TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
atomarchio

Convering MP4 for Streambaby but nothing out of center channel?

I am converting video files to MP4 for playback on Streambaby.

It works fine but have been noticing I can't hear the spoken dialogue and am turning up/down volume during the entire video.

I have Left-Right-Center speakers in my AV receiver(Sony 3500ES) but am noticing no sound of center channel. I am not using surround sound on receiver but the multi-channel stero where sound comes out of all 3 speakers.

When coverting the file to MP4, is there a way to add convert the file so sound will come through center channel?

I am using Handbrack and also have Aimersoft Video Converter.

I need help with the correct audio settings to get sound through center channel.

Please help. Thank you.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does the resulting file have AC3 audio? Or is it being recoded to AAC? If it's AC3 then you need to make adjustments on your A/V receiver. If it's AAC then you need to play with the options in your conversion program and increase the compression. Compression will make the dialog louder and the sound effects softer when converting to stereo.

Might also want to check that it's NOT using 5.1 AAC. AAC has the ability to store 5.1 but very few devices support it. So if that's what it has the TiVo might just be throwing out the extra channels and only playing Left/Right, which would exclude most of the dialog.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
atomarchio

Here is the information for the source file before I convert to MP4 in Handbrake.

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 1h 40mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.06 GiB (24%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

I am converting the file now in MP4 to Handbrake.

Under the audio tab in Handbrake under source it says,

1 English DTS 5.1
AAC (Faac)
Dolby ProLogic II

I don't see anything that refernces AC3 audio.

As it appears you're right about the AAC, what setting should I change under Handbrake when converting to MP4?

Or should I use the Aimersoft Video Converter instead? That seems to have more options but I don't understand most of them.

Please help. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
bigguy126

I use handbrake too and had this same problem. There should be a setting for AC3 passthru on the audio tab. This will preserve the dolby and center channel.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy126 View Post
I use handbrake too and had this same problem. There should be a setting for AC3 passthru on the audio tab. This will preserve the dolby and center channel.
When I ran the mediainfo for this file, it did not say AC3 anywhere though.

I see 3 passthrough options. There is AAC passthrough, AC3 passthrough, DTS passthrough, or auto passthrough.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
When I ran the mediainfo for this file, it did not say AC3 anywhere though.

I see 3 passthrough options. There is AAC passthrough, AC3 passthrough, DTS passthrough, or auto passthrough.

Please let me know. Thank you.
As per the PP you need to select AC3 passthrough.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
When I select AC3 passthrough, it automatically changes my selection to DTS passthrough.

It's also changing to DTS passthrough for any of the other "passthrough" options.

Do I need to change another setting?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
atomarchio

Quote:
I used Hanbrake with the DTS passthrough as that was the only option it would allow.

Here is the detail on the audio.

Audio
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 1.06 GiB (24%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Is there any other setting in Handbrake I should try to improve this?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
moyekj

Source video doesn't have AC3 audio so passthru is not going to help. I don't think Handbrake can encode AC3 audio (only pass it through) so you may have to use something else like ffmpeg if you want AC3. Otherwise your best bet is to switch to 2 channel AAC using Hanbrake which will play properly via TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Source video doesn't have AC3 audio so passthru is not going to help. I don't think Handbrake can encode AC3 audio (only pass it through) so you may have to use something else like ffmpeg if you want AC3. Otherwise your best bet is to switch to 2 channel AAC using Hanbrake which will play properly via TiVo.
It does work but the spoken dialogue is quite low.

What I am looking for is a way to get the audio playing through my center channel speaker? The spoken dialogue is very low and then I have to turn up the volume which causes the sound effects to be too loud.

I have Aimersoft video converter will try that also. Any suggestions for resolving my issue?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
moyekj

That's why I say if you are going to have AAC audio then you should make it 2 channel so that you can hear dialog properly. Basically with TiVo there's limited audio options: AC3 or 2 channel AAC (as you've seen >2 channel AAC doesn't really work properly), so if you are going to use AAC then 2 channel will guarantee that it works properly (assuming Handbrake encodes properly down to 2 channel audio).

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
atomarchio

Quote:
That's why I say if you are going to have AAC audio then you should make it 2 channel so that you can hear dialog properly. Basically with TiVo there's limited audio options: AC3 or 2 channel AAC (as you've seen >2 channel AAC doesn't really work properly), so if you are going to use AAC then 2 channel will guarantee that it works properly (assuming Handbrake encodes properly down to 2 channel audio).
What is the setting in Handbrake for 2 channel AAC? It defaults to AAC (faac).

Should I change this setting to AAC (ffmpeg)?

Do I need to change any other audio settings in handbrake?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
moyekj

I haven't used HB GUI in a long time and don't have access right now but I'm pretty sure there are options somewhere to specifically set how many audio channels you want. (FAAC is fine)

Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
atomarchio

Quote:
I haven't used HB GUI in a long time and don't have access right now but I'm pretty sure there are options somewhere to specifically set how many audio channels you want. (FAAC is fine)
The options are Automatic, None, Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic II, and 6 channel discrete.

I am guessing Stereo would be 2-channel, right?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
lew

Quote:
Handbrake has an option AC3 (ffmpeg). Would this work for the OP?
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
moyekj

Quote:
Handbrake has an option AC3 (ffmpeg). Would this work for the OP?
Sounds like it, yes. I guess it means it uses ffmpeg for AC3 encoding.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
atomarchio

Quote:
Sounds like it, yes. I guess it means it uses ffmpeg for AC3 encoding.
I was able to do this with Handbrake. Is there a particular setting on my AV receiver that I should be using?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I was able to do this with Handbrake. Is there a particular setting on my AV receiver that I should be using?
If you have AC3 audio in output video then receiver should get Dolby and be good to go. I would try a short clip and check the output specs of the resulting video to make sure it has H.264 + AC3.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
atomarchio

Quote:
If you have AC3 audio in output video then receiver should get Dolby and be good to go. I would try a short clip and check the output specs of the resulting video to make sure it has H.264 + AC3.
Here is the audio. Yes, I has AC-3 and Dolby Digital. It says L-R channel positions but I am getting audio out of my center channel.

What are the settings I should be using on my receiver?

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format profile : Dolby Digital
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : ac-3
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Bit depth : 16 bits
Delay relative to video : -83ms
Stream size : 115 MiB (7%)
Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-14 19:26:37
Tagged date : UTC 2012-09-14 19:58:21
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
moyekj

I think you're good to go as is though are you sure you can't get 6 channel AC3 using ffmpeg? (Could be ffmpeg AC3 encoding can only do 2 channel).

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
atomarchio

Quote:
I think you're good to go as is though are you sure you can't get 6 channel AC3 using ffmpeg? (Could be ffmpeg AC3 encoding can only do 2 channel).
I only have 3 speakers. Left-Center-Right.

I am using 3 speaker/3 channel in my setup. Is that right?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
moyekj

Yes.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should be able to convert the audio to AC3. In Handbreak set the Audio Codec option to AC3 (ffmpeg) then the Downmix option to "6 channel discrete". That will recode the DTS audio to full 5.1 AC3 which should sound fine on your system.

If you still have trouble hearing it play with the gain and range settings in the advanced section.

Dan
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #24
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You should be able to convert the audio to AC3. In Handbreak set the Audio Codec option to AC3 (ffmpeg) then the Downmix option to "6 channel discrete". That will recode the DTS audio to full 5.1 AC3 which should sound fine on your system.

If you still have trouble hearing it play with the gain and range settings in the advanced section.

Dan
Would 6 channel discrete make send if I only have the left-center-right speakers?

Do you know which audio settings in handbrake I can adjust to increase the spoken dialogue while decreasing the movie sound effects? I have noticed improvement but I need to figure out how to even out the audio so I don't have to increase/decrease volume for an entire movie.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
atomarchio

Quote:

Dan
I see the range setting in handbrake as you mentioned. My source file before the conversion to AC3 (ffmpeg) does not allow the range setting to be changed.

However, once the file is converted to AC3 I can then adjust range setting.

Is there a way to adjust range setting without to having to convert the file twice? (first to AC3, second to adjust range)
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

6 channel discrete will simply convert the audio from DTS to AC3 which your system should be able to decode by itself. If DVDs and other 5.1 content sound OK with your 3 speaker setup then this should work fine.

If it doesn't work then go to AAC stereo and play with the range and gain settings.

Dan
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
atomarchio

Quote:
6 channel discrete will simply convert the audio from DTS to AC3 which your system should be able to decode by itself. If DVDs and other 5.1 content sound OK with your 3 speaker setup then this should work fine.

If it doesn't work then go to AAC stereo and play with the range and gain settings.

Dan
I am getting sound of center channel now. Problem I am having is that the movie starts and I set the volume usually to spoken dialogue or into to the movie.

Then when it gets to the sound effects the sound is way to loud. So the entire time I have to manually increase/decrease volume for an entire movie depending on the sound/event.

I am setting DRC to 4 and then trying to lower the gain. Is that what I should be changing to prevent this from happening? I am not getting the results I hoped for.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
atomarchio

I can't get the Dynamic Range Compression working. Even when I set that number to 4, I still find myself decreasing/increase volume for an entire movie.

The gain works but that's not going to help. Can anyone help me with that?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Compression can only help so much. I run into this a lot with movies as well. Dialog too low, sound effects way too loud. When that happens I go into the settings of my HT system and just crank up the volume for the center speaker, then adjust the overall volume accordingly. Most of the dialog comes from the center speaker so that usually helps, but it's not perfect either. Apparently the people who do the sound for movies assume everyone wants their teeth to rattle when watching a movie with special effects.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
atomarchio

Quote:
Compression can only help so much. I run into this a lot with movies as well. Dialog too low, sound effects way too loud. When that happens I go into the settings of my HT system and just crank up the volume for the center speaker, then adjust the overall volume accordingly. Most of the dialog comes from the center speaker so that usually helps, but it's not perfect either. Apparently the people who do the sound for movies assume everyone wants their teeth to rattle when watching a movie with special effects.

Dan
Even when cranking up the center channel, I still get the teeth rattling sound when an explosion comes on during a move. I've heard that before about turning up center channel but there's plenty of other sound from the center speak besides dialogue.

I was hoping changing the DRC setting would help but I don't find that to be much difference between 0 and 4 (max).