TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
True Colors

File transfers from my Tivo to my PC keep getting cut off

My Tivo is a regular Premiere with a 2TB hard drive in it. I have had this device for a year and a half. For the most part, it has always worked just fine.

I have a few HD recordings that I have tried to transfer from the Tivo onto my PC. Usually I use Tivo Desktop software to do this.

Some of these recorded files will partially transfer over. I will get about 75% of them or so. The output files do play fine, but they are shortened.

In the past, I have switched in Tivo Desktop between "fastest transfer method" and the non fastest method. Occasionally this will do the trick and the transfer will go through properly.

However, this time it is not working. I have even used kmttg in an attempt to make the files go through fully. But it is not working.

I have restarted the tivo in hopes that it would fix the problem. No good.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Thanks!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Check this thread. I believe it's similar to your situation.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=491153

Could be a glitch in the video/audio/data within the file.
If that is the case, the transfer will stop dead in its tracks.
If you have a 2nd Tivo, you can use the transfer from paused point feature to move the last part (past the glitch) of the file to the 2nd Tivo, and then to your PC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-21-2012 at 05:53 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

KMTTG will let you "resume downloads" when checked from the file menu.

Did you check the recording on the Tivo at the point where it was stopped? Pause at that point after you see any glitches. Call up KMTTG, check the "Resume downloads" box in the file menu. If you have VideoReDo, you can join the previously downloaded file with the "Resumed" file.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
KMTTG will let you "resume downloads" when checked from the file menu.

Did you check the recording on the Tivo at the point where it was stopped? Pause at that point after you see any glitches. Call up KMTTG, check the "Resume downloads" box in the file menu. If you have VideoReDo, you can join the previously downloaded file with the "Resumed" file.
Thanks for all of the information.

My issue is, in fact, the same one that steve alluded to.

I did attempt the possible fixes which were recommended in that thread that he linked, but none of those worked for me.

Also, I am having a hard time "resuming" the download. I selected the file in question and I clicked on "resume downloads" but that did not do anything.

What am I missing? How do I get kmttg to begin a transfer from a later point in the video?

TC
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If your paused point changed, you would need to refresh the Tivo playlist in KMTTG for the change to take effect.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

It can take a long time to transfer HD files so a glitch in your network could be popping up. It probably isn't a timeout of the wireless DHCP server but check your router setup to be sure the timeout is long enough. If your Tivo is using DHCP, I strongly suggest that you set it to use a fixed IP address. Also, you might try temporarily hard wiring the Tivo to the router to see if that clears it up.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
unitron

You're putting them on an NTFS partition and not a FAT32 partition, right?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You're putting them on an NTFS partition and not a FAT32 partition, right?
Good thought... I hadn't thought of that being a problem the last couple of years. It's not something you run into that often these days.

To expand on this, if the hard drive you are transferring to is formatted with the FAT32 file system, data transfer is limited to 4 GB and the transfer will stop at that point, resulting in a truncated recording.
For reference, a 1 hour HD recording (OTA) can be about 5-6 GB.
You should be able to see how the hard drive is formatted under Windows disk management.
It is possible to convert a hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS without losing data from the command prompt, but I don't know the exact command off hand.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-25-2012 at 01:23 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It is possible to convert a hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS without losing data from the command prompt, but I don't know the exact command off hand.
CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

C: = your desired drive to convert.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
True Colors

Here is an update, in case anyone else ever has this same problem and stumbles across this thread.

I took some of the videos that were recorded on my tivo which would partially transfer onto my PC using Tivo Desktop but were cutting off on transfer attempts. For example, I would have a 30 minute video which would play all the way through on my Tivo to my TV, but when I used Tivo Desktop to transfer it onto my PC, the file would only be the first 20 minutes of the show.

I played the problem files from my Tivo to the TV at the exact 20 minute mark where the video transfer ended. There is a very noticeable jerk at the 20 minute mark. At that exact point, there is a moment where the video looks pinched, or stuttering, or something abnormal.

Evidently, there is some sort of file corruption which occurred.

To my knowledge, there are two possible fixes to this.

For one, I have gone into the Tivo settings and turned on and off the "fastest transfer method." Occasionally(but not often), this will successfully overcome the problem.

The second method is the one that was suggested by steve and thabto. You can use the application kmttg as a work around solution.

Go into the Tivo and play the video JUST beyond the point where the transfer ended. Pause the Tivo right there.

Then, open up kmttg. Click on the "file" tab and the top left and you will see a drop down menu. There is a box that says "resume transfers." Make sure that this box is checked.

You will see the list of videos which are recorded on your tivo. You want to left click on the video which you wish to transfer so that it will become highlighted. If you look below in the notes, you will see comments about how the "PAUSE POINT is ________ %"

Click on the "start jobs" tab up at the top left.

After the rest of your video is transferred onto the PC, then you can use the video editing software of your choice to merge this new output file with the first video file which was cut off. For me personally, the easiest way to do this is to join the two files by using the software VideoRedo.

On a side note, my Tivo Premiere is hardwired to my PC. This is not absolutely necessary for everyone, I do not think, but it cannot hurt, and in some cases, it probably will help.

TC