TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
jsperu04926

Burning TiVo file to a DVD

Using TiVo Desktop software, I have transferred a video program from the TiVo Box to my computer. To burn the TiVo file to a DVD, I have used Roxio 2012 Creator and ConvertXtoDVD, both with no real success. Is there some other option available to me?
jsperu04926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
True Colors

VideoRedo will convert the .tivo file on your PC into a DVD.

VideoRedo = easiest solution by far.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Agree.

You will need VideoReDo TV Suite. Free 15 day trial if you register for a trial key.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductTVS.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
lpwcomp

If you're on a tight budget, there are free alternatives to VideoReDo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Agree.

You will need VideoReDo TV Suite. Free 15 day trial if you register for a trial key.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductTVS.htm
You would need either VRD TVSuite 3 ($75) or TVSuite 4 (around $96). After you do the free trial registration found in the menu system it is 100% functional for the trial period. I agree this is the best solution, unless you can't afford it. VRD has an excellent forum which I would highly recommend for help and info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm not sure what the best free solution(s) is (are). I used to use DVDStyler and I think it's still around. You probably also need (free) tivoDecode to convert the .tivo to .mpg first (not required if using VRD).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
wml1950

If you plan on burning many DVD's, consider buying a series 2 TiVo with built-in burner. I have used one for several years. In essence, insert blank DVD and select show that you want to burn from now playing list. A one hour show will burn in approximately 15 minutes. A series 2 TiVo with burner were made up until about 6 years ago. However, weak knees still sells them. You can also buy on ebay or Craigslist. Pioneer and Toshiba models include basic service standard. Humax requires a fee.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
True, but how many of them work natively with .tivo files?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
True, but how many of them work natively with .tivo files?
*sigh* Irrelevant, especially since you can configure kmttg to automatically invoke tivodecode, and that step doesn't take much time at all. I'm not saying that VideoReDo might not be a nice thing to have, but in his case, it might be overkill. Not everyone has the luxury of spending an extra $50-$100 for something like this, especially if they don't need all of those capabilities. The OP should be aware of all of his options and make an informed choice.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
*sigh* Irrelevant, especially since you can configure kmttg to automatically invoke tivodecode, and that step doesn't take much time at all. I'm not saying that VideoReDo might not be a nice thing to have, but in his case, it might be overkill. Not everyone has the luxury of spending an extra $50-$100 for something like this, especially if they don't need all of those capabilities.
One can choose to spend their time however one wishes. I choose efficiency. All in one solution.
I agree, if you only burn 3 or 4 DVDs a year, VRD might not be worth the expense. But if you want to save entire seasons of shows while keeping the best PQ, you're going to be burning a lot of DVDs.
It takes 6 dual layer DVDs to hold a 24 episode 1 hour series (actually 42-44 minutes/episode) keeping the best quality.
Use less and you start compromising the quality.

Quote:
The OP should be aware of all of his options and make an informed choice.
And in the OP's case, it sounds like he is doing this for just one video. He tried a couple of solutions that did not work out for him.
VideoReDo (with the free trial) is perfect for this situation. I would be surprised if you were to suggest otherwise.

F*CK CANCER!