TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
VegasVic
Craps Player

Obama, Romney, Biden, Ryan. Boring, boring, boring, boring. The next two months will not be anything like the fall of 2008. Pretty good episode though.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I had just seen the Gungnam Style video for the first time on Friday so I immediately knew what they were going for when Bobby came out. Originally I thought it was a cheesy move to take advantage of the popularity of the video, and it kind of was, but having Psy on it made it more legit. Plus Taran was a dead ringer for the guy in the yellow suit.
I was watching this recorded yesterday afternoon and my daughter (12 yrs.) happened to walk through the room during this skit....right about the time the guy in the cowboy hat came onscreen. She stops and watches for a minute and asks me "What in the world ARE you watching?"

I had not seen the Gangnam Style video until today, but now I've finally realized where all those .gifs I've seen people posting have come from.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
You mean: if your writers room is filled with liberals, then you're going to get skits biased towards Obama...
No.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I'm looking forward to the Thursday night specials-those were so good last election season.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
VegasVic
Craps Player

They had a lot more material to work with in 2008
Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I don't know who Seth MacFarlane is but he looks like Christopher Knight (of Peter Brady fame).
I have always said that!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #37
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
I don't know who Seth MacFarlane is but he looks like Christopher Knight (of Peter Brady fame).
I've always thought this! I even googled Christopher Knight the other day to show my husband.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #38
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'll give Pharoh a few more episodes to hone his Obama. I think everyone was used to Fred Armisen, as was I.. but towards the end of the sketch, I could see Jay getting better at it. Give him a few more episodes.. I'm sure he'll be in every episode this season.
It's not like this was Jay's first time doing an Obama impression. It's been part of Pharaoh's act since before he was hired on SNL, and people have been complaining ever since then that it made no sense to have Armisen continuing to do his flat, lifeless Obama when you've got an actual black guy sitting backstage that can do it much better.

I thought it was funny to have Armisen introduce Pharaoh at the beginning of the sketch and he made a little joke about "who would want that job?"

For those complaining that the mannerisms weren't exactly right, or the "umms" and "ahhhs" were exagerrated, that's what impressions are all about. Any good impressionnist isn't trying to do an exact copy of the original. They take some small mannerisms or speech patterns and then play those up, because it makes the impression more recognizable and more comedic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
His performance of "Make Em Laugh" is one of my most favorite monologues.
Agreed. That's probably my favorite SNL monologue of all time.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Ever heard of the FOX animated comedy, "Family Guy?" Or the FOX animated comedy, "American Dad?" Or the FOX animated comedy "The Cleveland Show?" Seth MacFarlane is the creator of each of these shows, and he does many of the voices as well.

And this summer he wrote, directed, and co-starred in a movie called "Ted" which was a huge success.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #40
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Ever heard of the FOX animated comedy, "Family Guy?" Or the FOX animated comedy, "American Dad?" Or the FOX animated comedy "The Cleveland Show?" Seth MacFarlane is the creator of each of these shows, and he does many of the voices as well.

And this summer he wrote, directed, and co-starred in a movie called "Ted" which was a huge success.
And if you watched the monologue, the voices he did were the voices of Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, and Quagmire from "Family Guy." (MacFarlane also voices Brian on the same show, but uses his normal speaking voice for that role.)
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
And if you watched the monologue, the voices he did were the voices of Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, and Quagmire from "Family Guy." (MacFarlane also voices Brian on the same show, but uses his normal speaking voice for that role.)
He did Brian for a second, and also did Roger from "American Dad" briefly as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #42
mattack

Didn't know that Ryan Lochte was supposed to be stupid, then I saw in some other article today people making fun of him.. (i.e. not a SNL related article)

The stutter sketch was somewhat funny.. and so was one of the ones late in the show.. From the list, I'm not sure which one. maybe "I'm like..". Basically, it totally went against the *general* "sketches near the end are on the worse end of the scale".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #43
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I hadn't heard of this video until Thursday when someone showed it to me at work. Then I heard the song on the radio on Friday, it was Amazon's MP3 deal-of-the-day on Friday, and then this sketch on SNL. Crazy!
Which means his 15 minutes was up 20 minutes ago. I'll bet he disappears fast.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #44
Sparty99

I really thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time, and I'm amazed we've made it 40 posts and no one has mentioned the puppet skit. It seems I'm in the minority since no one's mentioned it, but that was a bona fide legendary skit.

The little dig during the other wise stupid, "I'm all like..." skit was funny too: "And I'm all like 'Giggity Goo'." "Yeah, don't do Family Guy, we're 30."

Just a few of my favorite highlights. An absolutely great episode. Seth MacFarlane should be added to the Justin Timberlake tier of making a few spot appearances a year.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #45
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
He's also filthy rich. The Fox shows bring him multi-$Millions each year. He got a huge multi-year deal.

Seth McFarlane also made a not-totally-vanity CD singing standards.

He's a not bad singer. He's not a great singer.

Was that song with the voices written for the show or maybe something he's done before?

There is NO WAY that Stewie is Rex Harrison.
UVerse and OTA

Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #46
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Didn't know that Ryan Lochte was supposed to be stupid, then I saw in some other article today people making fun of him.. (i.e. not a SNL related article)

The stutter sketch was somewhat funny.. and so was one of the ones late in the show.. From the list, I'm not sure which one. maybe "I'm like..". Basically, it totally went against the *general* "sketches near the end are on the worse end of the scale".
I have never seen Ryan Lochte talk, but my wife said he comes across stupid.

I liked the stutter skit, especially when the drill sergeant said repeat after me and then stuttered, so all the soldiers yelled what he said complete WITH the stutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
The little dig during the other wise stupid, "I'm all like..." skit was funny too: "And I'm all like 'Giggity Goo'." "Yeah, don't do Family Guy, we're 30."

Just a few of my favorite highlights. An absolutely great episode. Seth MacFarlane should be added to the Justin Timberlake tier of making a few spot appearances a year.
I liked the "I'm all like" skit, but it's because I like the girl in that skit. She's pretty cute!

And I agree about Seth and Justin showing up from time to time. They are always funny!

I saw Seth on a Comedy Central roast and enjoyed him, even though I don;t watch any of his animated shows. The other comedians were making fun of him saying he can't do anything until The Simpsons does it first! One of them said "Seth, The Simpsons called and they want their everything back!"

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #47
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

Quote:
Thanks! I don't watch those shows, but have heard of them.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #48
jneugeba

I didn't think it was all that great - I was expecting a lot more. The Ryan Locket bit was the best. And yes he is that dumb. He always say "me and him" "me and Michael", etc when starting sentences. It drives me crazy but they didn't use it once in the bit which was a shame.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Mumford and Sons so I'm super excited for this week.
jneugeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #49
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Which means his 15 minutes was up 20 minutes ago. I'll bet he disappears fast.
Somehow I doubt that.

Romney RNC Entrance - The Tonight Show With Jay Leno
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #50
nyny523
Oy

The Lochte bit was the funniest.

Best line... "it feels weird being dry."

I lost it!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #51
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
I didn't think it was all that great - I was expecting a lot more. The Ryan Locket bit was the best. And yes he is that dumb. He always say "me and him" "me and Michael", etc when starting sentences. It drives me crazy but they didn't use it once in the bit which was a shame.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Mumford and Sons so I'm super excited for this week.
..you and my friend Maureen-she is Mumford & Sons' #1 fan!

OMG-yes, poor Ryan, he is not that bright...I saw an interview where he talked about guest starring on "90210" and they asked him what was the hardest part of it all-and he said something like "moving around and saying lines and not tripping and falling" - funny, in a sad, tragic way....

And yes, the puppet sketch was hee-larious, especially when "Anthony's" puppet, "Tony," was smoking...OMG, so funny.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #52
Michael S

I thought it was a great episode. The only drawback was Frank Ocean and supposedly John Meyer was their too. Also did they purposely join the Wooden Spoon warehouse in the middle of the sketch or did my local station wanted to cram a bunch of commercials in to the commercial break? I went to the web site and of course it redirected me to snl's web site.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #53
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
I thought it was a great episode. The only drawback was Frank Ocean and supposedly John Meyer was their too. Also did they purposely join the Wooden Spoon warehouse in the middle of the sketch or did my local station wanted to cram a bunch of commercials in to the commercial break? I went to the web site and of course it redirected me to snl's web site.
The bit was only about 45 seconds long. Just spelling out the URL (snake, ....)
UVerse and OTA

Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #54
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
...double valley, double valley, double valley....
the river what took my son....
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #55
TonyD79

Quote:
Pretty much the right length of an SNL bit.

It worked very well.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #56
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The season opener knocked it out of the park. Seth was a great host. Normally there's a few good skits and a few bad ones. I can't think of a single skit that was bad (some were a little weak, but not bad). You know it's a great episode when the weakest thing is Weekend Update.
Wow. I had heard that it was a great SNL. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed. I sat there through the first hour asking myself why am I watching this S***. I kept hanging on hoping. I thought the Eastwood Chair commercial was pretty good. I also thought that the skits at the end were better than the ones at the beginning which is unusual for a late night TV show. Usually its fire with your best stuff first and it's downhill from there.

Of course there have been things that I thought were hysterical that others didn't think were the least bit funny so I guess it is just a taste thing.

Just really disappointed.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #57
Donbadabon
Geocacher

And for those that don't know, on Sept 11, 2001 Seth was supposed to be on Flight 11 from Boston to L.A. - the one that hit the north tower.

He got drunk the night before, and showed up at the airport too late to catch the flight.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #58
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
And for those that don't know, on Sept 11, 2001 Seth was supposed to be on Flight 11 from Boston to L.A. - the one that hit the north tower.

He got drunk the night before, and showed up at the airport too late to catch the flight.
I did NOT know that! Wow.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #59
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

I think in addition to him being drunk, the driver that was supposed to pick him up was late. Supposedly Seth is notoriously late for everything, so he didn't think much of it and it wasn't a big deal to him at the time, until they actually found out what happened.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #60
BradJW

I didn't know about the 9/11 info, and looked it up. Apparently, he also was told the flight left at 8:15, instead of 7:45. He got to the airport 10 minutes after the gates closed so it was too late to board.
BradJW is online now   Reply With Quote