Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
I don't think they're going for realistic with this show. A large expanse of concrete does not fit in with the look they are going for, hence the grassy plain with small trees. Modern tents don't go with the look, hence the white canvas tents held up with wood and rope. Bicycles don't go with the look, so there are no bicycles (though I have to imagine there will be some in later episodes).
Don't forget that modern tents and modern bicycles and modern guns, etc. all require electricity and mass-manufacturing techniques to build parts keep things operational. At some point, the stockpile of modern tents and bikes and other such things would get worn out and broken, and there would be no good way to fix them.* Hence, the return to natural materials that can be fashioned with manual tools.

*I realize it would take a lot longer than 15 years for all the bikes in the world to get broken beyond repair. But the point remains. Modern stuff would eventually break and would not be repairable without modern technology.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #122
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
A parking lot of a nearby vacant office building has gotten covered with grass and weeds in less than a third of that time.
A parking lot is typically only several inches to about 10 inches thick depending on expected volume and weight of vehicles. On average, you can expect a parking lot at a typical office building to be 4-7 inches. A runway at O'Hare would be about 4 feet thick. The apron (gate/parking areas) would be 1.5 to 2 feet thick. In addition, runways at large commercial airports tend to be made with concrete, while parking lots tend to use asphalt. Concrete is much more durable than asphalt.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #123
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
A parking lot is typically only several inches to about 10 inches thick depending on expected volume and weight of vehicles. On average, you can expect a parking lot at a typical office building to be 4-7 inches. A runway at O'Hare would be about 4 feet thick. The apron (gate/parking areas) would be 1.5 to 2 feet thick. In addition, runways at large commercial airports tend to be made with concrete, while parking lots tend to use asphalt. Concrete is much more durable than asphalt.
I don't think anyone is saying that grass would grow up through the concrete of a runway. But after many years of neglect, it would be very plausible for a layer of dirt to build up on top of the concrete, and grass and weeds could easly grown in that dirt.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #124
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Not quite. An airport runway may be 4 feet when accounting for subbase and compacted soil placement, but the actual concrete itself would be probably be somewhere between 12-18" (for instance, the Denver airport has 17" cement runways).
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #125
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that grass would grow up through the concrete of a runway. But after many years of neglect, it would be very plausible for a layer of dirt to build up on top of the concrete, and grass and weeds could easly grown in that dirt.
There were small trees growing there too, but I won't harp on the grassy airport complaint anymore.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #126
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

But the one thing that bothered me the most was the uncle's fighting abilities. Its one thing where Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill takes on the Crazy 88 Gang and kills or maims all of them with only a few cuts and scratches for herself.
Quoting because it made me laugh. I thought the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
It was like Jericho (really a LOT like Jericho) but the acting was a lot better, and there was no ridiculous SuperJake, so I was happy. Then came the scene with Miles killing the entire regiment, and sigh. It was SuperJake all over again. Ugh. I rolled my eyes and groaned. Now it's just like Jericho, with SuperMiles, but with better acting.
Agreed. I caught Jericho reruns and was sad when it was cancelled. I'll keep my SP because I don't watch anything else on Mondays.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #127
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Don't think it's been noted yet in this thread that the ratings for the pilot were huge:

From TVbythenumbers:

Quote:
The highly anticipated premiere of Revolution garnered a huge 4.1 18-49 rating, making it the highest rated drama debut in three years (since ABC's V, 5.2) and the highest rated NBC drama debut in 5 years (Bionic Woman, 5.7). It was up 39% from a 2.5 for last week's preview of The New Normal in the time period and up a whopping 156% from the premiere of the shortlived The Playboy Club last season (1.6.). It is also up 8% from the premiere of Smash on February 6, 2012, which also had The Voice as a lead-in.
Obviously there have been similar series that started high and quickly went downhill, but hopefully the audience will stick around for this and it will become a bona fide hit.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #128
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I notice the two shows they cite as even-higher premiere ratings are V (ulp) and Bionic Woman (ULP!)...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #129
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I agree, if you can have fires, hot soup, how do combustion and steam motors stop working?
I think the writers were more worried about taking our modern world and it's people to a pre-industrial revolution one where all of physics is broken, than thinking about if any of it makes sense with the physics of their new world. If it was just electricity then the cars wouldn't have powered down on the freeway, also the planes turbines would have kept spinning so no falling tubes of death falling down on the suburbs. I think I'm going to have issues with this show but SP remains. I'll try not to complain too loudly on these forums.

Imagine if the soldiers rolled into the town with one of these (and horses), I think it would have been way cooler.

Steam Powered Car
Even if the planes turbines kept spinning would there have even been a way to control them? With fly by wire system?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #130
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Don't think it's been noted yet in this thread that the ratings for the pilot were huge:

From TVbythenumbers:

Quote:
The highly anticipated premiere of Revolution garnered a huge 4.1 18-49 rating, making it the highest rated drama debut in three years (since ABC's V, 5.2)
Obviously there have been similar series that started high and quickly went downhill, but hopefully the audience will stick around for this and it will become a bona fide hit.
Since V?? We all know what happened to that show. Although it did at least make it to a second season.

I watched the revolution pilot again last night. Although I FF through some of it. I think my GF is even interested in watching this.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #131
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Yes, there's no guarantee that the ratings for this show won't fall off a cliff, as they did for The Event, FlashForward, V, Bionic Woman, etc. But at least they started high. That gives the producers a lot more rope to work with. The ball is now in their court to see if they can keep the audience interested.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #132
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
A parking lot of a nearby vacant office building has gotten covered with grass and weeds in less than a third of that time.
Asphalt or concrete?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #133
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
Asphalt or concrete?
Asphalt. While I could concede the concrete argument, it didn't seem all that out of place to me given my frame of reference to see it portrayed that way.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #134
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Yes, there's no guarantee that the ratings for this show won't fall off a cliff, as they did for The Event, FlashForward, V, Bionic Woman, etc. But at least they started high. That gives the producers a lot more rope to work with. The ball is now in their court to see if they can keep the audience interested.
This, exactly. The high* ratings don't mean anything other than give the show a little breathing room, and possibly a chance at drawing other viewers who may want to check it out.

* relatively speaking, of course.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #135
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Did planes used to land on it? I think the concrete at the airport would likely look very much like it does now 15 years after the loss of electricity, rather than the grassy plain with small trees that we saw in the show.
Yeah, the abandoned runway that they use on Mythbusters all the time isn't overgrown.

I liked seeing Billy Burke (Miles) be such a badass!

And the girls is hot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #136
mattack

Didn't read the whole thread.. Watched it last night.

The girl (Charlie) totally reminded me of someone, and it bugged me for a few minutes until it came to me -- from some angles, she reminds me of a younger version of Trishelle from "Real World" (almost exactly 10 years ago). She's not related.

I thought it was pretty good, I'll keep watching, as long as no conflicts with shows I like better happen.

The fighting seemed pretty well done -- yeah annoying that the arrow made the guy fly backwards.

You can poke holes in a lot of the other inconsistencies.. Since the kid eating ice cream was made a big deal -- can't you make ice cream without a freezer? At least without an electric freezer? You still have the ideal gas law to make things colder..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #137
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Not quite. An airport runway may be 4 feet when accounting for subbase and compacted soil placement, but the actual concrete itself would be probably be somewhere between 12-18" (for instance, the Denver airport has 17" cement runways).
Ah yeah, I was quoting total depth including the subbase. You are correct, the actual concrete for wide body capable runways would be about 17-20". The extension to 32L at O'Hare done back in the 80's I think was 21" thick concrete.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #138
Craigbob

Rewatched the pilot and have a few more thoughts. The Dad downloaded something to a USB flash drive that he then put into something that looked like the power supply teh woman used to power the PC at the end. It also looked like what he gave Google guy.

So does google guy have the USB drive or a power supply?
Also how old are google guy's glasses. since they apparently don't have the means to make glass as evidenced by the boarded up windows, his prescription must be pretty old, so old as to be useless. Not to mention teh frames look to be in good shape.

So Charlie lived with Dan and Mom near Chicago, and Bro Miles was in South Carolina.

How did Miles get to Chitown and why did they all move? Also why is Monroe there rather than being based in the south east?

Hopefully we'll get some answers.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #139
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
Also how old are google guy's glasses. since they apparently don't have the means to make glass as evidenced by the boarded up windows, his prescription must be pretty old, so old as to be useless. Not to mention teh frames look to be in good shape.
I've had the same glasses (lenses and frames) for almost 10 years. My prescription is very stable, so there hasn't been the need to change. Granted, I only wear them at night after I take my contacts out, so I'm not that rough on them.

I suspect that when you're in that situation, you just make do.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #140
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
My prescription has been stable for about 10 years.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #141
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I suspect that when you're in that situation, you just make do.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #142
getreal
postcrastinator

With all the swordplay, why no dismemberment or blood? When a bullet strikes, there is an immediate puff of atomized blood, but nothing from slashing blades?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #143
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
With all the swordplay, why no dismemberment or blood? When a bullet strikes, there is an immediate puff of atomized blood, but nothing from slashing blades?
Standards & Practices are strange people.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #144
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
-- yeah annoying that the arrow made the guy fly backwards.
Glad to see others noticed that as well. Must have been one heavy-ass arrow!

I'm really anxious to hear the reason electricity doesn't work anymore. The Goggle guy did say something about the laws of physics going wonky or something didn't he?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #145
chronatog7
Ill 'Gotten Gains!

I will give this show one more episode. I found it a little weak. That bother me the most was the lack of tear and wear on their clothes. Everyone scene had brand new leather and shirts like it was an Abercrombie catalog. LOL.

Also, spending some days in the woods while traveling to Chicago can probably make you a little dirty. Not on this show, everyone is pristine.

I get it, but something had very little production value (e.g. the blood in the face of the father when dying. Look like paint).

The whole planet reverted to the 1800's when the electricity went out.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #146
dtle

Does the Google guy not do any manually labor? Like Hurley, why is still so fat? (Unlike Hurley, he had 15 years to lose weight.)
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #147
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
My prescription has been stable for about 10 years.
Even if his eyesight had degraded, wearing the old glasses would still be far better than going without.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #148
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I'm really anxious to hear the reason electricity doesn't work anymore.
<Colonel O'Neill>
Magnets!
</Colonel O'Neill>
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #149
whitson77
Director Level

Enjoyed it okay. Agree with those that they need to be a little bit more gritty. Not so hollywood...
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #150
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

In purgatory, clothes probably remain clean and vegetation probably grows at an alarming state. I'm just sayin'
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote