TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Nutcase

Question Question about mixing MoCA and Cat6

We're moving to Comcast from DirecTV and picking up four TiVos in the process. Should the following scenario work to get all the TiVos talking to one another and the outside world?

Premiere #1 (2 tuner): connected to network via switch #1
Premiere #2 (2 tuner): connected to network via MoCA adapter #1
Premiere 4XL: connected via coax only (using inbuilt MoCA adapter)
Premiere 4: connected to MoCA adapter #2
MoCA adapter #2 connects to switch #2
Premiere 4 connects to switch #2

(switch #1 and switch #2 are each connected to switch #3 which is connected to the DSL modem; unfortunately switch #1 is 100mbps)

Do I need MoCA adapter #2? or can I just plug the Premiere 4 into switch #2 and the coax line and have it shuffle data between the MoCA and Cat6 sides?

I think the coax cabling will go like this (reusing RG6 currently in use for DirecTV):
Cable drop --> MoCA POE filter --> 3-output 2GHz splitter (outputs A, B, C)
A --> MoCA adapter #1 --> Premiere #2
B --> MoCA adapter #2 --> Premiere 4 (or leave out MoCA adapter #2?)
C --> 2-output 2GHz splitter (outputs C1 and C2)
C1 --> Premiere #1
C2 --> Premiere 4XL

Do I need to be concerned about signal loss from the splitters?

What about cable length? -- distance from the tap to Premiere #1 and 4XL is about 120'

Since I'm reusing existing cables, I need a barrel nut / splice in both line B and line C (connecting the cables that are on either side of a couple of multiswitches at this point). Will I need to worry about signal loss there?

Thanks for any help / insight you can provide (I'm new to the whole MoCA concept).
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Teeps

With that many TiVos, especially if tuning adapters are in the system; insist that the cable co install a new cable from the pole or utility/service source, maybe 2.

Splitters can be a problem, get them from the cable co, or ask what their spec is for splitters. Less loss is better.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You don't need an adapter on the Premiere 4; it has built-in MoCA.

I had trouble with any powered splitters within the MoCA segment of my coax wiring. I don't think most powered splitters will pass the MoCA data.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
With that many TiVos, especially if tuning adapters are in the system; insist that the cable co install a new cable from the pole or utility/service source, maybe 2.
I won't be running any tuning adapters (Comcast isn't doing SDV in my area). So is "from the pole or utility/service source" the same as the box that's sitting on the side of our building that feeds the three units? or are you saying they should pull new cable through the conduits that run under the sidewalk and feed all the buildings on the block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Splitters can be a problem, get them from the cable co, or ask what their spec is for splitters. Less loss is better.
Yeah, since the landlord insists that Comcast do any drilling, this wasn't going to be a self-install, so I'll just wait until they show up and hope they'll provide/sell me whatever is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
So the P4 can "bridge" (I think that's the term) the MoCA and ethernet sides if I connect both coax and the ethernet port? If so, I could put the adapter I bought for it on the P2 that's currently hooked into my other switch and take some of the traffic off the ethernet side of things.

Quote:
I had trouble with any powered splitters within the MoCA segment of my coax wiring. I don't think most powered splitters will pass the MoCA data.
Are you thinking that I might need a powered splitter because of the length of the cable run?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Nutcase : 09-17-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarify why no DTAs
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcase View Post
I won't be running any tuning adapters (Comcast isn't doing SDV in my area).
That is good while it lasts; one less thing to cause problems, one less wall wart power supply to maintain.

Quote:
So is "from the pole or utility/service source" the same as the box that's sitting on the side of our building that feeds the three units?
In my case it's the cable from the utility pole to my house.
The reason I bring it up is, the cable to my home was chewed by a rodent, and caused a problem with tv service.
Internet did not appear to suffer from the damaged cable.

Quote:
Yeah, since the landlord insists that Comcast do any drilling, this wasn't going to be a self-install, so I'll just wait until they show up and hope they'll provide/sell me whatever is needed.
Let's hope that they "provide" the necessary hardware without extra charge.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
So the P4 can "bridge" (I think that's the term) the MoCA and ethernet sides if I connect both coax and the ethernet port? If so, I could put the adapter I bought for it on the P2 that's currently hooked into my other switch and take some of the traffic off the ethernet side of things.
Yes, the P4 can bridge between Moca and Ethernet. (I've got a friend who's networked his enterainment center that way. Everything is connected to an Ethernet switch, but the uplink is via the P4's (actually in this case an Elite (P4XL)) moca.

Only minor annoyance is that if the TiVo reboots because of an update (or any other reason) you lose internet connectivity for the rest of the devices for a minute or two.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Yes, the P4 can bridge between Moca and Ethernet.
Good to know, but I think I'll go ahead and use the MoCA adapter with the P4 so if it's knocked out of commission, the rest of the boxes won't suffer.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
fyodor

Quote:

It's my understanding the MoCA devices connected to the outputs of a powered splitter can communicate (a powered splitter is basically an amp then a splitter) but a device connected to an output cannot communicate with a device connected to an input.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote