TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #91
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I really want one of these, but not sure if I will use it much, but still want one! Is this normal?
Do you have an iPad? You want one also.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #92
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Do you have an iPad? You want one also.
Yes, I have an iPad 3 and two Premiers with one being a new 4-tuner model. So I know I'm a prime candidate for a Stream. The problem is I have three HD TV's (Living room, Computer room, and master Bedroom), so I'm trying to understand where I might use my iPad in my home to watch TV or even if I want to. I may get use out of it to download though. I'm either going to talk myself into it or out of it?
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #93
aaronwt
HD Addict

I could have used a stream on Sunday, if it would have worked with Android. I watched the first half of the Redskins game on an HDTV, but at halftime I started playing some Modern Warfare 3. So I was streaming the game on my Kindle Fire from my Hava HD connected to my Premiere. That way I could see what was going on with the football game while playing MW3. Using the Stream would have been better.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #94
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I could have used a stream on Sunday, if it would have worked with Android.
Hey Aaron, we get it, you want it on your beloved Android. You've only brought this up about a thousand times now.

Patience, Grasshopper, it's coming...
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #95
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I have an iPad 3 and two Premiers with one being a new 4-tuner model. So I know I'm a prime candidate for a Stream. The problem is I have three HD TV's (Living room, Computer room, and master Bedroom), so I'm trying to understand where I might use my iPad in my home to watch TV or even if I want to. I may get use out of it to download though. I'm either going to talk myself into it or out of it?
Bathroom?

Be ware that the downloading only works on non-copyprotected channels. So if you have one of those canble comapnies that protects everything then the downloading wont be much use. Mine only protects premium channels so I can download most things, but others protect everything except the locals so they can't download much of anything.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #96
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Bathroom?

Be ware that the downloading only works on non-copyprotected channels. So if you have one of those canble comapnies that protects everything then the downloading wont be much use. Mine only protects premium channels so I can download most things, but others protect everything except the locals so they can't download much of anything.

Dan
I wouldn't hesitate a minute if movies were not protected but they are. I'm with Comcast, there's quite a bit that is not protected but it seems most movies are for sure, at least that is what I have come across from trying to transfer from one Premier to another. But, still considering a Strem or a $98 Vulkano Flow for the addition of out of network use.

Last edited by Finalrinse : 09-12-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Changed Lava to Flow
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #97
HenryFarpolo

Smile

Quote:
I really want one of these, but not sure if I will use it much, but still want one! Is this normal?
Perfectly!!
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #98
overFEDEXed

Bathroom

Dan,

I have a Premiere in my Master Bathroom. Or should I say my wife does.
She watches Big Brother while she gets ready for work.

Anyway, It will SOON be replaced with a Mini.

Come on Mini, come on.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #99
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
I'll just quote from the support article (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...05/kw/stream): "At this time, the TiVo Stream does not support Android and other mobile devices."

I accidentally bolded the first three words but I cannot disclose why. I wish I could put in something definitive here, but for now, this is for iOS devices only.
Any non-comments on the possibility of streaming outside the house someday?

Will the API to request streams be open?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #100
nrc
Cracker Soul

Interesting, email promo says "Due to overwhelming response quantities are limited." Sounds like they underestimated their first production run.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #101
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I could have used a stream on Sunday, if it would have worked with Android. I watched the first half of the Redskins game on an HDTV, but at halftime I started playing some Modern Warfare 3. So I was streaming the game on my Kindle Fire from my Hava HD connected to my Premiere. That way I could see what was going on with the football game while playing MW3. Using the Stream would have been better.
its funny you say that. I only bought this so i can play video games and watch tv at same time.

or on sunday to stream red zone to the ipad
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #102
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Dan,

I have a Premiere in my Master Bathroom. Or should I say my wife does.
She watches Big Brother while she gets ready for work.

Anyway, It will SOON be replaced with a Mini.

Come on Mini, come on.
Who have a TV in the Bathroom? You people have too much money, I am currently accepting donations.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #103
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post

Who have a TV in the Bathroom? You people have too much money, I am currently accepting donations.
In fairness, he said he had a Premiere in the master bathroom, not a TV.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #104
Finalrinse

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate a minute if movies were not protected but they are. I'm with Comcast, there's quite a bit that is not protected but it seems most movies are for sure, at least that is what I have come across from trying to transfer from one Premier to another. But, still considering a Strem or a $98 Vulkano Flow for the addition of out of network use.
I ordered a "Vulkano Flow" for $98 from Amazon and will get it today. The app is $12.99 for iPad/iPod/iPhone. I know it is not a direct replacement for the Stream, but I'm looking to gain access to my TiVo away from home so hope this will serve dual purpose. I will report back with how well it works if anyone is interested.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #105
dugbug

Quote:
I ordered a "Vulkano Flow" for $98 from Amazon and will get it today. The app is $12.99 for iPad/iPod/iPhone. I know it is not a direct replacement for the Stream, but I'm looking to gain access to my TiVo away from home so hope this will serve dual purpose. I will report back with how well it works if anyone is interested.
How does the vulkano know whats on the tivo or are you just going to use it as a remote control looking at the live display streamed?

The tivo stream box has several advantages and one disadvangate that pisses me off:
1. It is like random access streaming: integrated into the tivo app browsing in-app the contents of your tivos.
2. Does not take over your tivo

And the thing that irks me
3. No airplay (according to reports). You HAVE to watch the tivo show on the device. No external display via airplay.

Since the tivo mini (according to reports) won't support my 2-tuner premier the stream looked to be a good way to make up for watching tivo content in an adjacent room sans another tivo and more cable card crap, etc. Maybe 2 tuner premiers will drop in price and Ill just get one as analog cable/multi-room viewer (wonder about subscription costs too).

-d
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #106
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
How does the vulkano know whats on the tivo or are you just going to use it as a remote control looking at the live display streamed?
-d
The component output of the TiVo is plugged into the Flow, you tell the Flow what type of STB you have and in my case a Premier TiVo. The Flow even has a look alike onscreen TiVo remote for the PC software application. I only have a few hours of use. First use was with my PC, and it worked very good, I could go full screen on my 30" Dell 2550 x 1600 and what ever scaling it was doing it looked very good with no hickups or stutters. Next use was with my iPad 3 in my home, it also looked very good with no problems, even full screen. Then I took my wife to Kohl's shopping, I sat in the car and watched live TV, changed channels etc... It worked well on the normal video setting which produced a smaller window on the iPad. If I went full screen it looked not so good. There's a bit of a lag going through the TiVo menu and changing channels using remotely but I think that is expected. I was able to access all the TiVo menu items, My Shows, etc... They also have their own TV Guide that is downloaded so that works quicker if you choose to use that. So far quite pleased. If you want to watch the Flow on another TV, say in a vacation home you need to buy another Vulkano box, either a Lava or Blast. Again, not a direct replacement for the Stream just something different.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #107
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate a minute if movies were not protected but they are.
You realize you can stream anything right? Even protected content. You just can't side load the protected stuff.

Also the advantage to the Stream, compared to the Slingbox or Vulkano is that it does not tie up the TiVo. So someone can be watching a show on the TiVo via the TV and you can watch a different show on the iPad.

Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #108
tomhorsley

I don't suppose there are any plans for a Windows streaming client?
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #109
Dan203
Super Moderator

That would be nice. I'd like to see an updated TiVo Desktop that can talk to the Stream. Or at the very least a Windows 8 metro app.

Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #110
Finalrinse

Quote:
You realize you can stream anything right? Even protected content. You just can't side load the protected stuff.

Also the advantage to the Stream, compared to the Slingbox or Vulkano is that it does not tie up the TiVo. So someone can be watching a show on the TiVo via the TV and you can watch a different show on the iPad.

Dan
Dan- If I rent a movie from Amazon Prime on one of my Premiers can I stream it from the Stream. I know I can't from my other Premier, it has the red circle and line through it only allowing to watch it from the Premier it was rented on. If you can stream it from the Stream this is great?

I am not worried about tying up one of my Tivos with a Vulkano as I have my own, but I know this is not the case for most people.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #111
ShayL

Quote:
Dan
I would like to add to what Dan is saying which I completely agree with. You are not relying on the IR blaster and the imho quirky slingplayer controls.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #112
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dan- If I rent a movie from Amazon Prime on one of my Premiers can I stream it from the Stream. I know I can't from my other Premier, it has the red circle and line through it only allowing to watch it from the Premier it was rented on. If you can stream it from the Stream this is great?
No Amazon movies can not be streamed, but you can get those directly on your iPad using the Amazon app so why would you need to?

However all recorded content can be streamed. That includes movies from HBO, etc... that are normally protected from transferring.

Dan
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #113
Finalrinse

Quote:
No Amazon movies can not be streamed, but you can get those directly on your iPad using the Amazon app so why would you need to?

However all recorded content can be streamed. That includes movies from HBO, etc... that are normally protected from transferring.

Dan
Well, my wife rents movies on the premier 4 in the main living room and sometimes it would be nice to watch them on the other Premier or the iPad without renting them again.

The other part is good though.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #114
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I would like to add to what Dan is saying which I completely agree with. You are not relying on the IR blaster and the imho quirky slingplayer controls.
I agree about the Slingplayer, the Vulkano seems to work really nice though. I will probably buy a Stream too, I like all this stuff!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #115
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, my wife rents movies on the premier 4 in the main living room and sometimes it would be nice to watch them on the other Premier or the iPad without renting them again.

The other part is good though.

Thanks,
Tom
I don't think you'd have to rent them again. I think you can go to you Amazon account and just tell it to download to another TiVo. And for the iPad I think it's streamed, not downloaded, so that should be instant.

That being said it would be nice if they'd allow streaming of Amazon downloads.

Dan
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #116
aaronwt
HD Addict

If it's a rental, you only get a short viewing period. If it's a purchase(like a TV episode since I think all TV episodes are still purchases). Then you can always go back and have it downloaded to another TiVo. As long as you haven't reached your limit of the types of devices it can be on. Then you need to delete a copy of a device to be able to put it on another one.
And of course those titles that are purchased can be streamed to the devices that are capable of streaming. At least it seems like all my TV episode purchases over the last four years show up to stream on my Kindle Fire HD and other Amazon streaming devices.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #117
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I don't understand why you need a new box to stream - Tivo is already networked, and I can stream data off my NAS without a different box.

I thought this was going to be like the streaming only Moxi boxes, the smaller ones you'd buy for each room to stream off the original box. This just seems like a money grab to me.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #118
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I don't understand why you need a new box to stream - Tivo is already networked, and I can stream data off my NAS without a different box.

I thought this was going to be like the streaming only Moxi boxes, the smaller ones you'd buy for each room to stream off the original box. This just seems like a money grab to me.
As it has already been covered multiple times, iPads don't support Mpeg2 so it has to be transcoded into a format that the iPad supports.

The TiVo's version of the Moxi box is called the Mini and is coming soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #119
ShayL

Quote:

The TiVo equivalent to moxi mate will the TiVo Mini. The stream is just to stream to iphone or iPad currently. It also supports downloading directly to the ios app if the content is not marked copy protected so you take the content outside of your home.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #120
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

TiVos record in MPEG-2 and iPads, and most portable devices, can only play MPEG-4 video. The Stream sits in the middle and transcodes.

Dan