TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #4291
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
VideoReDo does not determine commercial breaks by the logo on the video, it determines by the black frames between the video and the breaks. Sometimes they will cut directly to the commercial suddenly without the blank frames and that will not get detected.
My post wasn't clear. My understanding is comskip can use the logo and VRD doesn't. Hence the question which approach gets better results.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #4292
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Most network shows have a logo in the corner during the program but not during the commercial. Surprised there isn't a reliable way to use that.
I never much cared for auto-commercial cutting personally. I'd rather just do it manually since I don't do it very often. But comskip is highly configurable - by editing comskip.ini you can do things such as you suggest to target a network logo as an indicator. But you have to put in place different configs for different channels and/or shows so if you have a wide variety of recordings you are targeting it quickly becomes unwieldy. If you want to play with it, kmttg does allow you to specify comskip.ini file to use and in auto transfers config you can even setup a different comskip.ini for each entry so you could setup different ones for different shows. It all depends how much work you are willing to put in to get it working as well as possible. If it's just occasional use then I say don't bother and just cut manually using VRD without any commercial detection. If you do a lot of shows frequently then it's a different story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #4293
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I never much cared for auto-commercial cutting personally. I'd rather just do it manually since I don't do it very often. But comskip is highly configurable - by editing comskip.ini you can do things such as you suggest to target a network logo as an indicator. But you have to put in place different configs for different channels and/or shows so if you have a wide variety of recordings you are targeting it quickly becomes unwieldy. If you want to play with it, kmttg does allow you to specify comskip.ini file to use and in auto transfers config you can even setup a different comskip.ini for each entry so you could setup different ones for different shows. It all depends how much work you are willing to put in to get it working as well as possible. If it's just occasional use then I say don't bother and just cut manually using VRD without any commercial detection. If you do a lot of shows frequently then it's a different story.
ITA I was thinking of automating the process so I can D/L programs while I'm on vacation. My goal would be to get rid of some, not all, commercials. I have no doubt getting rid of all the commercials is likely to also get rid of some of the program.

I may try it with earlier episodes of programs. See which programs work.

I'll be watching the program when I don't have access to the internet.

This "exercise" may be more trouble then it's worth.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #4294
lrhorer

Quote:
If it's just occasional use then I say don't bother and just cut manually using VRD without any commercial detection.
I definitely agree with the rest of what you say, but definitely not this. No commercial cutting utility is going to be 100% accurate, or indeed anywhere close, but that does not mean automated commercial cutting is not useful. Having a cut file created automatically can save the user a huge amount of time when manually editing the file. Most cuts are at least in the ballpark, and skipping to the proposed cut points can save one easily ten to fifteen minutes of searching per show on average. False positives are easy to detect and eliminate, and it is usually easy to tell when a commercial has been missed because the show content will be more than 43 minutes per hour of recording after one is at the end of the file. I manually edit all programs - even the ones which do not contain commercials, which in my case is the vast majority - but I have kmttg run them all through comskip when they are downloaded.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #4295
lrhorer

Quote:
ITA I was thinking of automating the process so I can D/L programs while I'm on vacation. My goal would be to get rid of some, not all, commercials. I have no doubt getting rid of all the commercials is likely to also get rid of some of the program.
It doesn't quite work that way. While it is true that tweaking the skip parameters can make the commercial cuts more or less accurate, in general it is a case of working well for one channel and poorly for another. Note, too, that accuracy involves not only the rate of false positives and false negatives, but also the accuracy of the cut point. Frequently either comskip or VRD will accurately identify commercials, but will set the cut point where a few seconds of program video are lost or a few seconds of commercial are displayed. You may not care, but I want the cuts to be as accurate as possible.

Quote:
I may try it with earlier episodes of programs. See which programs work.
Both work fairly well in general. One may work much better with one channel than the other, even after tweaking. Some channels are devilishly difficult for both.

Quote:
This "exercise" may be more trouble then it's worth.
That's entirely for you to decide, of course.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #4296
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It doesn't quite work that way. While it is true that tweaking the skip parameters can make the commercial cuts more or less accurate, in general it is a case of working well for one channel and poorly for another. Note, too, that accuracy involves not only the rate of false positives and false negatives, but also the accuracy of the cut point. Frequently either comskip or VRD will accurately identify commercials, but will set the cut point where a few seconds of program video are lost or a few seconds of commercial are displayed. You may not care, but I want the cuts to be as accurate as possible.
I wouldn't expect an automated process would do the cuts as accurately as doing it manually. For my purposes I'm looking for a system which errs in leaving an occasional commercial or even a few seconds of a commercial.

In your experience, is the automated ad scan likely to be consistent among shows on the same network? Among different episodes of the same series?

My goal is to chop enough commercials so I can transfer the program, on the road, to an iPad.

I'd be surprised if an automated system is good enough for my normal processing. Just trying to decide if it's good enough so I can D/L some shows while on vacation. Watch on the plane or other downtime.

Last edited by lew : 09-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #4297
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I definitely agree with the rest of what you say, but definitely not this. No commercial cutting utility is going to be 100% accurate, or indeed anywhere close, but that does not mean automated commercial cutting is not useful. Having a cut file created automatically can save the user a huge amount of time when manually editing the file. Most cuts are at least in the ballpark, and skipping to the proposed cut points can save one easily ten to fifteen minutes of searching per show on average. False positives are easy to detect and eliminate, and it is usually easy to tell when a commercial has been missed because the show content will be more than 43 minutes per hour of recording after one is at the end of the file. I manually edit all programs - even the ones which do not contain commercials, which in my case is the vast majority - but I have kmttg run them all through comskip when they are downloaded.
I agree with what lrhorer is saying, I have kmttg generate the detection file but do not actual have it cut the video. I just use that to jump around in VRD using F5/F6 to verify the cut points. (I use comskip to do the actual detection FWIW). I do think it is a little faster than the manual scrub. I tend to set up downloads and let it run overnight, so the extra 10 mins or so to do the detection doesn't really impact me. This has actually allowed me to VPN into my machine and perform commercial cuts (even with sub-par fps through VPN). If I didn't have the detection file, it wouldn't have really been possible with just a manual scrub.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4298
global_dev

mac osx cc extactor

moved from a windows system to osx last year and got back into setting up kmttg.

i like having the CC extracted and it took a bit to sort out how to compile the binary as the appropriate tools aren't included in the default os x image.

i had to install xcode and check another option in xcode to install the correct tools to compile and then run the script in terminal of the dir as the script wouldn't work from the provided info.

if anyone wants the binary or better directions, let me know...
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #4299
global_dev

OS X CCE further info… i downloaded Xcode and in "Preferences" -> "Downloads" installed "Command Line Tools". in text edit, copy the OS X build command provided by CCE download and run script in the SRC dir in terminal. the binary should be compiled.

here is CCE ver. 0.63

Last edited by global_dev : 09-15-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added zip, upload revised
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #4300
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I just tried to send to my tivo, a video from iTunes, its a .m4v and the blue light comes on and goes off after about a second. Obviously, Tivo does not like iTunes. Do I need to convert it beforehand?

Update: I googled and found that I need to use a DRM Remover but so far, only found 1 and the Aimersoft trial version will convert 1 minute worth of video, (or pay $36 for full version). I rather find a free converter as I already paid for the iTunes video series.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-15-2012 at 11:43 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #4301
lrhorer

Quote:
I wouldn't expect an automated process would do the cuts as accurately as doing it manually. For my purposes I'm looking for a system which errs in leaving an occasional commercial or even a few seconds of a commercial.
Again, the results depend on how the channel does its commercial insertions and how consistently they do them. Depending on the exact nature of the commercial insertions, it might be possible to tweak the cut paramaters to make this usually work as you want, at least for a given series on a given channel, and perhaps for all series on that channel. It is not unusual for similar results to be found on more than one channel, either, but OTOH it is also not unusual to encounter rather different results on different channels.

Quote:
In your experience, is the automated ad scan likely to be consistent among shows on the same network?
I don't have enough experience with this to form a useful opinion. I would not be surprised for it to be the case.

Quote:
Among different episodes of the same series?
It has been my general experience that different episodes of a single series airing at the same time on the same channel are pretty consistent, but by no means perfectly so.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #4302
lpwcomp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyF
Quote:
Just so we're clear, you have all of the settings in the pytivo tab fo kmtth set, including destination TiVo.

Then from the main kmttg page, with only the "push" box checked, you go to the "Files" tab and add a .tivo file, select the entry and do a "Start" and kmttg issues an error message?
You are correct in your statement above. I appreciate your help.
This discussion should be moved to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=kmttg, especially since I don't know why it is behaving as it is.
Addressing a question posed in the Sourceforge pyTivo forum.

You need to download and configure kmttg to use the radian build of ffmpeg. Whether this will cause other problems, I do not know.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #4303
Sam Ray

I downloaded kmttg today. At first it did not work; nothing happened.

When Java 7 was installed it did not remove Java 6. When I execute kmttg using Java 7 javaw explicitly nothing happens. When I execute the exact same thing using Java 6 it works. So I do not know if it is a problem with the way Java is installed, in which case it is not a kmttg problem, or if there is a compatibility problem. So if someone is unable to use kmttg then this might at least help to isolate the problem.

I am using Windows 7. The Java updates were installed from the Java site with no customizations (that I can remember).

The command I am usng to execute kmttg using javaw explicitly is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Software\kmttg\kmttg.jar"

That uses Java 6 and works. If I change jre6 to jre7 (just the 6 to a 7) then nothing happens.

Last edited by Sam Ray : 09-21-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Sam Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #4304
moyekj

Just installed latest JRE 7 on a Win XP machine and was able to run kmttg without issue:
Code:
C:\home\kmttg>java -version
java version "1.7.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
java -jar kmttg.jar
Run java -jar kmttg.jar from command line (using jre7 version and using java instead of javaw) and see what error messages are generated in the console that may provide some clues. i.e. I think in your case:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Software\kmttg\kmttg.jar"

Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #4305
Sam Ray

I got:
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #4306
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ray View Post
I got:
What happens if you just open kmttg.jar by either double-click or right-click then open?
That's how I run KMTTG.jar.

~~~~~

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #4307
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ray View Post
I got:
Sounds like a Java installation issue to me. Can you run any jar file with that Java installation? For example download this very simple hello.jar and try running it instead of kmttg.jar to see what happens. It should just print "Hello World!" to console:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/hello.jar

Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #4308
Sam Ray

Quote:
What happens if you just open kmttg.jar by either double-click or right-click then open?
That's how I run KMTTG.jar.
I am sorry, I was not clear. The simple answer to your question is that nothing happens. I assume because the jar file is associated with version 7 of Java. So that is what prompted me to use Java explicitly. When I open the Jar file in the manner you describe (except I have single-click turned on; if you don't know what that is then ignore it) then the same thing happens (at least symptom-wise) as if I execute explicitly using Java 7; nothing happens.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #4309
Sam Ray

I get the same error if I use java (not javaw) and Java 7 but I get "Hello world!" with Java 6. So it does seem to be a Java problem.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #4310
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Sounds like a Java installation issue to me. Can you run any jar file with that Java installation? For example download this very simple hello.jar and try running it instead of kmttg.jar to see what happens. It should just print "Hello World!" to console:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/hello.jar
Ironically, I ran hello.jar and I have nothing show up (except javaw.exe peeked in the task manager for less than a second), but KMTTG always worked for me.

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #4311
moyekj

Quote:
Ironically, I ran hello.jar and I have nothing show up (except javaw.exe peeked in the task manager for less than a second), but KMTTG always worked for me.
That's expected. You have to run "java -jar hello.jar" in a cmd (console) window to see the output since it just prints a message to stdout and exits, so running from GUI will do as you described.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #4312
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Yeah, that sorta got back burnered plus I had to remove the episodeTitle code as it was causing some problems and I didn't have time to try and fix it. I will try to get back to it next week. Starting tomorrow, I will be AFMK for a week so won't have access to my development machine.
Did you ever get back to this?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #4313
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Did you ever get back to this?
Sorry, no. I failed to take something into account - how big a bite out of my day that the course of treatment I began September 5 would take.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4314
L David Matheny

Quote:
Sorry, no. I failed to take something into account - how big a bite out of my day that the course of treatment I began September 5 would take.
I hope the course of treatment goes well. I'm sure we all do.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #4315
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I hope the course of treatment goes well. I'm sure we all do.
So far, so good. At least I don't glow in the dark. Yet.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #4316
janry

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find what I'm looking for. I have the latest version of kmttg installed. I have a desktop shortcut and kmttg launches fine from it and everything seems to run fine.

I'm trying to schedule kmttg to run in Windows 7's "Task Scheduler" with the "-b" option without services running to do a daily transfer of selected programs. When I try to run the task which launches the same shortcut, I get the following error message: "Could not find the main class: C:\kmttg\kmttg.jar. Program will exit."

Thoughts? Can kmttg be launched from Task Scheduler?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #4317
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find what I'm looking for. I have the latest version of kmttg installed. I have a desktop shortcut and kmttg launches fine from it and everything seems to run fine.

I'm trying to schedule kmttg to run in Windows 7's "Task Scheduler" with the "-b" option without services running to do a daily transfer of selected programs. When I try to run the task which launches the same shortcut, I get the following error message: "Could not find the main class: C:\kmttg\kmttg.jar. Program will exit."

What you really want to do is run the kmttg service. Look under Auto Transfers->Service.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #4318
janry

Quote:
What you really want to do is run the kmttg service. Look under Auto Transfers->Service.
As I understand the service is it transfers at intervals. I want my transfers to always occur at 1:00 AM. Also, I don't believe the service will wake the computer.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #4319
lpwcomp

Quote:
As I understand the service is it transfers at intervals. I want my transfers to always occur at 1:00 AM. Also, I don't believe the service will wake the computer.
OK. Not gonna ask why. I don't know much about Win7 (I'm still running Win2K cause I can't afford to upgrade), but have you got the task set to "Run as administrator"?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #4320
moyekj

Quote:

Just tried and it works. My guess is you are setting kmttg.jar as the Program/script which won't work. You need to set it up as:
Program/script = full path to javaw.exe
Arguments = -jar "full path to kmttg.jar" -b
Example:
Program = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe"
Arguments = -jar "C:\home\kmttg java testing\kmttg.jar" -b

For testing purposes you may want to leave off the -b just to see if kmttg GUI pops up as expected, and one you have that working add the -b back in.