TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
JimMatthews

6 day sale on Premier Elite

I'm moving at the end of October and was planning to get a Premiere XL4 at that time (I currently have a S3 and an HD, which I'll be keeping). For the next few days TiVo is running a sale, and pricing the Premiere Elite at $350. They're also throwing in an 802.11g adapter, which I don't need, but I could sell it.

Is there any reason not to buy the Elite (instead of the XL4) a month early and save $50? My understanding is that it's the same hardware, under different names.

Thanks!
JimMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Elite and XL4 are the same thing, they just changed the name. The only issue with buying it early is that since you can't actually use it you wont know if it's broken and the return period is only 30 days. There is a 90 day warranty, but you get a refurb as a replacement and you'll be taking that down to 60 days. Although $50 is a decent savings.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
compnurd

It is the same as the XL4.. it is not a bad deal... There have been some for sale for woot for 300 but it has been awhile.. Could be the best deal till thanksgiving probably
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

You can find the xl4 for $357 on amazon with free shipping.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... No such a great deal after all.

Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
JAaronT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hmmm... No such a great deal after all.

Dan
Well, it does include a wireless adapter...
JAaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
Well, it does include a wireless adapter...
if you can make the money back on the adaptor it is a good deal
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Zaphod

I'm thinking about taking them up on this. I may just have to call Tivo and ask them this, but I'm wondering if anybody knows, or even has an intelligent guess.

I currently have 2 Tivo HD's, one Lifetime (transferred from an old S1 during an old promotion), and the other one in a grandfathered multi-service discount of $6.95/month.

So if I buy the new Tivo Premerie Elite for 4 tuners on one unit, and replace my unit that's under the monthly MSD service, I wonder if they'll let me keep the $6.95 on the new Elite.

And then I'll probably sell the Tivo HD I replace with the Elite (I really have no use for 3 Tivos, I just don't have TVs in any other rooms.)
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Teeps

I ordered a XL4 on Tuesday 18Sept12 for $399.
I asked about a life time sub on my S3; TiVo said sure for $99, so I bought that as well.

So Wednesday evening I see the $350 offer on my TiVo central page.
I call TiVo on Thursday and ask if I can get the difference refunded.
They said: "no problem."
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
So if I buy the new Tivo Premerie Elite for 4 tuners on one unit, and replace my unit that's under the monthly MSD service, I wonder if they'll let me keep the $6.95 on the new Elite.
Probably not, but can't hurt to ask.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
ISo if I buy the new Tivo Premerie Elite for 4 tuners on one unit, and replace my unit that's under the monthly MSD service, I wonder if they'll let me keep the $6.95 on the new Elite.
I have not tried it myself, but from what I've read they will not allow you to transfer a $6.95/mo account to a Premiere. You can only transfer it to a S3 or lower unit.

Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
innocentfreak

Quote:
I have not tried it myself, but from what I've read they will not allow you to transfer a $6.95/mo account to a Premiere. You can only transfer it to a S3 or lower unit.

Dan
I know someone was able to transfer theirs now. She posted in a couple threads about it that she couldn't before but was able to now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I know someone was able to transfer theirs now. She posted in a couple threads about it that she couldn't before but was able to now.
I had confirmation in August as I cancelled my S2's that they could move the $6.95 rate to a Premiere or XL4 as of then, they mentioned the rules having been relaxed.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
moyekj

I tried getting $99 lifetime option for a Premiere that was on a 3 year prepay expiring this month and the lowest they would go (after a lot of haggling) was $199 which I rejected and will just let that unit go off service. Apparently it's pretty easy to get $99 lifetime on Series 3 units but TiVo won't do it for series 4 units even if it means $0 to them instead of $99. I actually was just intending on cancelling future service on the unit but they kept trying to get me to keep service on it one way or another so I figure I'd try for $99 lifetime or nothing since I had nothing to lose anyway. I already have 8 tuners on lifetime so don't need 2 more anyway. The Mini may be an interesting option as an extender for a 4th room if pricing is <= $200 with lifetime.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-21-2012 at 03:28 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Pvgibbs

Kinda thinking about the $69 Premiere as an extra tivo (have HD with lifetime which is working fine) - has anyone had success buying it on tivo.com + 399 MSD lifetime WITH the PLSR discount, resulting in 69 + 299? Seems like PLSR only works if you buy the box elsewhere and activate in on Tivo.com later. Any thoughts?

(current wait time on tivo 877 number is 10 mins+)

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
innocentfreak

No and last I heard PLSR was no longer working even. PLSR only ever worked to give you the MSD and never worked to give you a discount on the discounted rate.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
JimMatthews

I went ahead and ordered the Premiere Elite. I might not have a chance to get it installed within 30 days, depending on when Comcast hooks up the new house, but I've had good luck with the four TiVos I purchased before, so I'm not too worried. I'll try to sell the wireless adapter.

Thanks for the feedback!
JimMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
toy4x4

I sat on hold to try to get as $99 lifetime on my current Series3 and was told I could pay $399. Like I told the guy, I could buy a $69 Preimer and pay $399 for lifetime on it. Now why would I pay $399 for lifetime on a 4 year old Tivo...
toy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote