen was not what was in the guide or on the info bar. I re tuned the channel and the show that was supposed to be on appeared. It wasn't the the buffer because the show that was incorrect was an infomercial and I was on food network that didn't have any infomercial scheduled.

Edit: This happened on my Elite.

Last edited by dave13077 : 09-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
sbiller

I believe this is a known bug. I can't seem to find the reference on TCF. I expect we will see TiVo fix it in the upcoming fall release.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
mattack

But the originator's situation seemed like the ENTIRE show for all of them was properly recorded..
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nah, I believe this bug simply retains a bit of the live buffer from the last live it was on before a recording instead of clearing it like it should. That's why it cut off at 12 minute, that was all of the phantom buffer it had left. It's not physically possible for a two tuner Premiere to record 3 channels at once.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
LoREvanescence

It's definitely coming from the buffer. I had the bug happen again yesterday.

Yesterday it happened at 3:00pm. Only a minute worth of phantom buffer. However, when it happened this time it disproved that it was what ever was on before the recording. That is because it was the local weather from WJAR and had a time stamp of 9:56am. It also looked like based on the 7 day weather forecast it was recorded Monday morning. It did happen right after a tivo suggestion recording on the science channel.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
It's definitely coming from the buffer. I had the bug happen again yesterday.

Yesterday it happened at 3:00pm. Only a minute worth of phantom buffer. However, when it happened this time it disproved that it was what ever was on before the recording. That is because it was the local weather from WJAR and had a time stamp of 9:56am. It also looked like based on the 7 day weather forecast it was recorded Monday morning. It did happen right after a tivo suggestion recording on the science channel.
OK, I think I had that happen on my Premiere (20.2.1.2-01-2-746) an hour or so ago. I don't believe I've received any update for quite some time, so maybe this problem has been there and I just haven't run into it.

A local PBS station apparently ended its fundraising early. When I changed to that channel I noticed that a show that should have recorded (if it had been in the schedule) had already started, so I manually started recording about 8 minutes into the show (and about 38 minutes into the time slot in the schedule). I watched from the buffer (I think) for the remainder of the show, then tried skipping back to the beginning. Whether I skipped back or rewound, when I hit the beginning of the progress bar, the position indicator jumped to the end, and the video was then from somewhere in the show which preceded the one I was trying to record. If I skipped back again along the progress bar, the correct video would play until I hit the beginning of the progress bar. (I think I did that several times.)

When I backed out of the menu where I had started the recording, a red circle still showed on the screen even though the recording LED had gone out. When I backed out further and went in through the My Shows menu, there was no red circle (of course) and I could play back only the part of the show from the point where I had changed channels (I think) to the point where I had actually started recording. The content that should have been saved (all after that) was missing.

It was a confused mess, so I may have garbled some details, but I think it was similar to the problem this thread is about. Apparently buffer pointers in the index of recordings are sometimes garbled somehow.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
hasservision
TiVo Tinkerer

A few weeks ago my Tivo would regularly finish recording a program, then would switch to another channel, but would still show in Info that I was on the channel of the previously recorded program. I thought maybe it just switched tuners, until I checked the other tuner's info and found it was on a completely different channel.
Weird!!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
LoREvanescence

I am seeing this bug now after each and every recording ends.