TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #151
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Mine was glitch free for a day, then went back to ignoring the first keypress.
Same here. I tried the dissassembly trick and it cleared up the behavior. But by the next day it was back to near useless and I gave up and reverted to IR mode.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #152
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy01 View Post
I had exactly the same problem the next day after disassembly/reassembly, what seems to have fixed it is I installed 2 new lithium AA batteries....much better/quicker response to the FF to PLAY button! Maybe the extra power supplied by the lithium AA's does the trick. I am a happy camper now.
I used my remote for almost a full year on the factory supplied AA batteries without any problem at all. I replaced the batteries after that and it worked fine for months more with no problem, then the glitching started.

It is more likely you are seeing what some others have seen, that simply removing the batteries and putting them back in is enough to make it work correctly again... for a while. Perhaps it is the physical jarring. Perhaps it is just the electronics reboot. But I doubt it has anything to do with lithium batteries.

Also, lithium doesn't supply "extra power", it has more life (watt hours). The voltage is the same, or it would damage equipment.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #153
Beryl

Mine is starting to glitch again.

The keyboard does come in handy though so back in the drawer it goes. Maybe it will work OK when I want it to search. Fortunately, the iOS TiVo app works really well so I rarely need it anymore.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #154
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Mine is starting to glitch again.
Ug. Mine just glitched for the first time again, but only once tonight so far.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #155
g-man

FYI - I opened a case with TiVo support online. They had me try several things I'd already tried from this thread. While it would fix it for a few days, glitching would always come back. After going back and forth for about two weeks they advised I needed a replacement. I was asked to contact support by phone. When i did the replacement was already approved.

My slide remote was way out of warranty and only started having the problem with my newest TiVo elite. I was very clear about the fact that it works fine with all other tivos.

Replacement works fantastic - going on about 2 weeks now! It took a few weeks, but I'm very happy with TiVo support.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #156
Beryl

I could be wrong but I'm thinking you got a replacement because you have an Elite.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #157
g-man

Possibly...still might be worth it to try going the route of opening a case online and jumping through their hoops to see what happens. They have the ability to authorize replacements.
Reference case #120628-000543: Subject: "Slide remote delay" if you want to. That may encourage them to do the right thing.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #158
bubu

I've experienced a slightly different issue...if the bluetooth dongle is plugged in the Premiere would reboot, usually while in Netflix. Removing the bluetooth dongle and using IR only...no more reboots.

From my perspective there is clearly a software bug present...
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #159
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
I've experienced a slightly different issue...if the bluetooth dongle is plugged in the Premiere would reboot, usually while in Netflix. Removing the bluetooth dongle and using IR only...no more reboots.

From my perspective there is clearly a software bug present...
The IR receiver in my TiVo HD often stops working, and the unit then ignores remote commands (without even flashing the amber LED). I ordered a Slide remote to circumvent that problem, but it had many dead keys (as reported elsewhere) so I returned it.

Recently I decided to try this: VisonTek Wireless CandyBoard Mini Keyboard with Touchpad. It works fine on my computer, and it even works on the TiVo HD, except that USB keyboards don't implement some keys, notably Play, FF, Rewind, Replay and Skip. Not being able to skip ahead is especially frustrating, but having any control is better than being locked out.

I'm posting here to report that after only moderate usage of the CandyBoard remote, my TiVo HD rebooted. This model is not Bluetooth, and supposedly their Bluetooth model doesn't work with TiVos. It makes me wonder if there is a "memory leak" or other resource management issue in TiVo's legacy code that causes problems when any USB receiver is used. Has anyone experienced a reboot when using a wired USB keyboard?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #160
StfRon

I had given up on my glitches, we've had a slide for several years. The problems started occurring over 1.5 years ago.
Tivo sent me a new slide remote, this worked for 6-8 months. Now the new remote started acting up again.
Into the drawer it goes-
HOWEVER here is the kicker-

TODAY I receive a survey from "Tivo Advisors" the questions were asking directly about slow response on the TiVo slide remote-
StfRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #161
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StfRon View Post
I had given up on my glitches, we've had a slide for several years. The problems started occurring over 1.5 years ago.
Tivo sent me a new slide remote, this worked for 6-8 months. Now the new remote started acting up again.
Into the drawer it goes-
HOWEVER here is the kicker-

TODAY I receive a survey from "Tivo Advisors" the questions were asking directly about slow response on the TiVo slide remote-
I don't think that question was specifically asked (yes, everyone got the survey that is on the "advisor's list"). Although almost the whole survey was about remotes.

I broke down yesterday and ordered a new Slide from Amazon. Now I will know for sure if I can recover days of 'ol or not.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #162
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I broke down yesterday and ordered a new Slide from Amazon.
Glutton for punishment? Does SQ offer a decent warranty on it now?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #163
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Glutton for punishment?
Yep

Quote:
Does SQ offer a decent warranty on it now?
Who is "SQ"?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #164
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Who is "SQ"?
I assume she means Square Trade a popular 3rd party warrenty provider for smartphones, tablets, and other electronics.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 09-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Jonathan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #165
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I assume he means Square Trade a popular 3rd party warrenty provider for smartphones, tablets, and other electronics.
Yep. Should have typed "ST". (I'm a woman. )
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #166
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I broke down yesterday and ordered a new Slide from Amazon. Now I will know for sure if I can recover days of 'ol or not.
Well, the remote FINALLY arrived today. Swapped everything out from the old remote and put in the new remote (except I did reuse the same batteries). Immediately all my problems with glitching and lost or repeated commands went away. I zoomed through menus and watched a whole 30 min program with frequent jumping around to see if I could break it. Nope, still works flawlessly.

So now the questions are: Will it last? How long will it last?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #167
Beryl

Quote:

Swapped everything out from the old remote and put in the new remote (except I did reuse the same batteries).
Don't understand. You mean that you used the new Bluetooth dongle in the TiVo? What else was swapped out?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #168
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Don't understand. You mean that you used the new Bluetooth dongle in the TiVo? What else was swapped out?
New remote, new dongle, but previous batteries. I will report a full night of using it without a single problem. I forgot how nice it is.

On a side note- I took the old Slide and put it on the treadmill in the back bedroom where I have an IR extender and a TV connected to the main TiVo through RF coax (blech). Works fine in IR mode.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #169
audvidman

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
Wondering if my remote or something thats usual for a remote over "bluetooth".

when watching a show i kick FFW, and then see the show and 80% of the time i click play to resume the show and it does not respond, after a few seconds and a couple hundred clicks it finally starts to play..

i re sync'ed it with the dongle, i have the dongle out in the open and easy to read...

i do the same thing with iPad and doesn't ever studder, the same with standard remote and doesn't studder...

is my slide remote messed up, or is their something else going on (does having bluetooth dongle close to wifi router/other electronics mess up the signal reception at all?

i tried the "tivo+thumbs down" to turn off the backlight as some said it has odd effects but the damn remote still lights up when i click buttons (and yes i got the triple blue light to say the backlight has turned off)

not sure whats what, sick of waiting on hold with TiVo.
Tried all the stuff mentioned below and even got Tivo to send out a new one at NO CHARGE and still works only 4/5 times?

Last edited by audvidman : 10-03-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
audvidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #170
spaldingclan

my slide remote doesn't light up...what triggers the backlight?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #171
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
my slide remote doesn't light up...what triggers the backlight?
Touching any key while the ambient light is low.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #172
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
New remote, new dongle, but previous batteries. I will report a full night of using it without a single problem. I forgot how nice it is..
I am *SO* loving having a working Slide remote again!!!! Several days of *PERFECT* operation, not a single lost keypress, delay, stutter, or glitch. I should have just given in and bought another Slide many months ago.

Since the old Slide is also working *PERFECTLY* in IR-only mode in the other room, that means I can now conclude that something broke in the old Slide's bluetooth radio or in the dongle.