TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #601
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
With the news of the xCon update for jailbreakers, I just left my local Best Buy, with a TiVo Stream in hand. I'm excited to give this thing a whirl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #602
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hey if you figure out some way to hack it to extract the recordings to a PC let me know. I might just jailbreak mine just for that.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #603
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hey if you figure out some way to hack it to extract the recordings to a PC let me know. I might just jailbreak mine just for that.

Dan
After poking around the iOS directory, I have found where the video downloads are stored on the iPad.

The TiVo app itself is called "Quicksilver.app" in the internal directory. (I see some references to "Quicksilver-TiVo.") And in its enclosing directory is a "Documents" folder, and in there is a "SavedVideos" folder. I just don't know what to do with what's inside; it's a bunch of .seg files:

I am saving this folder to my Mac now to see what to make of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 09-20-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #604
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
In other news, I am using a great jailbreak tweak called UnrestrictPremium 2, that allows for AirPlay Mirroring to work on apps that otherwise restrict it.

Indeed, it is now working with the TiVo app. (Also works with many others that have the same crippling, like HBO GO, DirecTV, TimeWarnerCable Live TV, etc. Very happy to have this, it opens up doors!)

This tweak lessens my desire for a TiVo Mini, quite frankly, since I now have a TiVo Stream and an iPad, playing back on a bigscreen TV (via AirPlay Mirroring and AppleTV.) No HDMI cable or other tweaks required.

I suspect the remote UI would be a little better with an actual TiVo Mini, and the video would certainly fill the entire screen (whereas AirPlay Mirroring like this, for me, leaves a big black border.) But still, this is free (have we heard yet if TiVo Mini has a monthly fee?) and feels great to be able to bypass the annoying anti-AirPlay-Mirroring measures that these apps have been instituting.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #605
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Fof, I haven't followed the JB scene much recently. Can ios6 be JB on an ipad3?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #606
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
iOS 6, that was just released yesterday? No.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #607
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
After poking around the iOS directory, I have found where the video downloads are stored on the iPad.

The TiVo app itself is called "Quicksilver.app" in the internal directory. (I see some references to "Quicksilver-TiVo.") And in its enclosing directory is a "Documents" folder, and in there is a "SavedVideos" folder. I just don't know what to do with what's inside; it's a bunch of .seg files:

I am saving this folder to my Mac now to see what to make of it.
Interesting. Based on what little I could find poking around the systeminfo screens the Stream uses HLS for streaming. HLS breaks video into small segments so you can randomly access any portion of a video while it's streaming. It would appear TiVo retains the HLS segments in the app folder for local playback. HLS segments are really just TS streams so, provided they aren't encrypted, you should be able to play them in VLC. If they aren't encrypted you should also be able to join them all back into a single file using VideoReDo.

Is there a way to roll back the OS on an iPad? I just got a brand new iPad3 today. However I already upgraded my iPad2 to iOS6 yesterday (didn't expect the 3 until next week) so I have to upgrade the 3 to iOS6 to use my backup. However when I'm done and sure everything is working I'd like to roll the iPad2 back to factory defaults and then JB it. Is that possible?

Dan
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #608
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Is there a way to roll back the OS on an iPad?
When was the last time you ran a back-up on itunes? Also, you can try this trick - see if 5.1.1 is still available.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06...-to-ios-5-1-1/
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #609
ShayL

Quote:
Is there a way to roll back the OS on an iPad? I just got a brand new iPad3 today. However I already upgraded my iPad2 to iOS6 yesterday (didn't expect the 3 until next week) so I have to upgrade the 3 to iOS6 to use my backup. However when I'm done and sure everything is working I'd like to roll the iPad2 back to factory defaults and then JB it. Is that possible?
It looks like it is possible if you have the blobs saved. Here is a blog entry from the dev team: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/3186.../blob-o-riffic
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #610
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
HLS segments are really just TS streams so, provided they aren't encrypted, you should be able to play them in VLC.
I can't seem to play them in VLC. Not sure if that means they're encrypted, or what, but I can't seem to play them on my Mac.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #611
Dan203
Super Moderator

Want to send me one so I can look at it? They look relatively small

Dan
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #612
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sure, PM me your email address.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #613
innocentfreak

It looks like there are various .seg joiners and converters out there. I wonder if it is a combination of unjoined files and VLC not having access to the MAK. I wonder if the app has some type of updated tivodecode built in.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #614
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Fof, I haven't followed the JB scene much recently. Can ios6 be JB on an ipad3?
iOS 6, that was just released yesterday? No.

I should clarify. It is jailbreakable, but only on some models (ie: iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPod touch 5th-gen are not supported), and it's a tethered jailbreak:

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/43...d-touch-a4.htm

Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #615
Dan203
Super Moderator

I looked at them in a hex editor. They don't match any format I've ever seen, so my only guess is that they are encrypted.

From what I understand HLS uses SSL encryption, so that could explain the seemingly random data. I was hoping that maybe TiVo stored the local copies unencrypted or converted to the standard TiVoToGo format, but that doesn't appear to be the case. TTG files are encrypted but only the video and audio streams are encrypted, the container is still a standard TS or PS. These files don't seem to have any discernible pattern to the data which means the entire stream is likely encrypted.

That doesn't bode well for the possibility of side loading capabilities coming to TiVo Desktop. I think our only hope of seeing this on a PC is via a Win8 app that is completely self contained like the iOS app.

Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #616
moyekj

I tried pretty hard a while back to reverse engineer MRS but had very limited success because of SSL encryption. Would be great if someone much more familiar with SSL MITM attacks or the like to continue that work:
MRS Discovery Thread

I keep hoping the so-called yet to be released to public new SDK may have hooks in place for streaming to and from series 4 units but I'm not holding my breath on that (or even that it will be publicly released to anyone but TiVo partners).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #617
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Worked on my iPhone (xCon 37~beta7) with the 2.0.1 TiVo app.
It looks like with today's 2.0.2 release of the TiVo app, xCon is no longer necessary to get the app to run on jailbroken devices. I'm guessing you'd still need it to use the streaming functionality, however.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #618
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
It looks like with today's 2.0.2 release of the TiVo app, xCon is no longer necessary to get the app to run on jailbroken devices. I'm guessing you'd still need it to use the streaming functionality, however.
Wow, that's even MORE great news. I might have to test this out to see what's what.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #619
BigJimOutlaw

I can confirm that... looks like non-Stream owning jailbreakers can use the app normally again. Update your app!
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #620
Tivogre

Oh no... I just tried to start a stream on my iPad, and got the dreaded Serious Problem screen from my Elite!!!

Hopefully a one time thing or a coincidence...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1712853495.jpg (27.5 KB, 57 views)
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #621
Dan203
Super Moderator

I saw that once on my S3 and thought for sure the drive died. But after it did it's ing it came back up and worked perfectly for another couple years.

Dan
Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #622
Tivogre

It's back up this morning. I'm just hoping that the request to stream didn't CAUSE this. The timing was suspect.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #623
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Thumbs down TiVo account setup today in the hands of the Soup Nazi...

The disconcerting poll data on reliability notwithstanding, I decided to give it a try.

Got the last Stream at the local B&M Best Buy. Got it home, attached it to the network, found it in the TiVo iPad app and went through the update cycle.

After five or so reboots, I'm stuck on activation, because TiVo's website has the relevant account maintenance page offline...until tomorrow. I'm waiting now in chat and, for some reason, moving backward in the queue.

After about ten minutes, I got through to [TiVo RightNow CSR], who tells me that the requisite system is offline and helpfully suggests that I wait until tomorrow to set up the Stream. ("No activation for you! Come back one day!") This is an excellent idea, except that the reason I went out today was (1) to install the Stream on the weekend when I actually have some free time, and (2) so I can sideload some stuff for the trip that I'm going to take tomorrow.

The fun thing is, I'm afraid to kill the TiVo app on my iPad due to the anecdotes here about how brittle the initial setup process is.

Oh, goody. TiVo sent me a survey request. Five points for [TiVo RightNow CSR] and one point and a "Not Likely to Recommend" for the overall experience.

This is just a stop-dead issue for a new Stream, right? If some poor schmuck talked his parents into getting a TiVo Premiere, he's not sitting there with an M-card trying to explain that his folks really don't want to go back to the &*@Q!%# Time Warner box, is he?
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #624
innocentfreak

Hmm I wonder if they are changing pricing again or something. It is odd for them to take down the activation page.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #625
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Hmm I wonder if they are changing pricing again or something. It is odd for them to take down the activation page.
Did you see the sticky?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #626
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Did you see the sticky?
Yes I did.

Last time they changed pricing they had the issue where people were able to buy the $99 TiVos and activate them with the old pricing.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #627
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Yes I did.

Last time they changed pricing they had the issue where people were able to buy the $99 TiVos and activate them with the old pricing.
Ya that was a great deal for some of us . I ended up with a new premiere with lifetime service for $300 (+ sales tax).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #628
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Following up: Once I got the Stream set up and got the hang of transfers (plug the iPad into a charger, start the transfer, leave the process in the foreground and walk away), the Stream is doing more or less exactly what I bought it for. Low user-interaction sideloading of a few hours of stuff to watch on an airplane with excellent quality.

For me, at least, this is now an easy-to-use device that makes my TiVos more useful. Definitely worth the $130.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #629
ducker

Anyone turn off their stream when they aren't using it? It's been well documented that it runs on he hot side, and I've also seen network activity to the Stream even when I'm not utilizing it. This got me thinking, perhaps when I'm at work or away for an extended time, I could just unplug it, save on the power - and potentially extend the Stream's life (if it is heat that is causing some of these to fail)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #630
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

My only real complaint with this device is that the volume is a bit low on the ipad. Would love it if Tivo applied some volume boost during the decode.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote