TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #61
riodavid

Series 2 - No audio

Have you seen a problem like this? I think the motherboard is proably at fault.
Guess I can open it up and poke around. What do you think?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=476101
riodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #62
jonathan2340
Leather Fashion

I just want to say that this is a wonderful information that you have posted here. keep it up.
jonathan2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #63
pmags

Similar - but different problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by riodavid View Post
Have you seen a problem like this? I think the motherboard is proably at fault.
Guess I can open it up and poke around. What do you think?
I have a TCD540080 Series 2. It's audio output went bad. When the Tivo is first turned on (from room temperature), the sound out is OK for 10 to 20 seconds. Then it gets all crackly and the noise becomes stronger than the signal.

As a repair, I purchased a TCD540040 which works fine. Figured I'd just swap the hard drives and get 80G (full of desired programs) into the TCD540040 box with the working sound output. The hybrid powers up fine, sound works, can receive TV input, etc. But when I try to access the Now Playing List, I get an error-message screen: Problem Found, "A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention. Until this problem is fixed, you will not be able to record programs or watch recordings. You will need to restart the TiVo DVR now. If you see this message again even after the DVR restarts, please contact TiVo at 877-367-8486 and report error #51."

I did restart and keep getting this message. I did not contact TiVo because (even though I have 3 other TiVos with active service) this box has no service contract and I just swaped HDDs - not something they'll support.

Any suggestions? Is there some setting on the board or in the OS which knows/cares about the HDD size? A nice end state would be the ability to use both the 80G and the 40G drives if that might be possible.
pmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #64
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmags View Post
I have a TCD540080 Series 2. It's audio output went bad. When the Tivo is first turned on (from room temperature), the sound out is OK for 10 to 20 seconds. Then it gets all crackly and the noise becomes stronger than the signal.

As a repair, I purchased a TCD540040 which works fine. Figured I'd just swap the hard drives and get 80G (full of desired programs) into the TCD540040 box with the working sound output. The hybrid powers up fine, sound works, can receive TV input, etc. But when I try to access the Now Playing List, I get an error-message screen: Problem Found, "A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention. Until this problem is fixed, you will not be able to record programs or watch recordings. You will need to restart the TiVo DVR now. If you see this message again even after the DVR restarts, please contact TiVo at 877-367-8486 and report error #51."

I did restart and keep getting this message. I did not contact TiVo because (even though I have 3 other TiVos with active service) this box has no service contract and I just swaped HDDs - not something they'll support.

Any suggestions? Is there some setting on the board or in the OS which knows/cares about the HDD size? A nice end state would be the ability to use both the 80G and the 40G drives if that might be possible.
I think you have two problems. From what I've read, the recordings are encoded with the TSN of the Tivo they came from so just dropping the drive from one into the other won't work. Second, Tivos other than S1s won't record or play back without some sort of sub. The drive size shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #65
pmags

Thanks! As far as the content, I guess I'll transfer it all to a PC or another Series 2/3 temporarily. Regarding the ability to record/playback, the original TCD540080 has been recording and playing back just fine, albeit in manual mode. So I'm surprised you say that.
pmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #66
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I'm looking for an image for a Tivo TCD24004A, any guidance on where I can find one is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
First prove that you're only an idiot and not a spammer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #67
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmags View Post
Thanks! As far as the content, I guess I'll transfer it all to a PC or another Series 2/3 temporarily. Regarding the ability to record/playback, the original TCD540080 has been recording and playing back just fine, albeit in manual mode. So I'm surprised you say that.
If the 540080 has no other problem than the audio, use TiVo Desktop to copy off all of the shows to computer.

What is the subscription status of both the 540080 and the 540040?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #68
big_dodge

Little help please.......

Just replaced my faulty hard drive with a brand new 2TB drive and upon powering up it was stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen and didn't move past that.....I know that usually means that the drive is bad. Did I just get unlucky? I have a tivo series 3 HD. I purchased the hard drive (WD green, just like the 1.5TB one that was in it before) off of ebay, and it has a 3 year warranty. Did I do something wrong upon installing the new drive? It's supposed to be plug-n-play.

Please help.....

FYI: I put my old drive back in and it powered up just fine....the problem with the old drive was freezing and it was causing the unit to randomly restart when it reached certain sectors on the drive....I know this because it would always shut down and restart and the exact same point in some recorded programs.

Thanks in advance for the help
big_dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #69
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dodge View Post
Just replaced my faulty hard drive with a brand new 2TB drive and upon powering up it was stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen and didn't move past that.....I know that usually means that the drive is bad. Did I just get unlucky? I have a tivo series 3 HD. I purchased the hard drive (WD green, just like the 1.5TB one that was in it before) off of ebay, and it has a 3 year warranty. Did I do something wrong upon installing the new drive? It's supposed to be plug-n-play.

Please help.....

FYI: I put my old drive back in and it powered up just fine....the problem with the old drive was freezing and it was causing the unit to randomly restart when it reached certain sectors on the drive....I know this because it would always shut down and restart and the exact same point in some recorded programs.

Thanks in advance for the help
"...upon powering up it was stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen and didn't move past that.....I know that usually means that the drive is bad..."

Actually it usually means that the motherboard isn't communicating with the drive and loading software from it for whatever reason.

It could be because there's nothing wrong with the drive whatsoever, except it wasn't actually put into the TiVo, or it was but either the data cable or the power cable or both are faulty or not connected properly, or it could be that the drive is fine and connected just fine, but doesn't actually have any TiVo software on it.

You need to eliminate those possibilities, as well as run the WD diagnostic software long test on the new drive just in case it's bad out of the box.

You also need to carefully examine the capacitors in the power supply, in case the new drive isn't getting quite as much juice as it needs.

You should also run the WD long test on the predecessor 1.5TB drive to see if it actually has unfixable physical problems or not.

You are talking about the TCD652160 or TCD658000, and not the TCD648250, correct?

Because I'm not sure the 648 can recognize a drive larger than 1.5TB, regardless of whether it uses all of it or not.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #70
big_dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
"...upon powering up it was stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen and didn't move past that.....I know that usually means that the drive is bad..."

Actually it usually means that the motherboard isn't communicating with the drive and loading software from it for whatever reason.

It could be because there's nothing wrong with the drive whatsoever, except it wasn't actually put into the TiVo, or it was but either the data cable or the power cable or both are faulty or not connected properly, or it could be that the drive is fine and connected just fine, but doesn't actually have any TiVo software on it.

You need to eliminate those possibilities, as well as run the WD diagnostic software long test on the new drive just in case it's bad out of the box.

You also need to carefully examine the capacitors in the power supply, in case the new drive isn't getting quite as much juice as it needs.

You should also run the WD long test on the predecessor 1.5TB drive to see if it actually has unfixable physical problems or not.

You are talking about the TCD652160 or TCD658000, and not the TCD648250, correct?

Because I'm not sure the 648 can recognize a drive larger than 1.5TB, regardless of whether it uses all of it or not.

Mine is the 648. I'm kind of a novice, so wouldn't know how to do the tests. I asked the seller if the drive would work with my unit and he said it would....guess he was FOS.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thats why I love this place
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #71
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dodge View Post
Mine is the 648. I'm kind of a novice, so wouldn't know how to do the tests. I asked the seller if the drive would work with my unit and he said it would....guess he was FOS.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thats why I love this place
Was the drive supposed to have the TiVo software already on it?

Is it possible you said you had a Series 3 HD, and he thought you meant that you had the Series 3 that TiVo referred to as the HD (the TCD652160)?

The original S3, which is what you have, is High Definition, and I think the letters HD appear on the box, so thanks to TiVo doing that and then calling the next S3 model the HD, there's been a lot of confusion over which people mean when they say S3 HD.

If he was selling drives already set up with the TiVo software, he should know enough about TiVos to have known about that and specified the TCD number or made you specify it.

I'm not even in the making money off of TiVos business and I know to watch out for that.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #72
big_dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Was the drive supposed to have the TiVo software already on it?

Is it possible you said you had a Series 3 HD, and he thought you meant that you had the Series 3 that TiVo referred to as the HD (the TCD652160)?

The original S3, which is what you have, is High Definition, and I think the letters HD appear on the box, so thanks to TiVo doing that and then calling the next S3 model the HD, there's been a lot of confusion over which people mean when they say S3 HD.

If he was selling drives already set up with the TiVo software, he should know enough about TiVos to have known about that and specified the TCD number or made you specify it.

I'm not even in the making money off of TiVos business and I know to watch out for that.
Yes, it was supposed to have the software already on it. I told him mine was a "series 3 HD"....He didnt ask anything more specific, and i didn't know that there was a difference till you informed me...and, thanks for that
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #73
netcoolery

I have a Series 3 that has me scratching my head...
It worked flawless for years, then suddenly went into a reboot loop. It's the loop where first it does the "powering up" screen, then short blank, then "Almost there" screen for a couple of minutes ... and then reset and back to "powering up".

OK ... so through this excellent site, I learned about the kickstart codes.
I was able to use those to run the S.M.A.R.T. tests ... which took several hours .. and all of them passed. So at least the initial indication would be that the disk is not the issue, right?

I'm guessing that it might be worth trying to swap the power supply. Fortunately, I have a Tivo HD that can be used as a parts source for debugging. Do the older Series 3 and the HD use the same PS?
netcoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #74
jrtroo
User

Those codes only find smart test issues. They are not definitive, so it could still easily be your disk.

Try following the instructions at the top of the thread. They may be old, but are still good.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #75
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcoolery View Post
... Do the older Series 3 and the HD use the same PS?
Sorry, they aren't quite the same.

The original S3 has an output to run the front panel OLED display.

I've only seen the HD supply in person, or at least one of the at least 2 versions of it which seem to exist.

Haven't had my hands or eyeballs on an original S3 power supply yet.

If I had both in front of me I might be able to tell you if the HD supply could be used temporarily for test purposes, or if doing so might let out a lot of the magic smoke.

You can open up that S3 and eyeball the capacitors on the power supply for even the slightest sign of leakage or bulging.

Read the Wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" to see what to look for and why.

If that's the problem, $10 worth of parts and a few minutes with a soldering iron.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #76
Schjay

Video dowload

We used to be able to download videos from amazon video on demand and start watching them in about 15 minutes. for the past 3 monthes or so it has taken 6-8 hours to download. Only thing new is a tuning adapter required by charter cable. Any thoughts as to what is causing the problem?
Schjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #77
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schjay View Post
We used to be able to download videos from amazon video on demand and start watching them in about 15 minutes. for the past 3 monthes or so it has taken 6-8 hours to download. Only thing new is a tuning adapter required by charter cable. Any thoughts as to what is causing the problem?
Did Charter force the tuning adapter on you 3 months or so ago by changing over to Switched Digital Video?

Are they both your cable and internet provider?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #78
Schjay

Correct on both accounts
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #79
unitron

Quote:
Correct on both accounts
Then my guess would be that about the same time as the changeover to SDV they slapped previously non-existing limits on your internet bandwidth.

Whether that means you presently are not getting what you're paying for or whether it means that previously you were getting more than you were paying for, I could not say.

But if they suddenly added a bunch of extra channels, even if they're using SDV to juggle them, well, that extra bandwidth has to come from somewhere, especially if they're also using bandwidth to offer phone service as well.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #80
Schjay

So what if anything can i do to get my download speed back to what it was before.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #81
unitron

Quote:
So what if anything can i do to get my download speed back to what it was before.
Find someone at Charter who actually knows what bandwidth is and see if they've throttled you or not, and if so, have they throttled you beyond what you're paying for.

We still don't know if you were previously getting more than you were paying for, or if you are now getting less than you are paying for, and I don't think anyone other than Charter is going to be able to answer that.

Are you already paying them for the fastest internet package they offer?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #82
Carole

I have three TiVo Boxes two work fine one keeps deleting none scheduled from my to do list
also some say and some disappear
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #83
Kenny4200

thanks...xunil76...i was going to check the drive..and then boot to windows..but that sure saved my ass ....whew
Kenny4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #84
Kenny4200

Yes...i might not be a great fix it all..but i would like to reduce my footprint in the world..and recycle what i can ..and not just buy everything new in the world...if i can fix it and do a little TLC ....and it works again ...then thanks...everyone in this forum for your knowledge...

A little knowledge goes a long way
Kenny4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #85
carnac

Audio problems with a Series 2

I have a Series 2 TiVo that we use as a second DVR in the bedroom. The other TiVo in the house is working fine.

The bedroom Series 2 has a lifetime subscription and has been working fine until a week ago.

The symptoms are:

Crackly sound/ audio static of both live tv (cable) and recorded shows (picture is fine).

I removed the coax going into the TiVo and connected the coax directly to the TV (no TiVo) and the audio was fine.

I replaced the coax (new coax cable) between the TiVo and the TV and still had the audio problem.

Next I rebooted the TiVo - sound from the startup cartoon was fine, but no fix to live TV (still audio static).

I checked older recorded programs, ones up through a week ago were fine, but all the ones in December have the audio static.

I don't see any problems in the status pages of the TiVo.

So, it seems to me like I've narrowed it down to a problem with the audio path from from the coax input to the coax output within the TiVo.

Anyone have suggestions about a fix? I am pretty good at opening things up and doing repairs if I have some direction. Hoping to save my lifetime subscription.

Thanks - Jim
carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #86
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnac View Post
I have a Series 2 TiVo that we use as a second DVR in the bedroom. The other TiVo in the house is working fine.

The bedroom Series 2 has a lifetime subscription and has been working fine until a week ago.

The symptoms are:

Crackly sound/ audio static of both live tv (cable) and recorded shows (picture is fine).

I removed the coax going into the TiVo and connected the coax directly to the TV (no TiVo) and the audio was fine.

I replaced the coax (new coax cable) between the TiVo and the TV and still had the audio problem.

Next I rebooted the TiVo - sound from the startup cartoon was fine, but no fix to live TV (still audio static).

I checked older recorded programs, ones up through a week ago were fine, but all the ones in December have the audio static.

I don't see any problems in the status pages of the TiVo.

So, it seems to me like I've narrowed it down to a problem with the audio path from from the coax input to the coax output within the TiVo.

Anyone have suggestions about a fix? I am pretty good at opening things up and doing repairs if I have some direction. Hoping to save my lifetime subscription.

Thanks - Jim
Take the top off (#10 Torx bit) and eyeball the power supply closely for capacitors showing even the slightest sign of bulging.

Go read the Wikipedia page on "capacitor disease".

I'm not saying that's definitely what's causing your problem, I'm saying S2s and S3s are very likely to have this problem and that it needs to be ruled out before looking for other causes, although you might want to run the manufacturer's long test diagnostic on the hard drive as well.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #87
bigwave123

Smile Series 3 HD Reboot, no channels issue solved.

Hey all,

I'm posting this in case it helps someone else with the same situation.

My Tivo: Series 3 HD TCD648250B

Tivo unit experienced all of the following symptoms:

Symptom1:
Upon power up with Cable Cards installed,
4 LEDs turn on, then off,
single amber LED illuminates, then extinguishes
Unit Reboots.

Symptom2:
Upon power up, without Cable Cards installed,
4 LEDs turn on, then off,
single amber LED illuminates, then extinguishes
Unit Boots
Antenna TV works fine.
You run the setup routine until you get to the cable card installation.
Upon insertion of Cable Card 1, the unit reboots.

Symptom3:
Unit is powered on, appears to be working,
Cable card activation does not work or works intermittently [ I got Cable Card 1 Activated by Comcast, but Cable Card 2 would not take the "Hit". ]
Access Cable Card 2 configuration menu > Conditional Access. Page shows, then exist with error 164-1 (or some such) error code.
Cycled power, device reboots and looses channels on Cable Card 1.

Symptom4:
Power supply clicking and when I was able to get the Tivo to boot without cards, the monitor would freak briefly when i switched between the Tivo Menu and Live TV -- this seemed like an indication of a power supply drop-out.

Ok, now for the solution. There were two problems:

[BTW, Hard drive was not defective. Earlier, I replace my upgraded HD with a clone and also tested the upgraded HD using Western Digital's SMART diagnostic tool - Drive check out fine. It's a free download]

Upon inspection of the power supply, C401 and C402 (both 2200uF/6.3V RLS, O620)were bulging. Testing showed they were defective (confirming the obvious). These caps are located underneath the large heat sink on the power supply board. After replacing the caps, the Tivo will boot consistently, solving Symptoms 1 and 4 above. Other power supply caps appear not bulged.

Next, and here's the interesting bit, I also replaced the cable cards from Comcast (these are Motorola cards) but only got Card 1 to activate and show channels. Finally, while the Comcast service center was still on the line, I traced the cable out of the Tivo to find it was going through my surge protector [which is a fancy, Monster Power unit].

After removing the surge protector and connecting Tivo directly to my cable wall socket, everything started working with no problems. Symptoms 2 and 3 above went away. It appears that some problem with the cable source triggers some failure/protection mode in the board or cable card/main board combo.

So, in summary, there were 2 bad power supply caps and an upstream failed cable surge protector.

In hindsight, it makes sense as the event that caused the Tivo's failure was a couple of blackouts in our house power. This may have toasted the surge circuit in the power conditioner and pushed the lousy original caps over the edge. Moral of that story, when you're troubleshooting, start clean from the wall.
bigwave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #88
unitron

Any problems with the power coming into the TiVo will be dealt with by the AC input side of the power supply.

All of the problems for which the S2 and S3 supplies are famous are caused by faulty, if not outright bogus, capacitors on the DC output side which are supposed to filter high switching frequency ripple out of the 12 Volt and 5 Volt outputs. This means they're partially charged and discharged thousands of times per second, which is stressful, and over time and use they aren't able to stand up to the stress the way they would be able to if they were the quality which they purport to be.

So it's mostly use on the DC output side and not problems on the AC input side that cause the power supplies to go bad.

Anything exposed to the incoming cable signal might be at risk for other problems if there's anything wrong there.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #89
sdavie3
sdavie3

Screen Freezing on Series 3 HD (TCD652160) - Any Suggestions

I have two Series 3 HD (TCD652160) models running on Verizon Fios multi-source M-cards, with upgraded drives (1-TB). Both had been running fine for the past few years, but the older of the two of them (about 4.5 yrs old) recently (over the past month or so) has begun to freeze unpredictably, during live programming and consequently when recording as well - resulting in incomplete recordings.

I have restarted a coupled of time with no success in resolving the problem.

I believe the hard drive is a WD caviar Black, but am not 100% certain on that.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed? Thanks
sdavie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #90
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavie3 View Post
I have two Series 3 HD (TCD652160) models running on Verizon Fios multi-source M-cards, with upgraded drives (1-TB). Both had been running fine for the past few years, but the older of the two of them (about 4.5 yrs old) recently (over the past month or so) has begun to freeze unpredictably, during live programming and consequently when recording as well - resulting in incomplete recordings.

I have restarted a coupled of time with no success in resolving the problem.

I believe the hard drive is a WD caviar Black, but am not 100% certain on that.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed? Thanks
Anytime a Series 2 or Series 3 TiVo misbehaves, eliminate "capacitor plague" in the power supply as a possible source of the problem before troubleshooting further.