TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #121
aaronwt
HD Addict

Did anyone find out if there was any issue with the MPEG4 recordings being sent to the Stream from the TiVo? Since some channels are in MPEG4 errr H.264. Depending on your provider.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #122
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Since some channels are in MPEG4 errr H.264
I know that was directed at me. I used MPEG-4 in my post because most mobile devices are capable of playing both MPEG-4 part 2 and MPEG-4 part 10 (aka H.264, aka AVC) MPEG-4 was used as a blanket term to encompass both standards.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #123
daroach74

This question may have been asked (I searched first, honestly!), but I couldn't find an answer. Here's my question - is this able to stream copy protected shows (like those from premium channels)? It sounds like there are two functions here: streaming and offline viewing. I'd assume that you couldn't offline view for the copy protected shows (which, in my view, is short sighted, but that's another issue), but I was wondering if you could nonetheless still stream copy protected shows (like the current premiere to premiere streaming).

Derek
daroach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #124
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroach74 View Post
This question may have been asked (I searched first, honestly!), but I couldn't find an answer. Here's my question - is this able to stream copy protected shows (like those from premium channels)? It sounds like there are two functions here: streaming and offline viewing. I'd assume that you couldn't offline view for the copy protected shows (which, in my view, is short sighted, but that's another issue), but I was wondering if you could nonetheless still stream copy protected shows (like the current premiere to premiere streaming).

Derek
It works just like the Premiere to Premiere. Copy protected content can be streamed but not downloaded or transferred. Copy freely content can be streamed or downloaded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #125
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
As it has already been covered multiple times, iPads don't support Mpeg2 so it has to be transcoded into a format that the iPad supports.

The TiVo's version of the Moxi box is called the Mini and is coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
The TiVo equivalent to moxi mate will the TiVo Mini. The stream is just to stream to iphone or iPad currently. It also supports downloading directly to the ios app if the content is not marked copy protected so you take the content outside of your home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVos record in MPEG-2 and iPads, and most portable devices, can only play MPEG-4 video. The Stream sits in the middle and transcodes.

Dan

Thanks. I didn't see anything about the Mini in any tech news or on the Tivo site, and I hadn't been scanning threads here. I don't see why the Tivo itself can't transcode, with it being a powerful machine, but whatever. The mini might be useful if I didn't already have two Tivos for two TVs.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #126
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I don't see why the Tivo itself can't transcode, with it being a powerful machine, but whatever.
that's the thing, it's NOT a powerful machine. It's barely got enough processing power to run it's own UI let alone transcode video. However the TiVo CEO mentioned that a future version of the TiVo would have this capability built in.

Dan
Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
that's the thing, it's NOT a powerful machine. It's barely got enough processing power to run it's own UI let alone transcode video. However the TiVo CEO mentioned that a future version of the TiVo would have this capability built in.

Dan
Hopefully it will be a six tuner TiVo and hopefully it will also be available for retail purchase.

Of course I'm still hoping Android support comes out sooner rather than later for the Stream as well.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #128
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I hope TiVo thinks ahead next time and uses an 8 core processor.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #129
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The more powerful you make the the TiVo the more energy it needs to draw. Everything is a trade off...

But, I do think a single box with 6 or more tuners and a number of Mini extenders is the way to go.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #130
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
The more powerful you make the the TiVo the more energy it needs to draw. Everything is a trade off...
That depends on how they design it. Modern chips which can go into a low power state when processing power isn't needed and then ramp up as needed. The big issue I would think is heat. From what I've read, the Stream gets quite hot. Put the same functionality inside the TiVo and you may have cooling issues.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #131
SullyND
L: 28-31

Quote:
For the most part, as TiVos have gotten more powerful, they have become more efficient.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #132
Johncv

Quote:
Hopefully it will be a six tuner TiVo and hopefully it will also be available for retail purchase.

Of course I'm still hoping Android support comes out sooner rather than later for the Stream as well.
TiVo will not release a six turner DVR because the tuning adapter cannot support it. I just hate the f**king TA, whenever there is an Emergency Broadcast Alert it f**k up the TiVo.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #133
SullyND
L: 28-31

Most people do not have tuning adapters. Some TAs do support 6 tuners. MSOs, who are becoming more and more a part of TiVos customer base, do not have to worry about TAs. (TiVo has shown a 6 tuner DVR for MSOs).

Can you hang more than one TA off a TiVo?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #134
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

But, I do think a single box with 6 or more tuners and a number of Mini extenders is the way to go.
For cable use it needs to stay at six. Once you exceed six tuners, then you need a second cable card.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #135
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
That depends on how they design it. Modern chips which can go into a low power state when processing power isn't needed and then ramp up as needed. The big issue I would think is heat. From what I've read, the Stream gets quite hot. Put the same functionality inside the TiVo and you may have cooling issues.
I would think you wouldn't have any cooling issues by having it in a larger box with a larger fan and more airflow. The stream is in very small enclosure and has a very small fan. Which is why it would be getting hot. With more space to dissipate the heat and more airflow, cooling should not be an issue.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #136
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I would think you wouldn't have any cooling issues by having it in a larger box with a larger fan and more airflow. The stream is in very small enclosure and has a very small fan. Which is why it would be getting hot. With more space to dissipate the heat and more airflow, cooling should not be an issue.
True, if all you had was the stream hardware in a larger box. I was actually talking about putting an overall more powerful processor in a TiVo box.

The Premiere has a dual core 400MHZ processor. Throw in a 3 GHz quad core or something and see how well the current fan works.

Any way if TiVo used a CPU that supported dynamic frequency scaling, then it could run in low power mode for normal DVR functionality and then step up when transcoding. That way they could have a "green" DVR that also supports real time transcoding.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #137
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is no need to put a 3GHz quad core processor in a TiVo. A modest bump in clock speed and bump down in manufacturing process will pay huge dividends on a device like a TiVo. All the hard stuff, like recording, is done via specialized chips that don't need to be 3GHz to do their job. x86 chips need super high frequencies for better processing because they are mulch-purpose chips designed to do a lot of different things. With specialized chips designed specifically for one task you can be much, much, more efficient.

Dan
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #138
morac
Cat God

I wasn't serious putting a 3 Ghz chip in the TiVo (hence the smiley), it was just an example.