TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
LDLDL

Tivo and Android Devices Help

After reading about the Stream, I decided to download the Tivo App for Tablets. I have a Droid X, Motorola Xoom, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy 10.1. For IOS, there's iPod Touch (2nd & 3rd gen.) and an iPad (4G LTE). Gadget heaven here.... What I haven't been able to figure out for the last two days is why all of the IOS devices connect right away to the Tivos and the Android devices won't. I've been reading the forums for an answer and can't find one. I figured a response from this forum would be a whole lot better than calling Tivo and going through all one has to go through to resolve a problem. Does any one have an answer? Thanks for your help!
LDLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
LDLDL

What I should have also mentioned is that I have Fios and am using an Actiontec Router. Because Fios didn't offer wireless n when I switched from Comcast, I still had to use my Linksys e3000 router along with the Fios router(disabling the wireless portion). No throw Moca into the mix and now I don't see my PC on any of my Tivos. I really feel that my setup is the problem with Android devices.
Fios now offers wireless n on the newer routers and I plan on going today to Verizon and switching them. I can save the Linksys for when I switch back to Comcast.
If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to all options. Thanks!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
SeekAGeek

I feel your pain ....

Have exactly same situation with FIOS router et al. I suspect that the Kindle Fire (and Android devices in general) need to have one or more ports open for them to see and communicate with the TiVo....BUT I don't know what ports....sigh!

Like you, all of my Apple devices have the TiVo app and everyone of them work great.

Hope someone knows the router ports that the Kindle Fire requires.
SeekAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
global_dev

I am on FIOS & 4year old actiontec, i don't know the ports required, but I am running the Tivo app on a Galaxy Nexus CM 10 and HP Touchpad CM9 and both have been able to connect. It's a bit slow to connect to the Tivos compared to other network apps, but it works and has been for months.

I did nothing to the router configuration. I can connect to different wireless APs on the network and all works. perhaps you can just hardcode in the IP address of the TIVO, i know that option is available.
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
global_dev

here is a short mention of kindle and the tivo app
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...92#post9032692
Quote:
I got the app to work with my Kindle Fire by unchecking the Multicasting option in my router

global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

The issues seem to be router dependent. I had issues with my old Dlink DGl-4500 router. But my GFs Dlink DIR-615 router was fine. And I'm not having issues with my current Asus Rt-N56U router.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDLDL View Post
What I should have also mentioned is that I have Fios and am using an Actiontec Router. Because Fios didn't offer wireless n when I switched from Comcast, I still had to use my Linksys e3000 router along with the Fios router(disabling the wireless portion). No throw Moca into the mix and now I don't see my PC on any of my Tivos. I really feel that my setup is the problem with Android devices.
Fios now offers wireless n on the newer routers and I plan on going today to Verizon and switching them. I can save the Linksys for when I switch back to Comcast.
If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to all options. Thanks!!!
For $79.99 you can get the wireless n gigabit actiontec directly from verizon https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fio...isplayProducts
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
LDLDL

I figured out my problem. The problem was the wireless n router which was attached to the actiontec router. When I had comcast, my tivos were connected via wireless n adapters. everything worked great. When I switched to Verizon, I HAD to use their combination modem/router which wasn't wireless n. There were directions for connecting both so I could use wireless n for the tivo adapters. Enter MoCA...., Now the wireless adapters are all in a box and the network is doing fine. I then realized after I couldn't connect android devices to my tivos that the culprit must have been with the fact that I had two routers. I don't need wireless n for anything in the house so I disconnected the linksys e3000. Gave the actiontec the same ssid and password and everything worked perfectly. All the android devices connected immediately as well as the apple devices.

Now I'm hunting for MoCA configuration guidelines as I can't get my computers to show up on the tivos. Desktop Plus shows which go through the main computer won't show up anymore like they did when I was using the wireless tivo adapters.

Thanks for listening and of course many thanks for the replies....

@ poppagene.... I did call Verizon and I didn't want to spend $80 for a combination router/modem that I feel that they should supply. They wanted me to upgrade to a higher tier in order for them to supply me with the wireless router. Plus what am I going to do with it if I ever leave Verizon.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
poppagene
User

the good thing about being a late fios adopter is that my fios included the newest router.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
LDLDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
the good thing about being a late fios adopter is that my fios included the newest router.
I don't suppose you use MoCA adapters?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
poppagene
User

I use old actiontec mi424wr fios routers as moca switches
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
For $79.99 you can get the wireless n gigabit actiontec directly from verizon https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fio...isplayProducts
Or you can get some better routers than what Actiontec offers. I now have four Actiontecs gathering dust in my closet that FiOS has given me over teh last five years. My most recent one was from my upgrade to the 150/65 tier in early August. While the newer ones are certainly better than what FiOS supplied me five years ago, there are still plenty of other brands of routers around that provide more than what the newer Actiontecs do.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDLDL View Post
I figured out my problem. The problem was the wireless n router which was attached to the actiontec router. When I had comcast, my tivos were connected via wireless n adapters. everything worked great. When I switched to Verizon, I HAD to use their combination modem/router which wasn't wireless n. There were directions for connecting both so I could use wireless n for the tivo adapters. Enter MoCA...., Now the wireless adapters are all in a box and the network is doing fine. I then realized after I couldn't connect android devices to my tivos that the culprit must have been with the fact that I had two routers. I don't need wireless n for anything in the house so I disconnected the linksys e3000. Gave the actiontec the same ssid and password and everything worked perfectly. All the android devices connected immediately as well as the apple devices.

Now I'm hunting for MoCA configuration guidelines as I can't get my computers to show up on the tivos. Desktop Plus shows which go through the main computer won't show up anymore like they did when I was using the wireless tivo adapters.

Thanks for listening and of course many thanks for the replies....

@ poppagene.... I did call Verizon and I didn't want to spend $80 for a combination router/modem that I feel that they should supply. They wanted me to upgrade to a higher tier in order for them to supply me with the wireless router. Plus what am I going to do with it if I ever leave Verizon.
I use pytivo rather than desktop plus so I can't help you with that specific issue, but you should check to make sure the computers and the tivos are on the same network. When my tivos stop seeing my computers, rebooting the actiontec router and the computer running pytivo often works for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
LDLDL

Quote:
I use pytivo rather than desktop plus so I can't help you with that specific issue, but you should check to make sure the computers and the tivos are on the same network. When my tivos stop seeing my computers, rebooting the actiontec router and the computer running pytivo often works for me.
Thanks much! I'll check.