TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Glee "Britney 2.0" (9/20/2012, Spoilers)

I did not love that episode. Of course, that's partially because frankly Brittany irritates the hell out of me, even when they use her a little bit for comedy purposes. When they do a whole episode around her? Nails on chalkboard. (I'd have been more OK with her on this show if they would have just made her a little naive, instead of dumb as a box of rocks.)

Um... really, the Christian character singing "3," a song that is pretty blatantly about a menage a trois? Catchy song, but that whole thing was really awkward.

I think there was just a few too many plot lines flying around this episode... the whole Rachel-Cassandra thing, the Rachel-Brody thing, the Jake plotline, the Jake-Marley thing, and all of that going on along with Brittany's issues... not to mention 8 songs? Too much, waaaaay too much.

Last edited by LoadStar : 09-20-2012 at 11:07 PM.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
MarkofT

I thought it was quite good. The fast pacing didn't let the writers dwell on things and screw it up. I seem to think that early episodes were fast paced as well.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
I thought it was quite good. The fast pacing didn't let the writers dwell on things and screw it up. I seem to think that early episodes were fast paced as well.
I don't think fast paced is the best description for what we saw, because there was no pacing. It was literally about 10 different plot idea that they sort of hinted at between songs. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them actual plots.... they were at best allusions to the remote idea of a hint of a plot.

I think this episode really started to show the problem of combining a cast of thousands with a weak writing staff. The writing staff tries to find reasons for all these characters to be around, so the plots become so compressed that they end up thin as tissue paper.

The other problem is you end up with stuff like the scene with the Puckermans. That should have been a bigger moment... but instead, Noah flies in like he's Superman to save the day, delivers a platitude that instantly changes Jake's mind, and then flies off again. It was the textbook definition of trite. It was a BIMOL ("But it's my only line!") moment, a scene written for no other reason than to give a line and a paycheck to Mark Salling.

Last edited by LoadStar : 09-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Bleh. Really couldn't stand the music in this one.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I have not watched this one yet, but an episode of Britney Spears songs is probably not one that is going to keep me recording next week when it starts going up against both Person of Interest and Parks and Rec (yes, I only am set up to record 2 shows at once).
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

When they showed Kevin McHale doing a PSA for the Trevor Project's "Talke To Me" campaign, I thought Britney's plot was going to a much darker place.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Lori
Social Defective

The stuff where they weren't singing was OK but I really HATED the music.

C-.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I liked when Brittney was going to shave her head ala the other Britney, other than that, I FF through most of this episode. I have a feeling I will be doing that alot this season.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
SNJpage1

I was hoping we were going to see Brittney dance like she did in the other Brittnay Spears show. This was a big let down.
As I said before either spin Rachael off or get rid of that story line. There are already too many story lines back in high school.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I liked it.

Of course, I like Brittany. And Britney. I LOLed at a lot of stuff. Her drawing on the back of the math test had a unicorn in it. And her needing a map to get to the auditorium. And her answers to the history test. And her own special language.

That said, I think they make her a bit too dumb. Just waiting for the writers to make her super smart about something. One little thing. It can be weird and obscure, but it should be somewhat serious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I liked it.

Of course, I like Brittany. And Britney. I LOLed at a lot of stuff. Her drawing on the back of the math test had a unicorn in it. And her needing a map to get to the auditorium. And her answers to the history test. And her own special language.

That said, I think they make her a bit too dumb. Just waiting for the writers to make her super smart about something. One little thing. It can be weird and obscure, but it should be somewhat serious.
They did once - she is an expert in cat diseases. She cleaned up in that category when she was on that academic Olympics team.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
They did once - she is an expert in cat diseases. She cleaned up in that category when she was on that academic Olympics team.
They need to parlay that into her graduating high school.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
MikeCC
TiVotee

Sigh...

I really want to continue liking this show. I love the talent I see and hear. But the show is getting more and more confusing. Count me in the camp of those who think the show has way too many storylines going on at the same time.

Daytime soaps had even more stories going at once, but they didn't try to show them all in the same episode! Do the same three or four for a few weeks, but briefly check in on the other few stories. Then reverse things, and handle the other stories and put the 3 or 4 on the back burner.

Glee is trying to do way too much, and it is short changing the performers... and us.

I'll give it one more ep before deleting the season pass.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Here you go. Apparently the Britney Spears camp isn't too happy about Britney 2.0.

Quote:
Speaking to Access Hollywood's Billy Bush on Friday, Britney's manager said the singer's team was completely unaware "Glee" was going to revisit Britney's troubled times and was "livid" over the episode.
I found the story funny in light of the comment in this thread about how Brittany should have shaved her head.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

They had three different things that were poking fun at Britney.

Shaving her head
attacking a guy with an umbrella
a bizarre performance where she looked really out of it.

But in the end, Brittany got back to where she needed to be. Like Britney.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

They made fun of thins from so many years ago and then gave her praise about making millions on X-Factor which was also a slight cross promo. If I was Britney's camp I consider this a win.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Cainebj

i thought it was 2 years 2 late to be topical.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I wound up deleting this unwatched. I'm done with it. I might have stuck with it if it was not on opposite two other shows I watch
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Marley is a charming character. She seems realistic in this cartoonish bunch.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #20
Martha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I wound up deleting this unwatched. I'm done with it. I might have stuck with it if it was not on opposite two other shows I watch
Ditto. Cancelled the SP.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, MarkofT and I will be the only ones still watching... I liked it. I liked the fast pace, I liked how they sort of wove the songs into the story , and I liked seeing Kurt and Rachel in NYC. I won't argue with some stuff: the Puck appearance was lame, and once I finally understood the lyrics to '3', I was creeped out by dread boy singing it! I really liked the last song and how it applied to many members of the cast.

As weird as they make her dance teacher, she was correct about Rachel: she sucked during that special routine, compared to the others. They were sexy, she was trying to portray it. And she snapped after about 10 seconds of criticism. I think the teacher sees a lot of her younger self in Rachel, and wants to help her succeed. That's a different side of Rachel we haven't seen (little fish in a big pond, as opposed to big fish in little pond in Lima), and I like the story line.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I;m still watching. I'll be in until the bitter end.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Ditto, Jeff. Even at it's worst, at least this show has entertaining music to listen to/watch.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

yup. It's not high brow TV most of the time, but it's usually fun.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Yup. I might multitask while I watch, but I'll watch.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I'm still in, though this ep was nothing special.

I really think that Rachel should be spun off into her own show. The show is too disjointed as it is with just the McKinley stuff.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I really think that Rachel should be spun off into her own show. The show is too disjointed as it is with just the McKinley stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do retool the show as (e.g.) "NYADA" next season. They may be waiting on how well this year's school musical episodes do, both in terms of ratings and iTunes downloads:
Spoiler:
This year, "Gleece" is the word; they're doing Grease

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
JohnB1000

I still enjoy the show also.

There's something different about Marley, she's attractive but perhaps not in your typical TV star sort of way, she reminds me of an every day girl. At times she looks much older and other times much younger.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #29
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I still enjoy the show also.

There's something different about Marley, she's attractive but perhaps not in your typical TV star sort of way, she reminds me of an every day girl. At times she looks much older and other times much younger.
The actress is apparently old enough to have had an extended topless scene in season one of Homeland.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
busyba
The Funcooker

That's her?!

Niiiiice.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote