TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,238
Hell on Wheels 9/23/12 "The White Spirit"

The opening credits are just starting to roll, and already I say "Well. Didn't see THAT coming."

I guess last week, the Swede was up to more than just being a trickster. More Coyote than Loki, perhaps?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,232
Lily really needs to take some leadership classes or something. She cannot seem to do anything right as leader of the railroad. Although I guess sleeping with whoever is the current alpha male isn't such a bad strategy for her.

The Swede does seem to have a plan of some sort. But I cannot tell what it is, unless it is just to get as many people with the railroad killed as possible, or maybe just stopping the railroad (or both).

Last edited by john4200 : 09-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
caslu
Registered User
 
caslu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Lily really needs to take some leadership classes or something. She cannot seem to do anything right as leader of the railroad. Although I guess sleeping with whoever is the current alpha male isn't such a bad strategy for her.
I liked Lily in season 1, not so much in season 2.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Lily really needs to take some leadership classes or something. She cannot seem to do anything right as leader of the railroad. Although I guess sleeping with whoever is the current alpha male isn't such a bad strategy for her.
I think I see what's happening, but they're not explaining it very clearly. Realistically, in that day nobody was going to take orders from a woman, or trust her to get things done. The only reason anybody was listening to her before was because the wrath of Durant would descend upon them like a ton of bricks mixed with s#!% if they didn't. Now, they don't have that fear. She is now learning that she has absolutely no authority whatsoever in her own right. (I think it's not coincidental that Elam has been learning the same lesson this season.)

I'm not sure where they're going with this...if things continue to fall apart until Durant returns, or if Bohannon takes his place as Ton Of Bricks.

The Swede continues to confound me. I have absolutely no idea whether his association with the Indians is sincere. None whatsoever.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think I see what's happening, but they're not explaining it very clearly. Realistically, in that day nobody was going to take orders from a woman, or trust her to get things done.
Sure, but it does not help that she is so clueless. If she were smart, she would have taken those prejudices into account and still gotten things to go the way she wanted. But even after all the time she has spent around men like Durant and Bohannon, she is still quite naive about the ways of power and the motivations and fears of the men.

Last edited by john4200 : 09-24-2012 at 08:54 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player
 
VegasVic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Craps Table
Posts: 3,040
The Swede is one creepy dude.
__________________
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Sure, but it does not help that she is so clueless. If she were smart, she would have taken those prejudices into account and still gotten things to go the way she wanted. But even after all the time she has spent around men like Durant and Bohannan, she is still quite naive about the ways of power and the motivations and fears of the men.
And I think that's one of the themes of this season...last season, a black man and a woman got second-hand power; this season, they realized just how second-hand it was. They were both naive to think that any of the power they wielded was actually theirs, but they did believe it. I'll be curious to see how they deal with it over the last three episodes ("they" being both the characters and the writers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
The Swede is one creepy dude.
I was amused that Bohannon took one look at his shaved head and figured out that he was in with the Indians. Either Bohannon has spent more time out West than I realized, or he has Magical Powers of Knowledge.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I was amused that Bohannon took one look at his shaved head and figured out that he was in with the Indians. Either Bohannon has spent more time out West than I realized, or he has Magical Powers of Knowledge.
I think it was the rifle comment that did it. The shaved head was just supporting evidence. Also, they did not mention it, but the Swede disappearing at the same time that the Reverend went on his rampage (with Indian support) is also highly suggestive of the Swede's duplicity.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,395
In that day and time those men weren't going to pay any attention to Lily's authority unless she had a 500lb gorilla (Durant or Bohannon) to back her up. Women were second class citizens back then and the only women the Hell On Wheels workers were familiar with were third class citizens - whores.

It's kind of funny how Mr. Toole is a tough guy in one scene and has his tail between his legs the next.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
jeepair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's kind of funny how Mr. Toole is a tough guy in one scene and has his tail between his legs the next.
Typical "bully/tough man" who appears to be tough until someone stands up to them and knocks them down. Then you get the tail between the legs.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,451
I just got a really weird vibe from this entire episode, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't an uncomfortable vibe....just...strange. Mr. Swede had a lot to do with it. Plus the whiskey ripoff seemed odd. I understand what was happening, but the scene at the train was just off I thought. And it seemed to me that the workers reversed themselves awfully quick after protesting about whether they would even get paid with Chief O'Brien on his deathbed...just didn't seem realistic.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,395
What's Lily's stake in the railroad? Maybe it was made clear earlier but I forgot. I know she had her husband's maps but is she getting paid or own stock? Why's she's still sticking around other than to have sex with two polar opposite types of men?
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Martha
Registered User
 
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And it seemed to me that the workers reversed themselves awfully quick after protesting about whether they would even get paid with Chief O'Brien on his deathbed...just didn't seem realistic.
You're right. This scene actually made me laugh.

Men: Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Lily: But...but...fiddle dee dee....what will I do?

Men: GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE!

Bohannon: Y'all get on back to work now.

Men: Okey dokey! Here we go. Yeehaw!
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,238
Well, it makes sense. Standing up to the lil' lady is one thing. But Bohannon? That would take actual guts!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
What's Lily's stake in the railroad? Maybe it was made clear earlier but I forgot. I know she had her husband's maps but is she getting paid or own stock? Why's she's still sticking around other than to have sex with two polar opposite types of men?
She's trying to hook up with Elam to piss her parents off?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
You're right. This scene actually made me laugh.

Men: Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Lily: But...but...fiddle dee dee....what will I do?

Men: GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE!

Bohannon: Y'all get on back to work now.

Men: Okey dokey! Here we go. Yeehaw!
Actually Mr. Poole also "encouraged" them to get back to work...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
She's trying to hook up with Elam to piss her parents off?
Has there been any reference to Lily's parents? If so, I don't recall...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Has there been any reference to Lily's parents? If so, I don't recall...
It wasn't her parents, it was her in-laws (whom we met at Hubby's funeral).
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's kind of funny how Mr. Toole is a tough guy in one scene and has his tail between his legs the next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
Typical "bully/tough man" who appears to be tough until someone stands up to them and knocks them down. Then you get the tail between the legs.
Remember when Toole was shot "dead" by Elam, with the smoke coming out of his mouth, and miraculously survived? When he got back to camp he swore/begged to "Mr. Ferguson" that he was changed man. Then he changed back to a bigot when it suited.

Spoiler:
We see from the previews that Durant's wife is coming back with him to cause a s*storm.

__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |