Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Doctor Who "The Power of Three" 9/22/12

I thought this was an "ok" episode but I am ready for the Doctor to move on from the Ponds.

I did find it highly amusing that they popped out in the middle of a party they were hosting "for 7 weeks".

Nice tie-in to Lethbridge-Stewart as well.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Nice tie-in to Lethbridge-Stewart as well.
That character (Kate) has been around, by the way, sort of.

She was featured in a couple of Doctor-Who-without-the-Doctor direct-to-video movies years ago, Downtime and Dæmos Rising. Different actor, too...not exactly a Redgrave back then. In fact, it looks like not only were these movies the peak of her career; they were almost her entire career.

Never seen them. Not entirely sure I want to.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Linnemir

I am both amazed and pleased at the continued mentions of the Brig. It's really touching that he's remembered so often and so well. Bringing his daughter in is a great way to continue his (and Nicholas Courtney's) heritage. Can anyone tell me which ep was the Brig's last appearance? I'd love to watch it again!

As to the Ponds - This is also touching, though in a different way. You have to realize that I loved Rory for a wide variety of reasons and will hate to see him fade (Amy got rather abrasive after a while).

I was rather surprised to see that they are calling next week the mid-season finale. By my count, it will be ep4 of the season? Does that mean we're done til the Christmas special then? And what's this Doctor in the US they're advertising for next week? That makes for a very short season, doesn't it??
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Five episodes now, then the Christmas Special, then eight more next year.

So the season is the same length as usual (actually, an hour longer, since last year's Christmas Special was technically part of this season), just arranged differently.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
danterner
Not it!

I was highly amused watching this episode on my Boxee Box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Don't worry, you have a year or so before it'll turn on you.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
Don't worry, you have a year or so before it'll turn on you.
Depends on how long he's had it!

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
I am both amazed and pleased at the continued mentions of the Brig. It's really touching that he's remembered so often and so well. Bringing his daughter in is a great way to continue his (and Nicholas Courtney's) heritage. Can anyone tell me which ep was the Brig's last appearance? I'd love to watch it again!...
Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart's final appearance in Doctor Who was in TV Short 'Dimensions In Time', his final appearance in a full length episode was in the 1989 story 'Battlefield'. But not Nicholas Courtney's last appearance as the Brig.

His role was reprised in The Sarah Jane Adventures story 'Enemy Of The Bane'.

Doctor Who: Dimensions In Time

Last edited by pteronaut : 09-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

I rather liked this episode although the resolution seemed more than a bit hurried. Two minutes left, let's blow up the bad guy. I also have no idea what the two guys with the cube mouths were doing.

Amy wasn't nearly as annoying this episode as she has been. I won't miss her when she's gone but Rory's dad is frickin' awesome. It's a shame he'll probably have to disappear once the Ponds move on to their post-Doctor life.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

The doctor should kick the Ponds to the curb and grab Rory's dad.
Over all Moffatt's run has been disappointing, this saddens me.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
vertigo235

Meh

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Meh
If that is your reaction to the episode, I agree.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
The doctor should kick the Ponds to the curb and grab Rory's dad.
Over all Moffatt's run has been disappointing, this saddens me.
The River Song story was disappointing?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
If that is your reaction to the episode, I agree.
Yup

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
JohnB1000

I've loved pretty much every minute of this era. Rewatching the Tennant era there was a ton of filler and worse.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'll take Moffat over Russell T. Davies every day of the week.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
The River Song story was disappointing?
no but the rest of it has been, for me anyway.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
robojerk

This episode was blah for me.. The plot involving the quiet invasion (or whatever they called it) was weak.

The other half of the episode's plot involving the Rory & Amy discussing whether or not to travel with the Doctor had good intention, but also fell flat to me.

I preferred Russel T. Davies, but after Torchwood: MD I don't want him back.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I prefer Moffat, but it seems this season he's gotten so obsessed with Amy & Rory leaving the show, he's forgotten it's about, y'know, The Doctor.

Hopefully the Back Eight will pick up, with Amy & Rory's Long Goodbye out of the way.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Idearat

Moffat + next week's episode has me optimistic.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
kimsan
underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I prefer Moffat, but it seems this season he's gotten so obsessed with Amy & Rory leaving the show, he's forgotten it's about, y'know, The Doctor.

Hopefully the Back Eight will pick up, with Amy & Rory's Long Goodbye out of the way.
Maybe the "Long Goodbye" is his series arc this time The soonest we lose Amy the better IMO.

Side thought, I *miss* the oldschool 6 ep (or so) story and find these essentially stand-alone episodes rushed.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Bear in mind, that these stand alone episodes are twice the length of a 1963-89 episode and there were many two episode stories in the latter half of that run.

Last edited by pteronaut : 09-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:

This sums it up for me very nicely.

I love the concept of The Doctor-as-tourguide, sharing the universe with everyman companions who are slackjawed at its wonders and/or enthralled with the adventure of it all. Being with the Doctor should be a grand adventure. For Amy and Rory it's somehow become more of a slog. They shouldn't want to spend time at home between adventures -- that they do, and the emphasis that there is a "Pond Life" apart from the Doctor, seems to strip some of the lustre off of what should be a whirlwind of an experience and it has served to make me eager for the departure of characters I used to love. I'm ready for them to go, so that the Doctor can move on and so the show can once again focus on its true protagonist.

Give me Rory's Dad as a companion any day. Or Wilfred Mott. Or bring back Donna. Give me someone who will appreciate the adventure they are handed. I'm tired of having a companion who is ambivalent at best about spending time away from the mundane.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

This sums it up for me very nicely.

I love the concept of The Doctor-as-tourguide, sharing the universe with everyman companions who are slackjawed at its wonders and/or enthralled with the adventure of it all. Being with the Doctor should be a grand adventure. For Amy and Rory it's somehow become more of a slog. They shouldn't want to spend time at home between adventures -- that they do, and the emphasis that there is a "Pond Life" apart from the Doctor, seems to strip some of the lustre off of what should be a whirlwind of an experience and it has served to make me eager for the departure of characters I used to love. I'm ready for them to go, so that the Doctor can move on and so the show can once again focus on its true protagonist.

Give me Rory's Dad as a companion any day. Or Wilfred Mott. Or bring back Donna. Give me someone who will appreciate the adventure they are handed. I'm tired of having a companion who is ambivalent at best about spending time away from the mundane.
That is part of the point. The doctor's companions were always loners. If they met someone, they left. The Ponds were different. A family. They are the flip side of Peter Pan.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
That is part of the point. The doctor's companions were always loners. If they met someone, they left. The Ponds were different. A family. They are the flip side of Peter Pan.
This, and I think it's been interesting to see this perspective of gradual change. Anything you do often enough --even time travel, apparently -- will eventually become familiar and somewhat routine, regardless of how exciting it may have seemed at the start. It may well not be the most dramatically fun thing to watch, and I agree it's time to move past it, but I like that we've seen this arc with the Ponds.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
It may well not be the most dramatically fun thing to watch, and I agree it's time to move past it, but I like that we've seen this arc with the Ponds.
I agree that it's an interesting approach to take. But again, it feels like Moffat has gotten obsessed with the Ponds and their Long Goodbye, and forgotten to make a Doctor Who show. A lot of the Doctor stuff has really been perfunctory this season.

A better writer (which is to say, Moffat doing the kind of work he usually does) would have worked the Pond Farewell theme into a Doctor Who season, instead of having a Pond season with the Doctor spending a lot of time gazing wistfully at Amy and looking depressed or confused. I really suspect that in some deep corner of Moffat's mind, this show has turned into Pond Life, guest-starring that lovable rascal, the Doctor. I'm well past ready for Pond Life to end and Doctor Who to resume.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
Dawghows

Quote:
I agree that it's an interesting approach to take. .... I'm well past ready for Pond Life to end and Doctor Who to resume.
No argument with anything you've said, and I'm sure your sentiments are shared by most fans. As I say, I'm ready to move on as well. However, as I've mentioned in other threads, my wife and I have watched the entire 2005+ "reboot" since January, so the overall Pond arc doesn't seem nearly as long to us as it must to long term viewers. We haven't spent as much real-world time with them as you have, waiting around for new seasons. That makes a big difference, too.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
JohnB1000

Has anyone heard, or thought about, the theories that this season is not really being shown in timeline order.

One of the podcasts has some evidence that Pond Life occurs after the episodes we are seeing, and for example Asylum occurs, in true timeline, later than the episodes that came after it. It's partly circumstantial, for example the dates in the Power of Three episode and also based on comments made in episodes, for example in ep 2 or 3 The Doctor asks Rory about leaving his watch in Henry The 8th's chamber, which we only saw in this episode.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
robojerk

In A Town Called Mercy, the Doctor tells Rory “…well, that’s what you said when you left your phone charger in Henry the VIII’s en suite!”

Rory, Amy and the Doctor were wearing the same clothes in A Town Called Mercy and The Power of Three (after they leave their party for 7 weeks, when they’re under the bed and we see Rory’s phone charger).
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
JohnB1000

Wearing the same clothes when ? When they got back or when they left ?

So it seems to be meaningful then.