TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
MileHighHitman

Question TiVo Premiere and Xfinity dc50Xu

Hello TiVo experts. I looked all over the internet and could not find my exact situation so here goes. Currently I have Comcast and the eat all my $$ package. I figured hey, to save money I will get TiVo and be done with it. I learned that there is a bit more to this. I will tell you what I want and will then tell you what I have and hopefully you all can fill in the blanks.

My ideal setup is to have an HDTV antennae for local channels and economy cable for my kids (disney).

I purchased the TiVo premiere box for the dual tuners and antennae capability. What is really confusing me is
  • Will the xfinity dc50xu work with my TiVo box?
  • Will I still need a cable card or mcard?

I really feel that I am close but I cannot get my mind over this hump. any help would be appreciated.
MileHighHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
dsnotgood

What do you mean by
Will the xfinity dc50xu work with my TiVo box?

The TiVo replaces your cable box. Yes you need a cable card from cable company to make it work. Also if you have the cable card, you don't need to use OTA since your channels will come from cable card/ TiVo. Cable card plugs into TiVo.

You also need a subscription.I recommend getting the lifetime so you won't have any monthly fees
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
dsnotgood

In other words...you give Comcast back their cable box, get cable card from them, plug into TiVo, get card activated and enjoy tv
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
MileHighHitman

I appreciate the reply. The dc50xu is not a cable box per se'. It is a DTA.

Wouldn't the DTA receive the signal and just pipe it right to my TiVo when it's plugged in?

Also, I am getting the antennae because the cheap cable package I am getting does not include local channels. I should have specified this before, I apologize.

Last edited by MileHighHitman : 09-20-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighHitman View Post
I appreciate the reply. The dc50xu is not a cable box per se'. It is a DTA.

Wouldn't the DTA receive the signal and just pipe it right to my TiVo when it's plugged in?

Also, I am getting the antennae because the cheap cable package I am getting does not include local channels. I should have specified this before, I apologize.
The tivo does not need a DTA, but might need the Tuning adapter if your area uses switched digital video. the tivo already has the tuner to tune channels that are not digital
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
MileHighHitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
The tivo does not need a DTA, but might need the Tuning adapter if your area uses switched digital video. the tivo already has the tuner to tune channels that are not digital
So I should try it without the DTA and then with the DTA. Assuming one of the options work would I then need a MCard so I can record two channels at once?
(antennae + cable or cable x2 for example)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
So I should try it without the DTA and then with the DTA. Assuming one of the options work would I then need a MCard so I can record two channels at once?
(antennae + cable or cable x2 for example)
If your area still uses analog and that's all you want to watch no cable card needed. You will not need the the DTA at all for cable if you have a S3 or newer TiVo. If you want any channels that are only on digital cable that's where the cable card c
Ones in.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
MileHighHitman

Quote:
If your area still uses analog and that's all you want to watch no cable card needed. You will not need the the DTA at all for cable if you have a S3 or newer TiVo. If you want any channels that are only on digital cable that's where the cable card c
Ones in.
Interesting. I am not sure if the channels are digital only.
I have the TiVo premiere btw.

digital economy channels are
usa
disney
cartoon network
animal planet
history
cnn
a&e
fox news
lifetime
weather channel
food network
amc
E
truetv
comedy central
tvland
bet
cspan 2
h2

as well as the HD versions of those channels.

Limited basic has the local channels plus a handful of others but NO HD channels.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
ajwees41

Quote:
Interesting. I am not sure if the channels are digital only.
I have the TiVo premiere btw.

digital economy channels are
usa
disney
cartoon network
animal planet
history
cnn
a&e
fox news
lifetime
weather channel
food network
amc
E
truetv
comedy central
tvland
bet
cspan 2
h2

as well as the HD versions of those channels.

Limited basic has the local channels plus a handful of others but NO HD channels.
If you have the TiVo already did you try hooking it up and see what you get? I'm pretty sure to get the HD you will need the cable card. Cox Omaha who I have has all those channels on basic still except H2 which is on digital. You would be better off getting the cable card.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
MileHighHitman

Quote:
If you have the TiVo already did you try hooking it up and see what you get? I'm pretty sure to get the HD you will need the cable card. Cox Omaha who I have has all those channels on basic still except H2 which is on digital. You would be better off getting the cable card.
I have not taken the TiVo out of the box. I may just call comcast tomorrow and see what they can offer that I could watch without a cable card.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

If you have a DTA, then you have already been converted to all digital. The DTA is the comcast equivalent to the over the air digital boxes, and even it if did work, it would limit you to a single tuner. It should be ditched, put in a closet, whatever.

You will need a cablecard to record content.

I would try the cablecard and see if the locals are included- I have never heard of a situation where they are not. Perhaps its an unpublished feature.

Anyhow, if they are not, then connect to an antenna for the locals.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
MileHighHitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
If you have a DTA, then you have already been converted to all digital. The DTA is the comcast equivalent to the over the air digital boxes, and even it if did work, it would limit you to a single tuner. It should be ditched, put in a closet, whatever.

You will need a cablecard to record content.

I would try the cablecard and see if the locals are included- I have never heard of a situation where they are not. Perhaps its an unpublished feature.

Anyhow, if they are not, then connect to an antenna for the locals.
Ok, thank you.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
dsnotgood

Quote:
Ok, thank you.
you are way over thinking it. Just get a cable card form cable company and a SDV (if needed in your area, you might not need it) and you will be good to go. No need to bother with OTA if your already paying for cable, its the same channels.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
MileHighHitman

Last question -

I talked to comcast and their cheapest package is $22 for pretty much local channels and a couple others. I don't want to pay for just locals when I can get them for free. My kids will have access to TONS of shows with Netflix and Hulu so my question is..

If I only have an antennae (no cable) plugged into my TiVo premiere, will I still be able to record two shows at once?

Edit: to dsnotgood, I know I am over thinking it. LOL I am trying to save as much money a month as I can and have decided to drop cable all together. Between Hulu, Netflix and downloads I can see everything I would have wanted to see by having cable.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
jrtroo
User

Yes. A tivo will split the single input to each tuner.

That is how every dual tuner tivo works, only one connection is necessary, be it cable or antenna. You can use both, but those are mostly folks who love their HD and understand how their cableco compresses their signal more than over the air.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
MileHighHitman

Thanks everyone for the replies. You have been a big help.